Lets see some full size pictures...

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
jefe's '01.5 RAM 2-series hard side Truck Camper, the XTC: drivetrain build

I finally finished my drivetrain build. There was a lot of testing and even some dead ends. The basics, almost none of which you can see:
'01.5 RAM 2500, 4WD, Cummins H.O., NV5600, 4.10 gears, 35" Cooper Disco AT3's, LT315/75R16 on steel wheels: front-7.5" wide, bead to bead; 6.25" backspacing; rear-10" wide bead to bead Stockton 'Power Wagon' steel wheels with 1/2" plate center hubs and 4.5" B.S.; Spyn Tec Dodge Dana 60 hub conversion kit, inner spindle bearing kit, new Dana 70 spindles, 35 spline outer stub shafts, Mile Marker Dana 70 Lockout hubs, factory ABS sensors and studs, Mosier 35 spline front Dana 70 long and short axle shaft conversion, Gen IV tie rod, drag link, TRE's, and stabilizer, new ball joints, a front 35 spline Eaton/Detreoit True trac torque biasing, gear driven limited slip, CAD and front unit bearing delete, Top Gun Customz longer control arms, the 6" inch lift version but installed on a 3" lift. Result is the axle is located 1-1/2" forward from stock. Rear axle: Dana 80 (11,000 pound capy), 35 spline, Eaton/DetroitTrue Trac, new driveshaft, 8-leaf rear springs, Stable Loads, Rancho 9K's. 3" loaded lift all around. In other words, the truck is about level with the camper on and loaded up. This is a pic taken on our shake down cruise to the Mammoth Caldera:

Our goal was to build a truck and hard side camper that would travel in any weather, during any season, over any road surface, or lack thereof, and fully support a pair of seasoned travelers for months at a time either boon docking or stealth camping in the city.

D45

Explorer
Pushing the axle forward that far, how close is the axle to the track bar?

How did you compensate for the front sway bar?

yota_mota

Looking great! I've got a soft spot for the GMT400 trucks. Gonna paint that cap black? That would look killer.

Casey

Actually I'm gonna paint the whole truck (and cap) jade metallic green. It looks very dark almost black in low light but has beautiful dark green sparkle in full light. I also plan on doing a full camper build in the bed with drawer slide-outs with hot/cold water system and a cargo rack above the cap and cab. I'll post that on a separate thread later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

armymgdude

Observer
5883c8552e2a018c8a32e0769fa1df12.jpg

This truck passed me in Death Valley going at least 40mph on Racetrack road. I passed his 2 bumper ends and his headlight, then finally his truck about 2 miles from pavement. I was doing 10mph with 20lbs of air in my tires. Needless to say, slow down. And be careful of used white HD chebbies in California car lots. This one may have some issues...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
D45,
The clearance is tight but not rubbing. Remember only one end of the track bar has to move with the axle. I was lucky that the GEN IV steering parts did not get in the way. You can tell how far the axle is moved forward by the slant of the coil springs; the bottoms lean forward. My only concern is the caster angle. It's a bit too much and causes uneven tire wear. When you turn the wheel the tires go into what I call the 'road grader effect' as the wheels lean. If I can get it up, I'll put longer 4 links on with the adjustable caster bolts. It is interesting to drive this truck now. With 65 pound tires and 35 pound rear steel wheels it has affected the pickup and stopping ability. I call it the unsprung flywheel lag syndrome. The mileage doesn't seem to be affected if I drive leisurely and ooze in and out of the pedal, but put the pedal down and it drops, big time, trying to spin up those flywheels.
jefe

Last edited:

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Strega, au contrare, I've been admiring your sh...stuff since you got the CC. I've even written about your excellent choices on another forum.
I'll sign off now as were are getting pounded with our first real snow of the season and HughesNet won't last.
jefe aka, jeff reynolds.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Actually I'm gonna paint the whole truck (and cap) jade metallic green. It looks very dark almost black in low light but has beautiful dark green sparkle in full light. I also plan on doing a full camper build in the bed with drawer slide-outs with hot/cold water system and a cargo rack above the cap and cab. I'll post that on a separate thread later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jade green metallic is a good color choice, especially with the champagne lower body color, not that I'm biased toward that color combo...

sent from a slablet

SES50

Observer
From a couple trips over the years.

Here is some pictures from over the years of the work in progress.

Truck Specs:
2000 F350 PSD with Manual 6 speed
4" Donahoe front leafs
Firestone rear airbags
Bilstein 7100s all the way around
Mohave Rims
285x75R16 BFG AT Tires
2x 2.5 gallon Viair Tanks
Reunel front and rear bumpers
2x Hella 4000 spot lights
2x Hella 4000 flood lights
2x PIAA driving lights
Milemarker 10.5k Hydraulic Winch
Custom Designed and Built Tailgate to hold 4x 5 gallon Fuel/Water Cans and second spare tire (Full Size)
Dual Odyssey Backup Battery Bank with Sterling IP68 Battery Charger
LED Light Kit in Bed
Roll n lock Bed Cover
Autohome Maggiolina RTT

6382_1100344799866_243150_n.jpg

truck1.JPG

13590335_10206452819230309_211639203139589906_n.jpg

monument valley.JPG

Picture of the battery install before the original spare tire is raised into place.
batteries.JPG

michaelse

This truck passed me in Death Valley going at least 40mph on Racetrack road. I passed his 2 bumper ends and his headlight, then finally his truck about 2 miles from pavement. I was doing 10mph with 20lbs of air in my tires. Needless to say, slow down. And be careful of used white HD chebbies in California car lots. This one may have some issues...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What happened to him... Lower ball joint broke?

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Here is some pictures from over the years of the work in progress.

Truck Specs:
2000 F350 PSD with Manual 6 speed
4" Donahoe front leafs
Firestone rear airbags
Bilstein 7100s all the way around
Mohave Rims
285x75R16 BFG AT Tires
2x 2.5 gallon Viair Tanks
Reunel front and rear bumpers
2x Hella 4000 spot lights
2x Hella 4000 flood lights
2x PIAA driving lights
Milemarker 10.5k Hydraulic Winch
Custom Designed and Built Tailgate to hold 4x 5 gallon Fuel/Water Cans and second spare tire (Full Size)
Dual Odyssey Backup Battery Bank with Sterling IP68 Battery Charger
LED Light Kit in Bed
Roll n lock Bed Cover
Autohome Maggiolina RTT

View attachment 376724

View attachment 376725

View attachment 376726

View attachment 376727

Picture of the battery install before the original spare tire is raised into place.
View attachment 376729
Awesome rig you have there!
Do you have more pics of your rear bumper design

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Switched from 35's to 37's and did a 8" King coilover conversion. Will be re gearing to 4.10's in the spring and an ARB in the rear. Might do hydro steering as well. The dual steering stabilizers are nice but I have almost ripped them off about a dozen times!

20161123_205553_zpspg5wgbyn.jpg

Last edited:

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
NorCal,
Be sure to run the numbers on the gears/tire size/weight/power. http://www.grimmjeeper.com
I just went to 4.10's with 35's, but only because I'm running an '01 Cummins II GEN, and 27% overdrive NV-5600 which likes 1700 - 2000 rpm. My bro has a '99 F-250 with 3.73's and a 6 speed manual and he said because of the torque curve of the engine it likes to run higher rpms than the CTD. His choice was 4.30's which are available for your pigs.
I like your work. I live in NoCal.
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz