Lets Discuss 2nd Gen Armada/QX Lift Options

OneTime

Adventurer
Ouch 1650.00!!! I am one of those like the kits guys. But that seems really high to jump up 500 bucks. I know shipping is crazy right now

How much are you looking at spending buying the parts separately? And what sources are you using?

Last edited:

SRN

Adventurer
Ouch 1650.00!!! I am one of those like the kits guys. But that seems really high to jump up 500 bucks. I know shipping is crazy right now

How much are you looking at spending buying the parts separately? And what sources are you using?
I purchased an entire Old Man Emu setup (2978's, 2986's, 90015's, and 60084's) for just over $1100 from Cruiser Outfitters.

SRN

Adventurer
Have you installed it yet? If so how much lift did it give you? Stock UCA?
I get everything today, but because of my schedule I won't be able to install it until 4/2. It should get me ~3" of lift. I'm sticking with the stock UCA's for now. This is just going to be my backcountry vehicle, so I'm not really that concerned with flex. But if it becomes an issue I'll look into swapping the UCA's down the road.

SRN

Adventurer
Any update on the install?
Yup. OME parts and 35" tires are sitting in my garage, but work and family keep getting in the way! :D I've got a trip planned for this weekend that I was hopping to have it installed for, but it just didn't happen. I've got shop space and friends lined up to help next Friday; so barring any unforeseen fires thats when it will happen!

SRN

Adventurer
I got the OME lift and 35" General Grabber ATx's installed yesterday:

51121537492_e4ac8eca26_h.jpg

I have installed dozens of lifts on vehicles over the years and this was the biggest PITA I've ever encountered! It wasn't necessarily that it was complicated, but that that it fought us the whole way. You have to compress the ******** out of the rear springs to get them into the buckets, then you have to basically dismantle the entire front end to get the struts into place. Just a lot of wrenching.

But there is an issue, the rear end is WAY out of alignment. Primarily the toe. We fought and fought with it on the alignment rack and couldn't get it anywhere near spec. As such, it wanders really badly on the road. I'm on the hunt for aftermarket camber bolts that might give us some more room for adjustment or/as well as offset toe bushings. So, if anyone knows of any or has some tricks, I'd love to hear about them. So far, no luck on the camber bolts, but looks like there are some offset bushings out there:
SuperPro Toe Control Arm Inner Bush Kit - Double Offset.

Also, the front UCA is basically a paper's width away from the strut tower bracket just sitting. Should have listened to @leeleatherwood and just gotten the SPC UCA's right out of the gate. I figured I could get away with it for a bit, but nope. They're on order and will be here next week!

Other than that, it rides better than expected. I was really worried it would be a tank, but its still pretty smooth. I got the medium spring rate front coils in anticipation of a bumper and winch (hopefully this summer!) so that'll weigh the front down a bit, which it probably needs. And most importantly, it looks much beefier!

OneTime

Adventurer
Thats unfortunate. I was really hoping it would be plug and play. Do you think the results would be any different with the IronMan kit?

SRN

Adventurer
Thats unfortunate. I was really hoping it would be plug and play. Do you think the results would be any different with the IronMan kit?
People have installed the Ironman kit more, and it seems to be working for them. But as my above spreadsheet indicates, the Ironman springs are actually LONGER than the OME ones. So they have to have experienced the same alignment issues that I have. The question is, how did they resolve it? If they just took it to a shop, I'm assuming that the shop did "what was necessary" to make for a happy customer and they may not know? Perusing the Patrol forums it seems that there are alignment issues that pop up on them as well. That SuperPro bushing kit has been mentioned. Still researching. I'm not going to be able to get it back on an alignment rack until this Friday.

SRN

Adventurer
Update:

I was able to get the rear toe in spec by using a set of aftermarket SPC 87520 camber adjustment bolts. These are designed for the front camber adjustment, so I had to cut about half an inch more thread into them and then shorten them so they'd clearance everything. But they worked like a champ! Still had to sacrifice some rear camber to get the rear toe full in spec, but I'll take some negative camber over wonky toe any day!

Also replaced all the front camber adjustment bolts with the same 87520's (there are four on the front). To allow for maximum droop of the front suspension I replaced the front upper control arms with a set of SPC 25560's and notched the upper strut tower to clear the UCA. The new UCA also gave me way more caster and camber adjustment.

After all that, it rides and drives MUCH better! The only "unexpected" thing now is that the front sway bar touches the inside of the rim at full lock. So longer end links are on their way to fix that issue. I may also swap out the rear camber adjustment bolts with a set of those 87520's to see if I can get the rear fully in spec there.

Hiace

Update:

I was able to get the rear toe in spec by using a set of aftermarket SPC 87520 camber adjustment bolts. These are designed for the front camber adjustment, so I had to cut about half an inch more thread into them and then shorten them so they'd clearance everything. But they worked like a champ! Still had to sacrifice some rear camber to get the rear toe full in spec, but I'll take some negative camber over wonky toe any day!

Also replaced all the front camber adjustment bolts with the same 87520's (there are four on the front). To allow for maximum droop of the front suspension I replaced the front upper control arms with a set of SPC 25560's and notched the upper strut tower to clear the UCA. The new UCA also gave me way more caster and camber adjustment.

After all that, it rides and drives MUCH better! The only "unexpected" thing now is that the front sway bar touches the inside of the rim at full lock. So longer end links are on their way to fix that issue. I may also swap out the rear camber adjustment bolts with a set of those 87520's to see if I can get the rear fully in spec there.

So would the Moog (or another) rear, and possibly the lighter duty ome fronts have avoided this issue? Considering this, but really looking for more like 1.5-2" of lift, and something closer to 34s

SRN

Adventurer
So would the Moog (or another) rear, and possibly the lighter duty ome fronts have avoided this issue? Considering this, but really looking for more like 1.5-2" of lift, and something closer to 34s
Not 100% sure. The Moog's are 3" shorter than the OME 2986's, but have about the same spring rate. And the front OME 2977's are the same length as the 2978's, but have 30lbs less of a spring rate. So think that you'd only sit maybe 1/2" to 3/4" lower on the front with the 2977's, but you'd be at least 2"-3" shorter in the rear with the Moogs.

But I say give it a try! The more people figuring all this out, the better!

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
But I say give it a try! The more people figuring all this out, the better!
Well, I picked up a '11 QX56 this weekend, and the HBMC system is either toast, or totally messed up by whoever serviced it last...add me to the list of those about to 'learn'!
Ordered a set of 81085's today, and some Rancho RS9000 Quicklift strut assemblies for the front. We'll see what I can track down for the rear for now...gonna be a long 8 month wait for some Kings LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles