LET ME SEE YOUR IMPORTED DOUBLE CAB MB OR IVECO VEHICLE CONVERSION

4x4for9

I am dreaming of importing a Mercedes Benz 1222 double cab to convert to an expedition vehicle for my family of 9. Specifically I am looking at putting two forward facing benches behind the front seats and designing a living compartment that fits us all. Anyone done anything like this? Let me see what you have done. I really like what the SLRV Commander 8x8 can do with its two stories and was thinking about something like that before I ever saw what they designed. I felt a little relieved to know I wasn’t the only one thinking big like that. That vehicle is WAY WAY WAY out of my price range but I can still dream, right?!

Anyway, I would love to see what some of you have done using a double cab as your starting vehicle.

Thanks in advance!!!

4x4for9638131CF-FEA5-46A1-B366-5E4E77A77477.jpegE07B10CA-B04F-4980-A1B5-A8C09069BB77.jpeg

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Just a heads up that Mercedes is well supported for parts (recommended - Terry Lee Enterprises) and service (again Terry Lee), in the USA, while Iveco is not to my knowledge (perhaps someone can post a source). My German friend who is a retired M.A.N. engineer bought a Mercedes over a M.A.N, due to their worldwide support. If you look at used trucks on mobile.de you will see that comparable Ivecos sell for about 1/2 of MB prices. Nothing against Ivecos they are fine, well-built trucks (I have owned both Iveco and MB), but the support, especially for older trucks in the US is not even close to MB.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Nine people? You might fit them in the truck you want. But the cabin is going to be huge! You might want to consider a 40’ diesel pusher RV. Or a school bus conversion. Saw one last year in Baja, outfitted with bunk beds, they were a family of nine. Lived in it full time.

Sitec

Adventurer
Hello! 9 in a cab is a big ask! Anyway, maybe have a chat with this fella. He bought 2 crewcab Mercedes trucks in and was planning to sell one...

4x4for9

Just a heads up that Mercedes is well supported for parts (recommended - Terry Lee Enterprises) and service (again Terry Lee), in the USA, while Iveco is not to my knowledge (perhaps someone can post a source). My German friend who is a retired M.A.N. engineer bought a Mercedes over a M.A.N, due to their worldwide support. If you look at used trucks on mobile.de you will see that comparable Ivecos sell for about 1/2 of MB prices. Nothing against Ivecos they are fine, well-built trucks (I have owned both Iveco and MB), but the support, especially for older trucks in the US is not even close to MB.

Hey Mog I remember hearing that thought regarding the MB being more widely available when it comes to service and parts so thanks for reminding me. I agree with you that both seem to be great trucks but it makes a lot of sense to go with the MB simply for the reason you mention. Thanks again!

Nine people? You might fit them in the truck you want. But the cabin is going to be huge! You might want to consider a 40’ diesel pusher RV. Or a school bus conversion. Saw one last year in Baja, outfitted with bunk beds, they were a family of nine. Lived in it full time.

Grenadiers I have thought of the idea of an old bus or something like that but it just hasn’t sat well with me yet. I really like the idea of the large converted fire truck for whatever reason. But you are correct the cabin could end up being ginormous unless I get creative and figure out efficient ways to do things.

Hello! 9 in a cab is a big ask! Anyway, maybe have a chat with this fella. He bought 2 crewcab Mercedes trucks in and was planning to sell one...

Sitec I remember reading his post about importing both so thanks for linking to it so I can find it more easily. I think 9 in a cab is pretty doable simply for the fact that these cabs could hold nine fully geared up firefighters so with some modifications I think I could make nine comfortable in the cab. At least, here’s hoping I can.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I think 9 in a cab is pretty doable simply for the fact that these cabs could hold nine fully geared up firefighters so with some modifications I think I could make nine comfortable in the cab.
While I certain think it is do-able for 2 adults and 7 'kids' as I've pointed out Over Here, I will point out the '9- firefighters' are in there for 10 to 15 minutes en route to the accident/fire/etc, not for 8-10 hours traveling across the Mojave Desert.

4x4for9

While I certain think it is do-able for 2 adults and 7 'kids' as I've pointed out Over Here, I will point out the '9- firefighters' are in there for 10 to 15 minutes en route to the accident/fire/etc, not for 8-10 hours traveling across the Mojave Desert.

I completely agree that a multi-hour drive is definitely different than one lasting only a few minutes. Maybe I won’t ever be able to make it work...but i like the idea of at least trying. Who knows?! I may never even get the chance to try.

Thanks for your input.

4x4for9

Hiya!

I've seen a seats only Mog bus towing a big trailer with bunks in Japanese style minimalist living accommodation for paying travellers.

Or random pic as a different idea

View attachment 630212from Pirate 4x4
I have considered the truck and trailer option but it has never felt like “yep, that’s the way to go for me”. It will always be an option. That bus however is a different story. My wife’s parents were both school bus drivers and I don’t know how she would feel about traveling around like that. ?

Sitec

Adventurer
I saw one of these Rotel Tours coaches up in the Northern Territory last year. I wanted a look inside but it was all locked up and it's PAX were off bush walking somewhere.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Maybe a surplus Rotel Tours Bus on a smaller scale in 4x4?
View attachment 630242

Funny story about these hotel busses:
Many moons ago, I crossed the Sahara in Northern Africa by Motorbike. Some of those "roads" where the hardest I had ever encountered. Sand dunes and deep rutted sand roads where brutal. Needless to say, I was very proud of myself when I arrived at the campground in Mauretania. One evening while hanging out with some other "extreme" off roaders we watched as a Hotel Bus rolled in... We where all in disbelieve that this vehicle just did the same treck we did. We asked the driver how on earth he managed to do this: Speed and moving mass was his answer LOL. Btw, his bus looked like the one in the picture. No 4x4 or other off-road helpers... Since then I have a huge respect when I see those. rotel 6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz