Lens question for Canon

deathbywanderlust

Scientist/ Adventurer
Hi, I'm newly into photography (currently traveling US and Canada and just started really enjoying it) and use a Canon 70D for my camera. I currently have several lenses (all of which I actually use): Canon 10-18mm, Canon 70-300mm, Canon 18-135mm, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye, and Rokinon 16mm. I'm finding that my 300mm Canon just doesn't have enough zoom for some of the wildlife photos I'm taking (don't really want to get much closer to a grizzly haha) but I'm not sure what lens to go with. After looking I know I'll have to probably shell out some money if I want a good one. I looked at teleconverters but I'm not sure I want to change my f-stop that much- it's already an f/4.5-5.6.

Suggestions?

Also, probably going to need another body soon... should I get another 70D or upgrade?

Thanks!

Bamps

The 100-400mm is a lot bigger and will work out to about 640 zoom with the crop sensor. It is pricey but worth the extra

In some playing around that I've done comparing, there's not much difference that I could see between using a teleconverter and cropping. It'll probably be different in every situation.

There's also the Sigma super zooms, 150-500. I have the 50-500 Sigma, actually a pretty good lens, about the size of a small school bus though. I do like it better on my 60D then my 5dM3 though. Losing a stop or 2 with a teleconverter can limit autofocus. I'm not sure if the 70D will focus at f8 or beyond, I know the 60D won't. Which 70-300 do you have, I have the L, I really like that lens, just wish it was a little faster

Theoretician

Adventurer
The Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm zooms are you best way to get focal length for cheap, although they both approach $1k.

For a little less (maybe?) you can get either the Canon 400/5.6 or 300/4. I love the 400/5.6 even though you need to keep a close eye on the 1/focal length rule to keep the images from being motion blurred. The 300/4 has IS to combat that, and a much closer minimum focus distance, and people use a TC on it to get a 420/5.6 with good results. The primes are also a fair bit smaller than equivalent zoom lenses, with generally better detail, but you lose the focal length flexibility.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
There are lots of online lens rental companies. I highly suggest trying out a few. I personally used a Canon 100-400 for shooting gliders with good success, but those are a lot bigger than birds :)

webguy

I second the rental thoughts. I highly suggest renting for a weekend or trip before making the investment in a really expensive lens. (Unless you have the means and have to buy new and are willing to sell at a cut-rate if you don't like after using it the first time to one of your fellow Expo members).

Canon's 200-400 4L with built in 1.4 TC is an amazing lens and coveted by bird/wildlife photographers but it is pricey.

One thing to note with shooting longer than 400mm or so. You really have to use great support and for wildlife, you may need to move to a gimbal tripod head to track movement. There are only a few to choose from and you will likely need to upgrade your tripod legs if you get the super telephoto lens with fast apertures.

I have used LensRentals.com for about 7-8 years now to rent everything from a 14mm to a 600mm for professional shoots. They are one of the best in States and used by a lot of professional photographers. As such, they have one of the largest inventories and have some of the long or exotic lenses. They have up to an 800mm in Canon. After that you have to go through Canon Professional Services. https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/supertelephoto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94