Leibbrand's 06 DC Limited Tundra Build

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Accepting offers on this, this truck is for sale, 131k mi, the camper is sold.

Well... took the plunge a couple weeks back and picked up a 1st gen tundra. I drove a new Taco, a couple newer 2nd gens tacos, and settled on the 1st gen tundra.

Primary drivers were interior build quality, engine, and higher seating. I really wanted to like a 2nd gen taco, with all its aftermarket support, better looks, but just couldn't justify spending more for what scored lower on my top decision points. I wanted a larger rig for camping on extended trips and some off pavement activity. I'm keeping the 3rd gen runner is just too tight for longer trips, and will move away from the 4runner once I get this one done.

I debated white vs the dark grey... but then saw some blue ones. I really like the blue, and thought when its built it will be a bit more unique. 100k miles on it, figure I'll have this for a while. Interior is very clean, no rips, no stains, no seat tears.

IMG_20160724_162154032-1.jpg

IMG_20160724_162216700-1.jpg

As it Sits Now

Mods

Interior

Electrical
Exterior
  • Morimoto DS2 w/ Apollo shrouds
  • Sequoia clear corners, LED amber bulbs
  • Sequoia Power folding mirrors
  • Form Fit hood protector
  • debadded/dechromed, added CBoy808 Toyota tailgate decal
Bumpers/Armor
  • Homebrew rear bumper, Rickashay inspired, w/ led backup lights
  • Skid Row full set plates
Performance
  • Front:
    • King RR coilovers w/ adjusters
    • King 2" bumps
    • Solo Motorsports 14" long travel w/ total Chaos axles strapped w/ adjustable clevis
  • Rear:
    • King triple bypass w/ thumb clickers
    • King 2.5" bumps
    • MCM Fab 18" cantilever rear end
  • Nitro 4.56 gears
  • ARB Front and Rear Lockers
Misc

Bed/Camper/Storage
  • Platform with Nooksack modules
    • Onboard water
    • Storage boxes x3
    • Slide
    • Pull out kitchen w/ power, water, and Partner Steel stove
    • Kitchen slide w/ CFX-35
To Install/On order
  • Warn VR10,000
  • Vagabond Camper

Attachments

• IMG_20160724_162154032-1.jpg
    IMG_20160724_162154032-1.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Doing odds and ends before I make a decision on what front and rear to run. Thinking 35 Coopers, maybe method 105s, Camburg front, MCM rear, prerunner style tube front, mimic rickashays rear bump but with carrier (if MCM), eztube storage and platform in the rear.

1st mod, painting the wood trim with duplicolor trim paint. Careful masking, a wet sanding with 400 grit, and adhesion promoter. I painted my 3rd gen trim and it has held up for years.

IMG_20160731_135639290-2.jpg

IMG_20160730_171836449-10.jpg

I noticed the sequoias had the mirror switch to the console, an extra fog light switch, and an extra switch slot. They also had 4 switch slots on the center console as apposed to the DC's 2. Swapped things out and also replaced the groady foam cup holder rings while I was in there. A WA guy sells replacement rings on ebay.

IMG_20161218_135323346-21.jpg

Up next was swapping out all the incad interior and foot lights to white LEDs. Makes a big difference when its dark out and you're rummaging through things in the cab. LED panels will go in the rear seat overhead.

Pioneer NEX head unit is wired up with SWC interface, all steering wheel controls working. Wiring... so tedious to do it well. Backup camera installed. It has dual cameras, but didnt do a front.

Headlights are completed as of this evening, TRS DS2 3.0 w/ apollo shrouds and orange/white halos. I ordered 'JDM' sequoia clear corners as well to get rid of the amber lenses. No egg yolks, amber incands replaced with led all around. Final bit on the front was a form fit hood protector.

Switched the dash color to red. I used a stage light film, cut to fit in front of the clock to turn the color.

Last edited:

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Happy days, another DC Tundra! (see link in sig for mine)
Truck is looking great. When you say MCM rear, I assume you are meaning cantilever?
Do you have a link to where you got that 4 switch center console piece? I was thinking of doing a custom one with 3 switches (locker F + R and compressor) and a air gauge, but that leaves me one more switch for something else (and just re-locate the in dash air gauge) I used mine next to my mirror switch for my LED light bar. Turned the oval into a square for a Contour V.

I too love my Tundra and plan on having it for a long long time.

Whats your overall goal for the truck?

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Nice truck. Can't wait to see what else you do with it.

Thanks mate, just getting started. Hopefully I have the time to build it up.

Happy days, another DC Tundra! (see link in sig for mine)
Truck is looking great. When you say MCM rear, I assume you are meaning cantilever?
Do you have a link to where you got that 4 switch center console piece? I was thinking of doing a custom one with 3 switches (locker F + R and compressor) and a air gauge, but that leaves me one more switch for something else (and just re-locate the in dash air gauge) I used mine next to my mirror switch for my LED light bar. Turned the oval into a square for a Contour V.

I too love my Tundra and plan on having it for a long long time.

Whats your overall goal for the truck?

Hi wrench, I've stalked your thread these past few weeks. I was envying your blue equipment and that table you made.

I got the switch panel on ebay by searching for a sequoia console. Your thread actually got me looking for more switch options. I believe the push button switches will fit the consol blanks, tacoma uses the same size?
http://www.ch4x4.com/product-category/push-series/

If you're running out of space, another option is the sequoia under steering wheel trim. I believe there is a switch blank that isn't in the tundra.

MCM rear end, yea they haven't emailed me back and I'm not sure if they are a business anymore. I did some measurements and of course will need to cut into the bed to get the travel or do something like the MCM solution.

Goals for the truck: Cover ground faster than my 3rd gen, something to camp in that allows me to stretch out, isolate junk rattling and the dog whining from me, more comfort on highway.

Last edited:

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Hi wrench, I've stalked your thread these past few weeks. I was envying your blue equipment and that table you made.

I got the switch panel on ebay by searching for a sequoia console. Your thread actually got me looking for more switch options. I believe the push button switches will fit the consol blanks, tacoma uses the same size?
http://www.ch4x4.com/product-category/push-series/

If you're running out of space, another option is the sequoia under steering wheel trim. I believe there is a switch blank that isn't in the tundra.

MCM rear end, yea they haven't emailed me back and I'm not sure if they are a business anymore. I did some measurements and of course will need to cut into the bed to get the travel or do something like the MCM solution.

Goals for the truck: Cover ground faster than my 3rd gen, something to camp in that allows me to stretch out, isolate junk rattling and the dog whining from me, more comfort on highway.

Thanks for the compliments. I sure love the Miller stuff and the table has helped with so many projects. Sliders/bumpers are up next for me.

Thanks for the links about the switches, I've never seen those aftermarket push switches that mimick the OEM type.

I'd like to do the cantilever setup, but its not the best for misalignment which I get a fair bit of when adventuring. More designed for up and down travel for pre-running. I've decided to be happy with a shackle flip kit/shackles, Deaver springs and some longer travel shocks.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. I sure love the Miller stuff and the table has helped with so many projects. Sliders/bumpers are up next for me.

I'd like to do the cantilever setup, but its not the best for misalignment which I get a fair bit of when adventuring. More designed for up and down travel for pre-running. I've decided to be happy with a shackle flip kit/shackles, Deaver springs and some longer travel shocks.

I need to read more, I dont know much about the tradeoffs are with the canti. I wonder if it would flex less than a truck with a shackle kit. Just thinking it might be ok if it does no better.

rickashay

Explorer
And another 1-G-T. We're on a roll!

Good looking truck. nice way to free up a couple extra slots for switches by extending the mirror switches else ware. Thats one of the most annoying things about these trucks!

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Pulled off the calipers and rebuilt them, painted them with G2 caliper paint, some stickers for more stopping power, and added speed bleeders. Stoptech rotors, and hawk pads. Need to find some stainless lines and put it together again.

29152757163_189472e515_z.jpg

And another 1-G-T. We're on a roll!

Good looking truck. nice way to free up a couple extra slots for switches by extending the mirror switches else ware. Thats one of the most annoying things about these trucks!

you and a few others influenced my decision to go with this over the taco. =). Switches, 4 in the console I don't think will be enough nd I have to move an air duct. Gotta look at putting a flush panel in the lower drivers dash or something. Something to keep it OE-ish.

Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
When I swapped out organic pads for ceramic pads and the old rubber lines for stainless all around it was amazing the difference in stopping power. The pedal firmed up a lot and first time I felt it I thought something was off until I mashed the pedal and the truck stopped much quicker than I expected. It has a more predictable feel to it now.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Made some more switch panels, been working too much to do much of anything.

Took a sequoia rear climate control that came on the console and epoxied in a toyota sequoia rear window switch panel. Also took a tundra bed light switch panel, cut it down, glued it in the panel. Voltmeter on its way from AU. Turned out OE looking. Started thinking how to relocate the duct under the console, think I have a way to do that.

29890910304_c7bbda870b_c.jpg

29890927874_fcc20486bb_c.jpg

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Changed 05-06 cluster to white, slowly switching to red dash. Changed overhead panel.

30640157376_8e9c12ecc4_c.jpg

Color change for the overhead us straightforward, take a 6" x 2" strobe film (same as 3rd gen 4runner clock color change), dark red, put it over the green LCD. Swap out the 5 incands to red LEDs.

Color change on later model clusters requires soldering micro LEDs. I have a message out on what it would take, my solder skills aren't there to risk the cluster. I'm not so worried about cluster, just not sure where the odometer NVM is.

The back lighting is white, the dash gauge face is where the green comes from. White is better than lame green, so I changed it to white in the mean time. This is a stem needed anyway.

Remove the cluster, remove the needles by pulling straight off,
Pull the face off and prepare to sand the back.
Sand the back with 400 wet sanding paper. Not all the material needs to come off, just around the numbers (dont forget the km/h like I did).

30041948023_f4acaa8910_c.jpg

To remove the odometer green plastic film, carefully pull straight out the LCD - handle the LCD by the side to avoid fingerprints
Remove the green film, align the pins, and reinsert the LCD.

Last edited:

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Well, that escalated quickly.

What gear ratio did you get?
Looking at it now, 20% off might be hard to resist. I am thinking 4.56 for my 35's.

What did you get from Solo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles