Less Expo, more fun? Questions on a bike (ATK 250cc)

Mitch502

Explorer
I've googled around, and plan to continue to do so, but does anyone know anything about ATK dirt bikes? I've found the history of the company, but I've yet to find a parts supplier or any forums related to them. This was given to me for free from a friend I used to work with...said it runs, but need some Carb work. Believe it to be a 1992-93 250cc

RHINO

Expedition Leader
had an ATK 605 that i absolutely loved,, due mostly to the lack of a REAL long range fuel option i decided to sell it as i was thinning the heard down to just one bike.

anywho, like most older bikes parts can be harder to scource, and like anything that was sold in smaller numbers its even harder to go.

but all hope is not lost, there are a few parts sources out there and they are usually well stocked.

decent forum,,, you will get plenty of info here on parts sources ect.
http://www.atkmotorsports.com/atkbb/index.php?sid=c44cda700ada31f429267883c7e26e46

but a great scource is keith
http://www.americandirtbike.com/atkparts.htm

enjoy

Mitch502

Explorer
Got it running, it idles higher and higher unless it's in gear. I'm assuming it's a air leak in the carb or something...going to continue diagnosing it over the next couple days...runs great otherwise though!

haven

Expedition Leader
ATK was a European motocross bike made by Horst Leitner in the 1970s.

Leitner was a famous participant in the International Six Days Trial competitions in the 1960s, winning a gold medal 4 times. Leitner later started AMP Research in Southern California. In the 1980s, he continued to sell ATK motocross machines. During 1989-90 Leitner built a prototype motocross machine for KTM with many nifty new ideas. Here's an article about it

http://amp-research.com/wp-content/files/MXA_AMP_KTM_May2013.pdf

AMP is best known today for making electric side steps for pickup trucks that fold up behind the truck frame rails.

The ATK trademark now belongs to a Utah company that imports motorcycles from South Korea.

Ammo

Here's my 96 ATK 605DS/ES - I've got complete history/documentation on it from day one - boxes of spares, NOS plastic, etc. everything but a spare seat. In addition it was the "test mule" for their SM conversion kit. It came to me with that kit which include the 17" wheel set, handmade triple clamps, huge/complete brembo set up, etc.

10 years ago I rode the hell out if and loved everything about it except trying to kick it when the battery went down. ;-)

with all that being said, it simply is too hard to find parts for me to put it in service and risk ruining it. last summer I thought I'd put the SM wheels on and use it for track days - after looking around for a spare tank and seat I gave up and decided not to rick damage. So... it sits silently in the barn, covered. I know its silly not to enjoy it, but its a unique package, came to me from a friend who got it from the engineer.

anywho, here how she sits as of last summer

10476345_10202212400131210_55403248020042462_o.jpg

with her dirt shoes on

256098_3769205948455_466023487_o.jpg

Mitch502

Explorer
That thing does look WAY too clean to ride! I may clean mine up quite a bit, paint the plastics and fix the cracked rear fairing. Any idea the value of my 250? I was assuming around $1000 once it's running and reliable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94