Leitner rack with a headache rack fitment?

emulous74

It depends on your vehicle and the Leitner setup, my Leitner sits far enough back to have a headache rack, but the install on my truck requires to bars to attach to the front of the bed, I've seen others that don't have these bars. I have the classic leitner rack.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
thanks for the pictures that was quite helpful..... it looks like you have a lot of space between the rack and the back of the cab

is there ant reason why the Leitner frame could not sit on top of the headache rack frame on the cap rail?

I have a 2004 dodge 2500 8 foot bed

Stroked 550

Adventurer
The total length along my cap rail from cab to back of the last stake pocket is 97"

On The magnum rack the bottom of the "L" that sits on the bed rail is 7" long

according to Leitner the total length of the rack is 96"

Last edited:

emulous74

While I think you can make it work, with some fabrication, as the Leitner doesn't use the stake pockets, it does cover them, so theoretically you could install the headache rack and "lay" the Leitner on top of it, you would then need to put something under the Leitner to raise it to the same level as the part over the headache rack brackets, it would still mount with the Leitner brackets going under your bed rail. What I would worry about is the headache rack brackets going to the sides of the bedrail and then you would need to fabricate something to make the sides of the bedrail level so the Leitner can lay against it. Sounds like a lot of work to make the Leitner fit with the headache rack. What are uses for the headache rack? would a platform over your cab or roof rails give you the same functionality you are looking for? if it's just to protect your rear window, the front Leitner braces would reduce things in your bed being able to touch your rear window.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
I agree, I was planning to mount some kind of plate on the cap rail so the leitner would sit level
I was going to cut the side wall of the Magnum rack so the Leitner rack can lay evenly on top of headache rack plate

the purpose of the headache rack is multifaceted, it protects the window, it allows me to load various materials on top of and I have various lights on it

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Could fit based on the mounting situation. The GEN1 rack mounts on the frontside of the bed closest to the cab. The GEN2 does not, so I think it could work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles