Lets Discuss 2nd Gen Armada/QX Lift Options

SRN

Adventurer
I purchased a 2017 Armada last week with the express intent of building it into a replacement of my 1994 Isuzu Trooper as my backcountry camping vehicle (I think the cool kids call that "overlanding" these days). I knew when I purchased the Armada that options were thin because its not quite a Patrol. Coming from a Trooper, this doesn't bother me much as I'm used to having to cobble together or fabricate stuff. And, I wanted to be different, so that's the price you pay!
As I've scoured the forums, the best post that I've found is leatherwoods 2nd Gen INFINITI QX56/QX80 Build. Ton's of great information in that thread. But rather than clutter than one up, I figured I'd start a new thread that focuses on what I'm looking for in a lift and hopefully get some questions answered (and hopefully be informative to others).
Once I actually get going on my build, I'll create a dedicated thread for that; but in regards to a lift I want it to be pretty mild (2"-3") but stout enough to handle an aftermarket front bumper/winch and an aftermarket rear bumper w/tire and Scepter can holders along with drawers in the back, camping gear, etc. etc. For this reason I have some serious questions about just using spacers like you can get from PRG or the spacer/rear sub-frame drop kit from Calmini because these still utilize the stock springs and shocks. Ironman4x4 offers a 1.5" lift kit targeting the Armada, which is a little low, but might be OK.
Leatherwood installed Radflow and King's coilovers and Dobinson springs and shocks along with Firestone Airbags to help compensate in the rear. This looks like a good setup; but there was some cutting and drilling involved to make this work. On my $700 Trooper; I had no issues cutting things up. On a three year old Armada... I'd like to stick with bolt on if possible for now. This of course led me to Old Man Emu, my trusted go to for all suspension needs for past vehicles. They have nothing listed on their US site, but they obviously have Y62 Patrol options. When I contacted their tech support here in the US, they said that they had not tested any of the Patrol suspension components on Armadas. They directed me to contact Nisstec in Denver to see if they had; but the answer was again no. Bummer.
So then we come to the question of swapping in Patrol components to get Patrol parts to work. Ofpower listed his setup as follows:
  • Front 2" lifted OnTrack Y62 Patrol lower control arm (to maintain front HBMC shock)
  • Front RoughCountry Titan upper control arm (Y62 patrol arms will NOT fit)
  • Rear ToughDog Y62 patrol 2" lifted coil spring
  • Rear Y62 Patrol OEM HBMC shock absorber (deletes factory air suspension in exchange for greater travel)
Now, I'd love to know more about this. Having an Armada, I do not have HMBC. But, will the rest of this work?

So that's where I'm at right now. What's everyone else's insight?

Last edited:

ChrisCosta416

Check King Springs based in Australia. In addition hit up the UAE folks who have fitted many different coils and shocks to these trucks

SRN

Adventurer
Check King Springs based in Australia. In addition hit up the UAE folks who have fitted many different coils and shocks to these trucks
Ok, but my understanding is that the Y62 Patrol in Australia and the UAE have different front lower control arms that the Y62 Armada/QX platform found in North America. Do you know if this is/is not the case?

SRN

Adventurer
I spoke with Dobinson's US operation this morning. After consulting with OZ, they claim that their Patrol kit's available in Australia will work with the Armada. BUT, they've never done it so they cannot vouch for it. So this is the same as the OME stuff. I've never used Dobinson's, but I hear they have a good rep. May have to just roll the dice and play see if any of this stuff works.

leeleatherwood

This is my suggestion, because the King y62 front coilovers when fitted to an Armada we know will require a hole to be drilled to mount the reservoir bracket, you can possibly avoid this by using the coilover from 1st gen Armada/Titan. Its quite possible that the hole is already there on the y62 frame to avoid drilling that 10mm bolt hole. (Even if you have to drill a hole to mount the reservoir bracket, its only a small 10mm bolt size hole, its probably only 1/8" actual size of the hole)

The US Spec y62 front suspension is the same as 1st Gen Armada Nissan Titan, so these coilovers will work.

Also, I do not have the Dobinson springs installed, they took 8 months to get here from AUS, because of this I would avoid. Instead what I did was install Moog heavy duty springs for 1st Gen Armada, they are FANTASTIC!!!! The ride is so much better, no spacer and no pressure in the airbags except when towing.

Also, if you get tubular Upper Control Arms, you will not need to modify the coil bucket for clearance like the SPC UCA's. I am listing Dirt King control arms because they utilize a balljoint. I do not like Uniballs on the street, they get noisy and squeaky, even high quality teflon lined ones. Sealed balljoint is better for street use.

Total List:
KING TITAN 04-15 FRONT 2.5 DIA. REMOTE RESERVOIR COIL-OVER 25001-139
KING PATROL Y62 10+ REAR 2.5 DIA. PIGGY HOSE RESERVOIR SHOCK 25001-324
Moog 81085 Coil Spring Set 81085
Dirt King Ball Joint Upper Control Arms DK-701901

This should get you around 2" of lift. Good for 35" tires.

I hope this helps, its a pretty simple list. You might need to hammer down your pinch weld depending on the offset of your wheels and the width of your tire.

SRN

Adventurer
This is my suggestion, because the King y62 front coilovers when fitted to an Armada we know will require a hole to be drilled to mount the reservoir bracket, you can possibly avoid this by using the coilover from 1st gen Armada/Titan. Its quite possible that the hole is already there on the y62 frame to avoid drilling that 10mm bolt hole. (Even if you have to drill a hole to mount the reservoir bracket, its only a small 10mm bolt size hole, its probably only 1/8" actual size of the hole)

The US Spec y62 front suspension is the same as 1st Gen Armada Nissan Titan, so these coilovers will work.

Also, I do not have the Dobinson springs installed, they took 8 months to get here from AUS, because of this I would avoid. Instead what I did was install Moog heavy duty springs for 1st Gen Armada, they are FANTASTIC!!!! The ride is so much better, no spacer and no pressure in the airbags except when towing.

Also, if you get tubular Upper Control Arms, you will not need to modify the coil bucket for clearance like the SPC UCA's. I am listing Dirt King control arms because they utilize a balljoint. I do not like Uniballs on the street, they get noisy and squeaky, even high quality teflon lined ones. Sealed balljoint is better for street use.

Total List:

I hope this helps, its a pretty simple list. You might need to hammer down your pinch weld depending on the offset of your wheels and the width of your tire.

Great info! What airbags are you running on the back again? And do you have, or are you planning on having a rear bumper w/tire carrier? Drawers? Just wondering if the Moog spring will handle the added weight.

leeleatherwood

Great info! What airbags are you running on the back again? And do you have, or are you planning on having a rear bumper w/tire carrier? Drawers? Just wondering if the Moog spring will handle the added weight.

I have Air Ride now, see my latest thread update.

If you were adding a tire carrier and/or drawer system, you might want to look into the Ironman4x4 rear springs or the Dobinsons. Regardless the Moog Springs are only $135, thats super cheap and you can always easily swap them out later for something with more load capacity. Or install airbags and just put like 10-15 PSI in them.

Reactions: SRN

ArmandaY62

Total List:

You think this setup is worth the increase in cost over an Ironman y62 setup? I would use moog springs in the rear regardless of setup.

leeleatherwood

You think this setup is worth the increase in cost over an Ironman y62 setup? I would use moog springs in the rear regardless of setup.

I think the Ironman setup should be great. It really just depends on budget and needs. Its hard to say in this situation if something is worth it or not.

Some people want to buy a "kit" and take it somewhere to be installed and be done with it. These people looking for a "kit", I think Ironman looks to be the best solution. That's why I recommended you take a look at Ironman because you specifically mentioned a "kit". Also from the images Mar Ko posted on facebook, it looks very high quality.

Other people want to buy things piecemeal and install things themselves. For these type of people, Ironman would still be a good choice probably but of course there are other options. Infact I spoke with one person the other day who wont be really going offroad at all so I just recommended cheap spacer lift in the front.

In the end, its up to you guys to do your own research. I know its hard because these vehicles are new and not common so there is alot of missing information. I can only provide advice that I know from dealing with this Platform on both Nissan Frontier and now US y62.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, if you pay close attention to my build thread. I went offroading quite a bit, even at moab with no lift in the front ;) Just stock factory springs and body lift to clear the 37's.

Last edited:

ArmandaY62

I think the Ironman setup should be great. It really just depends on budget and needs. Its hard to say in this situation if something is worth it or not.

Some people want to buy a "kit" and take it somewhere to be installed and be done with it. These people looking for a "kit", I think Ironman looks to be the best solution. That's why I recommended you take a look at Ironman because you specifically mentioned a "kit". Also from the images Mar Ko posted on facebook, it looks very high quality.

Other people want to buy things piecemeal and install things themselves. For these type of people, Ironman would still be a good choice probably but of course there are other options. Infact I spoke with one person the other day who wont be really going offroad at all so I just recommended cheap spacer lift in the front.

In the end, its up to you guys to do your own research. I know its hard because these vehicles are new and not common so there is alot of missing information. I can only provide advice that I know from dealing with this Platform on both Nissan Frontier and now US y62.

Hope this helps.

thanks. The difficulty is that there are so few ppl who have installed aftermarket shocks on their US Y62’s. Really, the only ones I know are you (King), Mar (Ironman) and primov8(Bilstein 6100 in the front).
I do like the fact that the Kings come preassembled as coil overs. Makes it easier rather than find a shop to compress. Although, if I want to adjust the height I may have to take them apart anyway.

leeleatherwood

thanks. The difficulty is that there are so few ppl who have installed aftermarket shocks on their US Y62’s. Really, the only ones I know are you (King), Mar (Ironman) and primov8(Bilstein 6100 in the front).
I do like the fact that the Kings come preassembled as coil overs. Makes it easier rather than find a shop to compress. Although, if I want to adjust the height I may have to take them apart anyway.

The Ironmans adjust just like Kings and Radflos, the body is threaded and the adjusters can be rotated to increase or decrease preload, which has a side effect of lifting or lowering. Its best to stay within a margin of the factory setting because a minimum preload is required and too much preload can cause harsh ride. But I think 2-2.5" should be easily doable on the Ironmans.

SRN

Adventurer
I got a copy of Nissan FAST (their digital parts catalog) a few days ago and have found that there is a model variation. In their system early build date 2nd Gen Armada's (06/16 - 10/17) are listed as Y62. From 10/17+ they are listed as Y62J. Part numbers for things like UCA's are slightly different as well between the two. Mine has a build date of 11/16.
So, I figured I'd call around again. Managed to get ahold of Ironman4x4 and had a good long chat with John, and he found that 06/16 - 10/17 Armada's supposedly will work with their kit, which contradicts what I had previously heard, but before they hadn't asked me about my build date. That's intriguing because its a complete kit at a pretty reasonable price.

leeleatherwood

I got a copy of Nissan FAST (their digital parts catalog) a few days ago and have found that there is a model variation. In their system early build date 2nd Gen Armada's (06/16 - 10/17) are listed as Y62. From 10/17+ they are listed as Y62J. Part numbers for things like UCA's are slightly different as well between the two. Mine has a build date of 11/16.
So, I figured I'd call around again. Managed to get ahold of Ironman4x4 and had a good long chat with John, and he found that 06/16 - 10/17 Armada's supposedly will work with their kit, which contradicts what I had previously heard, but before they hadn't asked me about my build date. That's intriguing because its a complete kit at a pretty reasonable price.

Yeah the Ironman kit I think is at a fantastic pricepoint.

I am curious about the Y62J. I have seen the suspension of brand new 2020 models and from my eyes they look identical to me. I even took pics to send to David Dash.

SRN

Adventurer
Yeah the Ironman kit I think is at a fantastic pricepoint.

I am curious about the Y62J. I have seen the suspension of brand new 2020 models and from my eyes they look identical to me. I even took pics to send to David Dash.
Agreed, they look the same, but there has got to be something different. I'm combing through FAST and AllData to see what it is, but so far all I can see is part number differences. Nothing is a smoking gun as yet.

leeleatherwood

Agreed, they look the same, but there has got to be something different. I'm combing through FAST and AllData to see what it is, but so far all I can see is part number differences. Nothing is a smoking gun as yet.

Whats the front diff look like? Did they upgrade it? That would be awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier