4a3016bcbf1f535359134fd2eba5a7c8.jpg

‘Bout as full size as it gets... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ogre

43dec3d54d9298400acef6dabe24b976.jpg

My two Fullsize.
2003 expedition 4x4 5.4

1997 expedition 4x4 5.4

No picture of my trailer but it’s a 7x16 enclosed trailer that I keep all my camp gear in...
Haven’t decided on any real plans for the 97 expedition yet. The 2003 is my wife’s daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. I have a local vendor that I use work work that builds a very quality composite body that is about half the weight of the metal ones. I have switched our fleet over to them and we have seen a substantial increase in fuel and also being able to downgrade our trucks due to the weight savings. Everytime I see one of my trucks, I always think it'd make a great camping rig.

I have some reservations about the trailer as well. However, I do like the idea of being able to have everything ready to go. I also feel I could accomplish the same thing by having a service body mounted. Great ideas for either this or my next build! Would love to see some pictures of where you store everything if possible?

Would you mind giving us the vendor's name? I'm curious what a composite service body looks like. I always thought that there must be someone that makes them out of aluminum due to those exact weight concerns but never found one local to me. I'm sure a quick googling will come up with something though....

The vendor we use is BrandFX. They’re located here in Fort Worth, TX but have quite a few locations nationwide. If you’d like, I could PM you my contact with them tomorrow when I get to work.

Sent on a device from the future. Be scared, humans.

Reading makes a very fine service body as well. We have a few of them in our fleet as well. While they are extremely well built, they are pricy too. Also, keep in mind the aluminum(steel too) have a tendency to dent quite easily. That was one of the key reasons for us switching to composite other than the weight.

They are very durable, will break before they dent (still takes a ton of force to even get that). We also liked the idea that after the service life of our cab and chassis has been met (14-18 years for us), we can take the composite body off, have the vendor do a overhaul (usually a simple clean, maybe a light or hinge replace) and have the body mounted on a new chassis for a fraction of the cost!

fatkins

Reading makes a very fine service body as well. We have a few of them in our fleet as well. While they are extremely well built, they are pricy too. Also, keep in mind the aluminum(steel too) have a tendency to dent quite easily. That was one of the key reasons for us switching to composite other than the weight.

They are very durable, will break before they dent (still takes a ton of force to even get that). We also liked the idea that after the service life of our cab and chassis has been met (14-18 years for us), we can take the composite body off, have the vendor do a overhaul (usually a simple clean, maybe a light or hinge replace) and have the body mounted on a new chassis for a fraction of the cost!

Your business plan looks solid. Wonder if purchase, maybe damage repairs are comparable, composite vs. aluminum. Curious about weight differences, probably most important to overlanders.

Your business plan looks solid. Wonder if purchase, maybe damage repairs are comparable, composite vs. aluminum. Curious about weight differences, probably most important to overlanders.

While I can't 100% comment on the purchase stand point of the composite bodies (seeing as how we get different rates than what other customers might), I will say that I have not seen any drastic cost inflation especially since any increase was quickly negated by being able to downgrade the truck (going from a 3500 series to a 2500 series).

The maintenance is hands down much cheaper on the composite units. They stand the test of time much easier. Since they are not affected by things such as rust (other than maybe on the hinges and handles) they, in my opinion, tend to last MUCH longer. Should parts be needed, the company we use has been using the same moulds for numerous years. Parts (things such as doors which are our most common repair from operators knocking them off) are usually a 3-5 business day shipping deal, and in matter of minutes a new door is installed. As a testimonial, we have a 33k Service Truck with a composite body that has been in use for 14 years. Other than some surface dirt and grime, the body looks brand new. When this unit is retired, I will be spending the small amount to have it refurbished and remounted on the new cab and chassis. There is no need for hammering out of dents and dings, as witha composite body doesn't get those.

Weight: The composite bodies tend to run around 40%-50% lighter than their steel counterparts from the information I have seen. This is one of the biggest reasons we went with them was the purchase price of the cab and chassis by downgrading the vehicle and also the fuel savings.

Hope this info helps.

Edit:
I just remembered that my vendor is coming out tomorrow to give me some ideas on a new project truck we are building. I will be sure to snap a few pictures of the demo service truck they are bringing out and post them up.

acconboy

92 K2500. 350 w/4500 trans. 6 inch lift with General Grabbers in 35-12.5x15's all around. GPS Heads UP Display with compass/speed and repurposed tablet wired in provides data and telemetry on things like tilt and yaw. Rhino-linered the entire truck because worrying about scratches and dents in an expedition vehicle is kinda against the point of one. Cargo rack going on next week. Project I have been working on off and on since 2014.truck.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you who might be interested... My vendor for the composite body service bodies dropped by today. I snapped a a few quick pictures of their 42" tall cabinet version that was mounted on a Chevy 1500 Regular Cab. It's a nice looking box!

Photo Aug 10, 1 48 18 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 10, 1 48 24 PM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94