Leibbrand's 06 DC Limited Tundra Build

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Power Passenger Seat

Where oh where are my parts...

Ordered from Camburg, parts were suppose to be in stock, had the dude put eyes on them, post order it changes and its 5-6 weeks. Previous experience with Camburg on my 4runner was all positive but those were more common parts... So waiting on Camburg, its been 6 weeks since the order.

Its probably worth noting my experience with Solo. I'm not sure I should post all the details here, its not very positive on multiple fronts. It ended with me having to do a chargeback to recover some of my funds on the axles. Not attacking anyone's character, it might be as simple as not having the time to deal with customers. E

MCM says the canti is done and waiting to get shipped but needs to sort shipping. MCM also offered me a competitive price on deavers due to the delay, much appreciated.

This is a colossal test of my patience. I've given up most thoughts of this truck ever being ready for trip this summer.

I did source a 2005 Seq seat. For PNW people, Whiteys in Spokane has a lot of Toyotas in the yard. I was over there on a long weekend so I dropped by. :)

I had some extra time yesterday, took the day off due to an incident with my weed wacker. I swapped my good leather and foam onto the Sequoia frame rail, redid the hog rings, and a little stitching to accommodate how the bottom seat leather attaches to the seat frame. Stitching wasn't a big deal, took me like an hour to complete the few changes. I picked up the upholstery thread and needle on ebay for a few bucks.

Wiring is the same Seq to Tundra for later years, save the seat motor power. Its just two wires (white/blue) that I spliced into the drivers side. I ran it in parallel so need to be mindful if both bottom tracks are running it could blow the fuse. Why the trouble? Well partly because I could and partly because I was looking at mounting a small extinguisher in arms reach and couldn't do that very easily to the manual seat lever there.

Drivers side splice, letting the paint on insulation dry.
34250892920_25c45def82.jpg

Added inserts on car side harness (blue/white)
33826613603_cd4483ddd8.jpg

installed
34595384606_ac2c86d72d.jpg

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Im sure it would if you drove it into a tree. :) These dont manually fold but I can fold in my passenger mirror in easier.

Yeah they can be manually folded. It doesn't hurt it but if left folded. You just power the mirrors to fold and it will re click back together and can power them open again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Tundra long travel axles do exist, Matt at MCM was able to source a set from Total Chaos and I had them in my hands tonight.

Camburg also incapable of keeping commitments, ordered 'on the shelf' months ago, then it was not on the shelf and 5-6 weeks out. Numerous inquires, week 7, get them on the phone, ah its 2-3 more weeks out, 'did you call xyz vendor for them?'. F, why wait 2 months then refer me elsewhere.

Important thing is I can roll this thing again shortly.

Last edited:

Loubaru

Adventurer
Tundra long travel axles do exist, Matt at MCM was able to source a set from Total Chaos and I had them in my hands tonight.

Camburg also incapable of keeping commitments, ordered 'on the shelf' months ago, then it was not on the shelf and 5-6 weeks out. Numerous inquires, week 7, get them on the phone, ah its 2-3 more weeks out, 'did you call xyz vendor for them?'. F, why wait 2 months then refer me elsewhere.

Important thing is I can roll this thing again shortly.

Man.....whats the deal with the issues on all of the G1 Tundra suspensions? I'm assuming everyone ***-u-med they'd be the same or at least close to the G3 4Runner/G2 Tacoma front end? I was hoping that one of of you guys would figure out a good package so I could copy :). So far what I've gathered is Icon fits fine but has QA issues and everything else has fit issues you shouldn't have on a high end suspension or doesn't fit at all? Thankfully I don't want long travel and have at least a half year until I pull the trigger....

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Got the axles done today, and also got the rest of the cantilever in. Got home too late to do anything, but looking forward to set this thing back down.

34928216750_bfd78b4d9b_z.jpg

Man.....whats the deal with the issues on all of the G1 Tundra suspensions? I'm assuming everyone ***-u-med they'd be the same or at least close to the G3 4Runner/G2 Tacoma front end? I was hoping that one of of you guys would figure out a good package so I could copy :). So far what I've gathered is Icon fits fine but has QA issues and everything else has fit issues you shouldn't have on a high end suspension or doesn't fit at all? Thankfully I don't want long travel and have at least a half year until I pull the trigger....

I think the G1 stuff will settle out, its just a matter of a few going going first to sort out the bugs.

Last edited:

smokeysevin

Observer
I am not sure what the deal is, the First Gen Tundras have not changed suspension wise (within reason) since 2000 when they went into production, on top of that, camburg and total chaos have been building kits since 2001ish. There shouldnt be kinks to work out. It sounds to me like its a lack of demand causing lack of production, which results in lack of supply or delay. Solo and BTF are small enough that they probably dont want to keep kits on the shelf since it costs money to make them.

I cant and wont comment on the quality of their (Solo and BTF) stuff since I have not had it in my hands but in my (secondhand) experience, they stand by their stuff. The socal tundras and dezert rangers guys seem to love them.

Sean

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Got it back together and back down. It ended up raising the front height 3.5". I am not 100% on the brake line routing but it will work short term. I also elongated the wheel speed sensors about 10".
My jack didn't have the height, so I had to run to home depot to get a 4x6 to get the wheels back on with even these tiny tires.

35353086646_c3543609d4_z.jpg

Last edited:

A.Wilson013

Adventurer

That's eerily similar to my experience I messaged you about last month. Crazy.

Got it back together and back down. It ended up raising the front height 3.5". I am not 100% on the brake line routing but it will work short term. I also elongated the wheel speed sensors about 10".
My jack didn't have the height, so I had to run to home depot to get a 4x6 to get the wheels back on with even these tiny tires.

Leaning a 35" to get a better sense of what it'll look like.
Looks wicked! That thing is going to be so sweet when you're finished.

Here's the last jack you'll ever need.
https://proeagle-products.com/products/special-edition-black-off-road-jack

Loubaru

Adventurer
Looking good. Excited to see how it looks completed with the 35s. Pending your parts show up in time and are actually correct do you have a target timeline?

Leibbrand

Adventurer
That's eerily similar to my experience I messaged you about last month. Crazy.

Looks wicked! That thing is going to be so sweet when you're finished.

Here's the last jack you'll ever need.
https://proeagle-products.com/products/special-edition-black-off-road-jack

That's a pretty sweet product, is this in your GX kit? I think that's a 1.5 ton jack yea?

Looking good. Excited to see how it looks completed with the 35s. Pending your parts show up in time and are actually correct do you have a target timeline?

Thanks, I am looking forward to making some progress. Timeline on gears is this month. I am hoping to get the canti on this weekend. The lead time is going to be the Deavers, which is 8 weeks if I order today. So likely late Aug.

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
That's a pretty sweet product, is this in your GX kit? I think that's a 1.5 ton jack yea?

No, a little rich (and overkill) for my blood. A hi-lift for the trail and $100 alcan jack from Costco for the garage. :) It's a 2 ton jack, actually. My buddy swears by it for his LT Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles