Leibbrand's 06 DC Limited Tundra Build

tennesseewj

Observer
Removed the rear seat panel and built a small cabinet to hold fold up rod and other things needing to be locked when in the cab. We then made a platform to make a flat surface to mount a small drawer unit, my small dometic fridge, and the dog carrier.

Did you happen to take any detail pics of how your rear cab panel is attached or what is behind it? I would love to know more about this cabinet. I was looking at the rear seat panel recently and wondering whether I could construct a replacement that allowed for more storage behind the seats. Those factory cubbies are all but useless in my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
I was wondering the same thing about the panel behind the seats in my '05 DC. After seeing some of the MOLLE panels that guys were making for Tacoma's I was curious to see if it would work on the Tundra. I removed the panel to see what sort of space was available and it's not much....hardly anything at all really. You could maybe fit a very small amount of gear closer to the floor, but the upper part of the rear seats prevent anything being stored up higher.

I've heard from Tacoma guys that there is a noticeable increase in road noise once the rear panel and rear seats are removed. Leibbrand, do you notice this?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I was wondering the same thing about the panel behind the seats in my '05 DC. After seeing some of the MOLLE panels that guys were making for Tacoma's I was curious to see if it would work on the Tundra. I removed the panel to see what sort of space was available and it's not much....hardly anything at all really. You could maybe fit a very small amount of gear closer to the floor, but the upper part of the rear seats prevent anything being stored up higher.

I've heard from Tacoma guys that there is a noticeable increase in road noise once the rear panel and rear seats are removed. Leibbrand, do you notice this?

The difference is the tundra has the space behind the seat saved for the roll down windows and was never designed to store anything. Hence why not storage panel. The Tacoma was designed with storage panel behind the seat so it makes sense that if you remove the plastic storage panel you have a blank space for a molle panel.

When I removed my rear seats in my AC. There is a notable increase in noise but I also keep a lot in the back area which blocks a lot of the noise with a little help from the stereo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Looks great. Where did you get the bed setup? Custom made?

It was custom by a local outfit. I need to post some better pics.

Did you happen to take any detail pics of how your rear cab panel is attached or what is behind it? I would love to know more about this cabinet. I was looking at the rear seat panel recently and wondering whether I could construct a replacement that allowed for more storage behind the seats. Those factory cubbies are all but useless in my experience.

I didnt take pics, but it is attached by some thumb screws and some panel mount push pins. What's behind is bare sheet metal and an electronics bit in my truck. It something you can pop off with the seats installed and folded up on the DC.

Good summary of what I saw. Not much room, overall and little towards the floor on the DC. Some slider items could go back there on a panel perhaps. Noise, its not noticeable. I can put the mat on the board if needed. Didnt even think about it so guessing the noise isnt much.

Kpack

Adventurer
Here's what it looks like without the panel on there in case anyone is interested. Not much room. That is the factory amp in the lower right hand corner.
y4mDMALL45kzc5slf6TN32isixwg2oy4XwDY4emdj870jIWnCdUfrb8saGhP-kGHSgrPIu_N_BHMfgJEaQ79DACb_eBNbf1XRqAqBRvrr2qLGi78rIiWI4oQPcp7aRmbfCsDQgVtxCR8rm4yQ8EycYBTwD3EKihqQguRQpSdpZkJBqDHQpdkk3B8bWjEI7QTYBY7A43zgASFOJvghqvAJ9lpw

tennesseewj

Observer
Here's what it looks like without the panel on there in case anyone is interested. Not much room. That is the factory amp in the lower right hand corner.
y4mDMALL45kzc5slf6TN32isixwg2oy4XwDY4emdj870jIWnCdUfrb8saGhP-kGHSgrPIu_N_BHMfgJEaQ79DACb_eBNbf1XRqAqBRvrr2qLGi78rIiWI4oQPcp7aRmbfCsDQgVtxCR8rm4yQ8EycYBTwD3EKihqQguRQpSdpZkJBqDHQpdkk3B8bWjEI7QTYBY7A43zgASFOJvghqvAJ9lpw
You are a scholar and a gentleman, kind sir!

Seriously, though, thanks for the info guys. The space gained is definitely minimal.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Awesome photos. Looks like a great time. How'd the truck perform?

Truck did fine, I need to sort out the rear end damping. Its much smoother than the runner and can handle big drops with ease. washboards are smoother as well. Pretty happy with it.

Congrats and awesome job on the build. How long until the Drifter is ready?

thanks man. The drifter will be ready mid Oct I was told, so weeks away at most. Looking forward to getting the kitchen, fridge, and storage out of the way in the garage and fishing it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles