Let’s see some POWER WAGONS!

dna

So I think the same carrier is used for both the Jeep and the Ram HD, Canyon has a different carrier based on pictures. The carrier comes with several sets of holes drilled into the bottom of it. In the directions AEV specifies what holes to use in if mounting it in a standard bed on a RAM HD, they also provide some basic starting measurements. Those holes and measurements will not work on Rambox trucks.

To start I did not have to add any holes to the carrier. I used the pre-drilled holes in the carrier that fit best in my opinion. However I elected to drill some additional holes in the plates that the carrier sits on. The plates go in the lower part of the bed ribs. There are two. I did this because it hid the plates a bit better. Now with it all installed you'd never notice them anyway. So if I was to do it again I'd likely just use the holes that came on the plates. I measured and installed mine to fit a 37 KO2 and allowed for an extra inch between the mounted tire and the bed sidewall. In the event you get a different 37 or wanted to go larger then a 37, say 40's I'd still have a inch there of space. Did that if I need to reach a hand in there for something, maybe a tie down, not sure.

The way the bracket works that holds the tire is that as you increase the tire size the holder slides up and to the right so that inch should always be there and you won't have to worry about a larger tire fitting in the future.

AEV's site says that a Rambox version will become available for that carrier. Having had a AEV Jeep JK and knowing their speed to get something to market. That can take years and sometimes never even happen. So I found a post on their forum where a guy said he made it work. So I went for it. https://forum.aev-conversions.com/f...on/265159-vertical-tire-mount-for-2003-hd-ram

I should be installing a new onboard air system this weekend if time allows. I can snap you some shots if you'd like with tire off to get a better idea. One other thing to note the carrier itself uses the same touch paint as their bumpers. So you can keep it looking new over time if you need that.

Thanks a ton for all the info - I'll be using this to get my tire carrier installed. If you wouldn't mind sending those pictures of yours - I'd greatly appreciate it!

STREGA

Explorer
9C47E5C7-5C11-40FC-99E1-DCC64ECB2DCF.jpeg
The PW at the summit of Wolf Creek Pass, Co. which is almost 11k ft. Elevation. It towed my new 27’ Winnebago TT that weighs 6500lbs dry (had about 40gals. water on board) up the pass at the speed limit and had power to spare. The 8speed transmission held the truck with little brake usage on the descent into Pogosa Springs. Very happy with it’s performance. Also wasn’t able to install my WD hitch so had to run without it and it towed the 450+ miles back to the Canyon just fine, should be even better with it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
View attachment 669163
The PW at the summit of Wolf Creek Pass, Co. which is almost 11k ft. Elevation. It towed my new 27’ Winnebago TT that weighs 6500lbs dry (had about 40gals. water on board) up the pass at the speed limit and had power to spare. The 8speed transmission held the truck with little brake usage on the descent into Pogosa Springs. Very happy with it’s performance. Also wasn’t able to install my WD hitch so had to run without it and it towed the 450+ miles back to the Canyon just fine, should be even better with it.
Out of curiosity, what kind of RPM's were you pulling?

STREGA

Explorer
Out of curiosity, what kind of RPM's were you pulling?

Mostly around 4K, love the sound of the Hemi when it’s making power! Transmission temp went up to 180 degrees from it’s normal 167 so well within safe operation limits and engine temp never went above normal. Average MPG from the canyon to Colorado Springs was 17.2, back to the Canyon pulling trailer was 9.3, about what I expected.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Mostly around 4K, love the sound of the Hemi when it’s making power! Transmission temp went up to 180 degrees from it’s normal 167 so well within safe operation limits and engine temp never went above normal. Average MPG from the canyon to Colorado Springs was 17.2, back to the Canyon pulling trailer was 9.3, about what I expected.
That not too bad! That's similar mileage to what I get towing my smaller and lighter trailer.

4,000 RPM would have me freaking out though. It stresses me out when my truck runs at 3-4K for more that 5 minutes, haha

jadmt

ignore button user
That not too bad! That's similar mileage to what I get towing my smaller and lighter trailer.

4,000 RPM would have me freaking out though. It stresses me out when my truck runs at 3-4K for more that 5 minutes, haha
4000 is nothing for these things and I agree with STREGA they sound good up high. I love being able to watch the oil temp, coolant and tranny temp knowing that even in 100 degree temps the vehicle fluid temps are staying normal.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
4000 is nothing for these things and I agree with STREGA they sound good up high. I love being able to watch the oil temp, coolant and tranny temp knowing that even in 100 degree temps the vehicle fluid temps are staying normal.
I'm guessing 4K is probably fine on my 5.0 too. But, it still stresses me out, haha

St8ton

Let's get this back on track...
GYGQpqDl.jpg

2zGYVTGl.jpg

4p9Yml9l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior