Lets see some full size pictures...

Joanne

Adventurer
What size tires are those BFG AT?

They are 33x10.50 R15 tires on stock wheels. I kinda like the taller/narrower look and they work really well for the on and off-road driving I do. One shop tried really hard to sell me on something different then got sarcastic when I told them that I've had good luck with them on 4 other vehicles I've had through the years. He was also trying to sell me on an 8 to 10 inch lift. Needless to say I didn't buy from them. We all know that girls can't possibly know what they want...

Joanne

Joanne

Adventurer
303eatv.jpg

How did you get it to float???!! :coffeedrink:

I installed the anti-gravity waveatron but the front end kept washing out in the turns. I decided to put the original front end back in until I work out the bugs...

Joanne

Rockhounder

Explorer
Hi All! New to the group, and building something fun!

Hi All, Just finally joined the group after months of lurking, We have always been rabid off road expeditionary style trekkers in our rockhounder group expeditions going to the middle of nowhere to find gems and minerals. Absolutely love the desert wilderness, and camping with no roads visible for miles in any direction... aah the beauty of the big sky, gorgeous sunsets, stars, mountain views.....

Well, anyway, wanted to share a few pictures of our latest, that is almost finished. It started out life as an 88 Suburban 4x4, a quarter million miles on it, that the previous owner had mistakenly put a higher ratio rear axle onto, thereby making it undrivable in 4wd...... also the interior was thoroughly disintegrated... literally every bit of plastic and cloth/foam hung in tatters, seat frames sticking through, nothing working..... We gutted it, sanded paint down to bare metal, fixed a few tiny rust spots on A pillar and rear door areas, knocked out a few dings, rebuilt the engine (regular 5.7 with dual tbi injectors) rebuilt tranny (700r4) to high torque towing parts, added large trans oil coolers in front, replaced axles with 3.75, new tires, ac, custom made frame hitch, front montana-rat-catcher (all you from bigfork lake area know what I'm talking about), custom made vintage military looking mud guards, etc.

The look we designed (this is to be a movie vehicle in an apocalyptic Men in Black set in the late 70's production) is retro/vintage-aggessive. We still have more interior work to finish, as well as the addition of rear door tire and gas can holders. The paintjob is actually three colors, of a special Hotrod semi-matte paint; black on top, fading to a dark steel on the sides, to a lighter silvery steel on the lower body. The effect is real subtle, but looks really beautiful. you can see the color difference in the wheels, where the rim is the black color, and the beauty rim is the side dark steel color.

We will take more pics as work progresses!

I personally love this body style of suburban the best of all older (and new) full sized trucks, I'm just glad we were able to rescue this one from the scrap heap.

I love seeing all you guys vehicles on this thread, a lot of great, beautiful vehicles!

All the best,
Paul
IMG_5211.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg
IMG_5214.jpg
IMG_5216.jpg
IMG_5213.jpg

Rockhounder

Explorer
"Love that bumper"

thanks, the vertical pieces are 3/8 steel plate, with 2 inch steel pipe, and the lower pipe is boxed in with steel sheet. I designed it to literally slide over the existing stock bumper, it mounts in 8 places (4 upper, 4 lower) to the frame behind the original bumper. There is also steel hexagonal screen between the center verticals as a debris guard to protect the radiators. Came up with this idea after my wife hit a deer in montana with our other suburban (2004). I built it by taking cardboard, and duct tape, and cutting/fitting it all together over the existing bumper, with paper towel tube centers to represent where the steel tube would be. Then I pulled everything apart, laid it out on the steel stock, plasma cut everything out, and proceeded to weld it all together. some of the compound angles were tricky to get right the first time, but all in all it was a fun project.

20131113_101404.jpg20131113_101419.jpg20131121_172910.jpg20131125_095003.jpg20131125_095009.jpg20131125_095009.jpg

Last edited:

mastersryan

Adventurer
Where exactly is this? I'm pretty close to Table Rock, and in fact will be there next weekend.

Thanks,

Casey

I was just staying up there for the week I had an event in town (Branson) and our staff stayed up in Indian Valley I believe it was called up by Silver Dollar City looking over Table Rock Lake. Beautiful place!

arveetek

Adventurer
I was just staying up there for the week I had an event in town (Branson) and our staff stayed up in Indian Valley I believe it was called up by Silver Dollar City looking over Table Rock Lake. Beautiful place!

Probably Indian Point. I will actually be camping there this weekend. It's just south of Silver Dollar City.

Thanks,

Casey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles