Lets see some full size pictures...

Betarocker

Adventurer
I ran 4.10s in my 04 with 37s and a manual that was powered by a 6.0L. The ZF6 has an ultra low LOW and 1st is still pretty low. On the top it had no problem pulling through to OD. The 7.3L has way more low end grunt and revs out way sooner than the 6.0L, so I'd say you'd want the 4.10s over 4.30s or you'll be revving out on the freeway.

Now that being said, if you want to take a road trip, my 04 is for sale and it has the 4.10s in it with ARB lockers on both ends and Warn hub locks. With the exchange rate, you could have the entire truck for cheaper than doing the same swap.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I ran 4.10s in my 04 with 37s and a manual that was powered by a 6.0L. The ZF6 has an ultra low LOW and 1st is still pretty low. On the top it had no problem pulling through to OD. The 7.3L has way more low end grunt and revs out way sooner than the 6.0L, so I'd say you'd want the 4.10s over 4.30s or you'll be revving out on the freeway.

Now that being said, if you want to take a road trip, my 04 is for sale and it has the 4.10s in it with ARB lockers on both ends and Warn hub locks. With the exchange rate, you could have the entire truck for cheaper than doing the same swap.

Do you have a For-sale thread somewhere?

Lwrc_rep1

Thanks guys... The rear bumper is a road armor that I am about half ways done with a double swingout for, so it actually does not come with those taillight guards. Front bumper is a tdk, which I believe stands for throttle down kustoms.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
2000 Suburban K1500, family adventure truck

Our trusty old Sub is getting replaced with a newer one and wifey gave me the green light to turn this one into an overland adventure truck. My only catch is that I am only allowed to spend $1,000 on upgrades. After watching Dirt Every Day's YouTube videos I got inspired and have a game plan.

Completely stock 2000 5.3L K1500 suburban with 3.73 gears and already have 275/65R18 (32.1X10.8") tires. Which do not rub on 100% stock truck. Roof rack which carried 600-700lbs of gear has 4 Yakima 58" cross bars, 4 Yakima RailGrabs, 6.5ft by 36" cargo basket and Thule 6 ski cargo box.

sub.jpg
37x13.5" tires on 17" rim will go on soon

Game plan for the Sub:
37x13.5 tires
3" body lift
3" suspension "level"
new shocks all around
second 20gal gas tank
4.10 gears front and rear
rear locking diff
snorkel kit and bigger fender flares if I have any $$$ left over

Work in progress
sub2.jpg

Tough to tell in the pic but the level kit and new shocks are in. Swapped out torsion keys for Ford keys and the truck came up 5" with 1-2" of suspension travel in the front, cranked the keys down to a reasonable 2.5" lift. Nitrogen shocks I had before made the ride unbearable, so I went to Skyjacker H7009 (stock length) oil shocks in the front and H7017 (3" longer than stock) in the rear. Got the cheapest rear coil spacers I could find to raise the back end. I'll add a better before and after picture of the 3" level kit. Now I am waiting on new lug nuts so I can bolt up the 37" tires and figure out how to fit them.

Andrei

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
NorCal,
Be sure to run the numbers on the gears/tire size/weight/power. http://www.grimmjeeper.com
I just went to 4.10's with 35's, but only because I'm running an '01 Cummins II GEN, and 27% overdrive NV-5600 which likes 1700 - 2000 rpm. My bro has a '99 F-250 with 3.73's and a 6 speed manual and he said because of the torque curve of the engine it likes to run higher rpms than the CTD. His choice was 4.30's which are available for your pigs.
I like your work. I live in NoCal.
jefe

Thank you for the information guys! I have been talking to some locals and forum guys on powerstroke.org and i think any higher than 4.10's and my rpms will be screaming on the highway especially through nevada with their posted speeds. i am in idaho alot and usually go through nevada rather than oregon.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Our trusty old Sub is getting replaced with a newer one and wifey gave me the green light to turn this one into an overland adventure truck. My only catch is that I am only allowed to spend $1,000 on upgrades. After watching Dirt Every Day's YouTube videos I got inspired and have a game plan.

Completely stock 2000 5.3L K1500 suburban with 3.73 gears and already have 275/65R18 (32.1X10.8") tires. Which do not rub on 100% stock truck. Roof rack which carried 600-700lbs of gear has 4 Yakima 58" cross bars, 4 Yakima RailGrabs, 6.5ft by 36" cargo basket and Thule 6 ski cargo box.

View attachment 377193
37x13.5" tires on 17" rim will go on soon

Game plan for the Sub:
37x13.5 tires
3" body lift
3" suspension "level"
new shocks all around
second 20gal gas tank
4.10 gears front and rear
rear locking diff
snorkel kit and bigger fender flares if I have any $$$ left over

Work in progress
View attachment 377194

Tough to tell in the pic but the level kit and new shocks are in. Swapped out torsion keys for Ford keys and the truck came up 5" with 1-2" of suspension travel in the front, cranked the keys down to a reasonable 2.5" lift. Nitrogen shocks I had before made the ride unbearable, so I went to Skyjacker H7009 (stock length) oil shocks in the front and H7017 (3" longer than stock) in the rear. Got the cheapest rear coil spacers I could find to raise the back end. I'll add a better before and after picture of the 3" level kit. Now I am waiting on new lug nuts so I can bolt up the 37" tires and figure out how to fit them.

Andrei

You are gonna do all that for $1000?!! This I gotta see! Good luck!!

Here is a current pic of mine. BLM Land in Central CA.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
You are gonna do all that for $1000?!! This I gotta see! Good luck!!

I think he has the 37's already so it could be done?

Gears and a locker alone could be pushing $1000. And new shocks...... And the 20 gal gas tank (with plumbing).... 3" body lift- even if you piece together and not use a kit will be $50 or so with new bolts and steel for bumper relocation.

Should be a fun build to watch.

sethro80

Adventurer
Our Expedition "Aspen" out on the trail

Aspen%20front%20on%20bump-1_zps5fstmczn.jpg

akmedic77

@sethro80 very nice! Do you have a build thread? Mine has mostly appearance mods and I haven't moved on to others yet. Yours appears to have a few! Thanks for sharing!

2c73eea0b696d7f1a18159acf2a8be52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier