Let’s see some POWER WAGONS!

Pnwfullsize

It’s amazing the size of the super duty cab and bed, but that comes with a down side, the truck does have some blind spots and has a much larger turning radius. Yes the mpg isn’t great, hand calculated I’m at 13.3 with 400 miles per tank, that’s taking it easy. But i figure, a big block, 4:30 gears, 35 inch tires and the aerodynamics of a brick, that’s not bad.

What is the tank size? I average 14 in my power wagon but only get about 25 gallons into my 31 gallon tank when i fill up after the lights been on for 10 miles or so.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
What is the tank size? I average 14 in my power wagon but only get about 25 gallons into my 31 gallon tank when i fill up after the lights been on for 10 miles or so.

Yea the fuel reserve when it shows empty is silly on these RAM trucks. The Ford's were the same way in 2017 but they rectified that issue in 2018 and now it's roughly a 4 gal reserve at empty.

jupp0r

3120f4c591a1a08f3a10b44ec160c8e7.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
I’m not sure what the ford has... ive been a mopar person forever! I think it’s 34 or 35 gallons, it doesn’t do bad on fuel for what it is, at fill up range says 400 miles and on the highway it will do that. I do drive pretty easy and I think the 10 speed helps allot.

What did you use to mount your spare in the bed behind the cab? I contacted SDHQ to see if their chase rack would work, but I'm finding out that the options are quite limited with the Rambox's.

AEV vertical tire carrier. They say it won’t work for the ramboxes. However with some proper measurements and a couple modifications to the mounting plate fit right in.

dna

AEV vertical tire carrier. They say it won’t work for the ramboxes. However with some proper measurements and a couple modifications to the mounting plate fit right in.

What did you need to change on the mounting plate?

What did you need to change on the mounting plate?

So I think the same carrier is used for both the Jeep and the Ram HD, Colorado has a different carrier based on pictures. The carrier comes with several sets of holes drilled into the bottom of it. In the directions AEV specifies what holes to use in if mounting it in a standard bed on a RAM HD, they also provide some basic starting measurements. Those holes and measurements will not work on Rambox trucks.

To start I did not have to add any holes to the carrier. I used the pre-drilled holes in the carrier that fit best in my opinion. However I elected to drill some additional holes in the plates that the carrier sits on. The plates go in the lower part of the bed ribs. There are two. I did this because it hid the plates a bit better. Now with it all installed you'd never notice them anyway. So if I was to do it again I'd likely just use the holes that came on the plates. I measured and installed mine to fit a 37 KO2 and allowed for an extra inch between the mounted tire and the bed sidewall. In the event you get a different 37 or wanted to go larger then a 37, say 40's I'd still have a inch there of space. Did that if I need to reach a hand in there for something, maybe a tie down, not sure.

The way the bracket works that holds the tire is that as you increase the tire size the holder slides up and to the right so that inch should always be there and you won't have to worry about a larger tire fitting in the future.

AEV's site says that a Rambox version will become available for that carrier. Having had a AEV Jeep JK and knowing their speed to get something to market. That can take years and sometimes never even happen. So I found a post on their forum where a guy said he made it work. So I went for it. https://forum.aev-conversions.com/f...on/265159-vertical-tire-mount-for-2003-hd-ram

I should be installing a new onboard air system this weekend if time allows. I can snap you some shots if you'd like with tire off to get a better idea. One other thing to note the carrier itself uses the same touch paint as their bumpers. So you can keep it looking new over time if you need that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles