Lets see some full size pictures...

dnorrell

Adventurer
We are LOVING our new Power Wagon! It's been the perfect vehicle four our new adventure-mobile and has been an absolute joy so far as we explore Montana for the summer. Here's a picture of picnic time on the tailgate at Two Medicine in Glacier. It was breezy and overcast, but the natural beauty of the place is undeniable!

LXkcpiTv

As I might have mentioned before, we travel full time (currently Airbnbs) and are looking forward to getting this rig setup for pulling the new Casita travel trailer we are picking up this fall!

The only thing I've been less than smitten with is the Snugtop shell. We've explored quite a few back roads in Glacier, and the vibrations of traveling dirt roads have loosened the shell twice now, both times damaging the paint to either the truck or the shell. It also shipped with a small wave in the fiberglass (looks a bit like a crease in sheet metal) which surprised me given the quality I've experienced with previous Snugtop and ARE shells. I called about the fasteners loosening and the shell moving around on the bed rails, and Snugtop simply told me their shells aren't designed for use on dirt roads and that I would need to tighten/adjust every couple weeks. To be honest, that surprised me. Ah well.

Nosferatu49534

Observer
We are LOVING our new Power Wagon! It's been the perfect vehicle four our new adventure-mobile and has been an absolute joy so far as we explore Montana for the summer. Here's a picture of picnic time on the tailgate at Two Medicine in Glacier. It was breezy and overcast, but the natural beauty of the place is undeniable!

LXkcpiTv

As I might have mentioned before, we travel full time (currently Airbnbs) and are looking forward to getting this rig setup for pulling the new Casita travel trailer we are picking up this fall!

The only thing I've been less than smitten with is the Snugtop shell. We've explored quite a few back roads in Glacier, and the vibrations of traveling dirt roads have loosened the shell twice now, both times damaging the paint to either the truck or the shell. It also shipped with a small wave in the fiberglass (looks a bit like a crease in sheet metal) which surprised me given the quality I've experienced with previous Snugtop and ARE shells. I called about the fasteners loosening and the shell moving around on the bed rails, and Snugtop simply told me their shells aren't designed for use on dirt roads and that I would need to tighten/adjust every couple weeks. To be honest, that surprised me. Ah well.
Beautiful scenery. :) so I guess snugtop expects you to turn around if you are a dirt road. Seems kinda silly to me.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Have you tried using bolts with nylock nuts on them? I had an issue with an older shell loosening and after going that route, never had another issue

Nice looking rig

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Yep, just drill some holes in that bad boy and use bolts with lock washers or nylock nuts. Use plates or large washers to spread the force and you should be good to go.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Use plates or large washers to spread the force and you should be good to go.

I did that too. Went to the hardware store and bought some thick aluminum flat stock that would fit in the upper and lower channel. Drilled a hole in the flat stock to allow the bolt to feed through and figured that would help distribute the force of the bolt holding it down tight

dnorrell

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments and ideas. The default Snugtop install setup has a single bolt, a J-clamp with welded nut that wraps under the bedrail lip, and a lock nut that should keep the bolt from backing out. I reckon the first adjustment was needed due to seal compression, but I'm not certain about the second. The things are only supposed to be torqued to 15 in lbs, and I'm just hoping the initial loose setup -- 4 of 6 were loose enough to wiggle up/down -- didn't allow excess vibration to damage fiberglass bed rail part of shell. This being my 3rd Snugtop, I can say with certainty that their quality control has gone downhill (yes, I'm a picky bast*$d too), but I'm hopeful I will find a solution that restores my confidence in the setup. It's a disconcerting sound to hear the top edge of the shell ********** the back of the cab when you get a bit of axle hop in a break in traction :Wow1: - that was what did the most damage so far. They try to mold these things so closely to the contours of the cab that there's not a lot of room for frame flex, especially if your shell starts to wander. If there's a next time, I think this will be my last Snugtop.

I'll give some thought to the solution of bolting through bed rails. I don't like the sound of it, but that would certainly be the most secure with some aluminum plate to distribute force of clamp.

Cheers!

armymgdude

Observer
Thanks for the compliments and ideas. The default Snugtop install setup has a single bolt, a J-clamp with welded nut that wraps under the bedrail lip, and a lock nut that should keep the bolt from backing out. I reckon the first adjustment was needed due to seal compression, but I'm not certain about the second. The things are only supposed to be torqued to 15 in lbs, and I'm just hoping the initial loose setup -- 4 of 6 were loose enough to wiggle up/down -- didn't allow excess vibration to damage fiberglass bed rail part of shell. This being my 3rd Snugtop, I can say with certainty that their quality control has gone downhill (yes, I'm a picky bast*$d too), but I'm hopeful I will find a solution that restores my confidence in the setup. It's a disconcerting sound to hear the top edge of the shell ********** the back of the cab when you get a bit of axle hop in a break in traction :Wow1: - that was what did the most damage so far. They try to mold these things so closely to the contours of the cab that there's not a lot of room for frame flex, especially if your shell starts to wander. If there's a next time, I think this will be my last Snugtop.

I'll give some thought to the solution of bolting through bed rails. I don't like the sound of it, but that would certainly be the most secure with some aluminum plate to distribute force of clamp.

Cheers!
After having a fiberglass canopy on my last Ram, I will never get another one. It was a custom ordered Leer. Leaked like a sieve and everytime I opened the back hatch water came in because of the stylish angle. You are not the first Powerwagon to get a dented cab from the canopy, I read about another guy on the powerwagon registry having the same issue. I ordered a custom contractor canopy for mine in aluminum. Side doors are handy even on a tall truck, and no water in the back with the straight up and down rear hatch. There is a big gap between the cab and canopy so no issue there, but I could hit my canoe on the cab if it flexes too much. You may want to think about adding a couple aluminum canopy clamps in addition to the snugtop clamps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dnorrell

Adventurer
You may want to think about adding a couple aluminum canopy clamps in addition to the snugtop clamps.

That's a great suggestion, and I think I'll try that before drilling bed rails. On the water ingress from hatch, this is one thing I really like about the Snugtop with the curved rear glass. The cap is molded around the glass hatch in such a way that, when the hatch is open, it dumps water into a recessed gutter that then flows around the opening and expelled away from tailgate. I think that was thoughtful design!

Stoney126

Adventurer
Wanted some seat covers for the truck but didn't want to spend $200+ per row. Decided to give the cheaper Cabela's covers a shot since they were on sale. All in for both front buckets and the rear bench I'm out $70. The quality and fabric is MUCH better than I expected. For my truck the fit is pretty darned good. I went with the digi-camo so it wouldn't show the crap as easily.
2007%20F350%20015_zpsjeag2khc.jpg

2007%20F350%20019_zpsfvjx8j7d.jpg

I have the tan version in place of camo. Got them on sale. I've had em for about 5 years. Theyou are a little sun faded but have held up real well.

Crash80

HAHA, the first truck is from my younger "muddin" days. Thanks for the compliment on the white truck.
Ha when I first saw this, I thought, wow wash it off, and it looks like a different truck! I really like that XL 11th gen. Always a fan of the super cabs (I'm biased).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior