Leslie Gulch May 2011

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Our plan was to take the bikes and do a nice days ride in the Succor Creek/Leslie Gulch area.
The forecast was for a 70% chance of thunderstorms. That proved to be true as the morning was very overcast and the rain showers starting. It is no fun riding in the cold and rain, so we went with plan "B". Drop the bikes and just take the drive.

This trip was not our idea, we were invited by "G" and "V". They ride ATV and do enjoy the outdoors.

Once we all made changes and unloaded stuff , we gathered at our house and left about 9:00am. The new plan was to take Succor Creek road in the the Junction and to Leslie Gulch from there. Hopefully we would eat lunch at the Leslie Gulch Campground.

IMGP1868.JPG

The roads were not bad. Wet with a light sprinkle. We made pretty good time headed for Succor Creek canyon.

IMGP1869.JPG

We lost them? Oh, wait! L has them on the FRS radio. They are ahead of us?

IMGP1871.JPG

"G" took a short cut down the hill.

IMGP1873.JPG
IMGP1874.JPG

Up ahead we see a geocache on our map so we stop for a quick look.

IMGP1877.JPG
IMGP1878.JPG
IMGP1879.JPG

G-n-V pose for a reluctant photo? This little cave went in may fifty feet or so. Someone had used straw to smoke it out pretty well. It still wreaked of burnt straw. I don't know why for sure. With the low ceiling we only went in about half way. None of were equipped for crawling into a cozy spot snakes might be holed up for the lousy weather.
Skunked on the cache. The pile of rocks marked the spot, but we were not hardcore enough to spend lots of time in the rain searching. Moving on and now into the canyon.

IMGP1880.JPG
IMGP1883.JPG
IMGP1884.JPG

Lots of water flowing. It is now raining pretty good. You can normally step right over this little creek at this point. Not today. The roads are still pretty good with just a few ruts and holes.

IMGP1887.JPG

Things are very green all the way in to Succor Creek Campground. We stopped for a brief potty break and moved on as it was still raining enough to spur us on.

IMGP1890.JPG
IMGP1893.JPG
IMGP1894.JPG
IMGP1896.JPG

Not many pictures of the climb up and out to the junction. There were some very muddy and off camber roads. One section driven sideways as I just could not get the back end to come around to following the front.

IMGP1897.JPG
IMGP1898.JPG

Once out to the junction, the roads improved greatly. The first leg is a pretty good climb. We gain nearly 3000 ft in this journey. 1500 feet of that in this short section. We top out just over 4800 feet.
Once over the top we start to drop into the canyon and the sights just get better and better.

IMGP1903.JPG
IMGP1904.JPG

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Still raining this road is showing lots of little drainages running muddy and strong. On the way down we are flagged by an approaching vehicle and told that a 40' motorhome is high centered in one of the crossings ahead of us. Run off has cut the crossings deep and this motorhome hangs pretty low. There is room to get around it so we proceed onward.

IMGP1905.JPG
IMGP1906.JPG
IMGP1907.JPG
IMGP1911.JPG

Now into the canyon majestic sights abound.

IMGP1912.JPG
IMGP1913.JPG

Geology like no where else. A black frosting of rock over a light rock formation.

IMGP1914.JPG
IMGP1915.JPG

Once down to the Leslie Gulch campsite, we took advantage of one of the covered camps and ate our lunch. We did spend a little time visiting and checking things out, but with temps in the upper thirties getting back into the trucks gets pretty darned attractive. We made a run on down to check out the lake.

IMGP1916.JPG
IMGP1917.JPG
IMGP1918.JPG

Not much boat ramp left here. By that I mean another three feet in elevation and there is no more need for a ramp. The water will be at its top. Looking around it appears to be nearly as high as it has ever been. There were still several campers at the campground and lots of rigs in the parking area. A few boats waiting alongside the ramp. Time for us to head on out.

IMGP1919.JPG

This Ford in the parking area had a really cool topper.

IMGP1920.JPG
IMGP1921.JPG

The lid lifted on gas shocks like a hard tonneau. The sides were canvas, so I assume it lifted to form a very liveable camping enclosure on the back. Pretty sweet set-up.

The road out was very good. We even thought we might get a break in the rain and have the sun peek out for a time.

IMGP1922.JPG
IMGP1928.JPG
IMGP1930.JPG

That last one looked like something straight out of Hollywood. Maybe a scene from Lord of the Rings?

IMGP1931.JPG

Every little wash still running murky water.

IMGP1932.JPG
IMGP1933.JPG

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
This place really does have world class sights. Seeing it "in the wet" is another world. So green and rugged all in the same frame. Sheer walls cut straight and soft rolls painted with rock. Such variety.

IMGP1936.JPG
IMGP1937.JPG
IMGP1938.JPG
IMGP1940.JPG
IMGP1941.JPG

This stuff is pretty cool:
IMGP1944.JPG
IMGP1947.JPG

The road out had the lighting to our backs and we really had a chance to "ooh, and ahh" at all the formations.

IMGP1949.JPG
IMGP1950.JPG
IMGP1951.JPG

This spot warranted a stop to try a panoramic shot. More because the rain had slowed and I thought the sun might break through.

IMGP1954.JPG

This section of road had lots of the native bird. I guess the Chuckars are somewhat shy about pictures being taken.

IMGP1958.JPG

Back down the road...we thought we might touch the clouds on the way back up and out.

IMGP1959.JPG
IMGP1964.JPG
IMGP1968.JPG

Back up on top of the world at 4800 feet again. These next two panoramic shots give you a 270 degree view.

IMGP1970.JPG
IMGP1971.JPG

Poser shot at the top.

IMGP1974.JPG

We did not ride the bikes, the bikes we did not ride. We did not touch the sky it did not reach. The roads were wet and muddy, but it was a wonderful Sunday.

The road stretches out straight ahead. An hour to home from here...

IMGP1975.JPG

Over...

IMGP1976.JPG

...and out.

(You can find the full album of higher res photos here: BLT Offroad - Leslie Gulch )

paulj

Expedition Leader
After visiting you in May 2007 we drove into this area. We set up camp at the campground closest to the boat launch, and prepared supper during a thunderstorm. Fortunately the campground has sun shelters. After the storm passed I was able to take this photo of one of the nearby rock formations.

More photos from that trip at http://www.pbase.com/paulj3/owyhee

Attachments

• IMGP0215.JPG
    IMGP0215.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

cnskate

Adventurer
Yep, you have some cool places in your backyard. We didn't care for the crowded campground when we were there, so we camped on Jupiter Ridge, I think it was called, a short little hill climb up to the right at the top of canyon by the barb wire fence. With a 360' view, it was one of our favorite campsites on the trip.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Beautiful contrast in that photo paulj posted.

The area does seem to be a busy one. I think we saw a small camper off to the side in an area much like you described. There are lots of side roads that one could hide away in I think. This day was wet and there was no need to tear up side roads exploring. We do plan to go back and ride the trails on two wheels when things dry out a bit. That will give us a chance to look a little deeper into all the possibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94