Legality Of Tyre Size

Mr Rehab

Traveller
No, I don't think so Dave, trucks above 4500kg are already subject to annual inspection in QLD and the heavy vehicles also have sporadic roadside checks with QLD TMR officers. I'm not really across this push by QLD police but it seems to be targeted at the 4wd crowd with their suspensions lifts and 'outsize' tyres, unfortunately.

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
The difference is in the classification - Small trucks come under the "NB" NB1 (under 4499KG) NB2 ( Over 4500 KG) -
Wheel/tyre size change must be tested via second stage manufacturing system. The rules say a placard is to be fitted by a authorised person showing the new GVM etc.
This has nothing to do with the wheel test or tyre test, that is separate and fairly easy to pass in comparison.

moose2367

Also good to know that for the heavy vehicle stops, where it says you must stop etc, is only for commercial vehicles, not private, like campers etc.
It would be interesting to be pulled up for this type of operation in a heavy vehicle to see what they say, i'm on 37's, increased GVM and GCM, engine and transmission conversion and all mod plated and legal. I have heard that some guys were being defected even for engineered mods, light vehicles obviously.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
One concern is that mod plates and engineers certificates (which I was told were only technically valid for 8 years) are all state based.
So... what's legal in one state may not be legal in another. That should not be a concern unless selling the vehicle in another state to where it is registered, but it's just something else that can potentially become an issue.

Wyuna

Observer
One concern is that mod plates and engineers certificates (which I was told were only technically valid for 8 years) are all state based.
So... what's legal in one state may not be legal in another. That should not be a concern unless selling the vehicle in another state to where it is registered, but it's just something else that can potentially become an issue.

Thats doesn't seem right, i was under the impression that once its got a mod plate its valid for the life of the vehicle, or until you remove the medication that required the plate.

you are spot on about the the mod plate is only valid in the state of were the modification was done and certified.

I've got Three QLD Blue mod plates on my Van, I'm glad im not planning on moving to another state, one can hope that one day we get a national modification plate system in place.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
...one can hope that one day we get a national modification plate system in place.
Don't hold your breath.

I apologise for not being more specific...
When I was originally looking to buy a used motorhome I was having discussions with my local motor registry regarding various modifications.
The chief inspector, with whom I had been having these discussions, informed me that an engineers report was only valid for eight years. After that time it was at the motor registry's discretion to accept the original engineers report or to insist on the vehicle/modification being reassessed.

Personally, I thought this was a bit sus, as rules can change over time. So, something approved initially may no longer be considered acceptable, which could prove to be a major pain.
As stated, mod plates and engineers reports are state based, so the above may only be true for the ACT, which is where I am from.

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
The Fed "system" is the second stage manufacturing. Some mod`s are off limits to the blue plate system used in some states. If memory servs the blue plate allows one to travel in every state, not meeting road regs in every state.

moose2367

Heavy vehicles can be multiple states from what my engineer said, as long as they are certified for those states. Mine is registered and mod plated in Vic, i live in Qld but have a business in Vic. He was also certified for Qld as i was concerned about changing rego, decided not to, inspections every year in Qld, not in vic, just pay it

Cuddy

Observer
It was my understanding that the NHVR - National Heavy Vehicle Reguator looks after any modifications to heavy vehicles- ( vehicle over 4.5t)??
Before I had engineering for my wheels and tyres I had to submit a form to them and wait for there reply paperwork- didn’t happen in a hurry!

nugget

Observer
moose I have just purchased #50 and am interested what rims you are running your 37's on, particularly the offset.

Cheers

moose2367

moose I have just purchased #50 and am interested what rims you are running your 37's on, particularly the offset.

Cheers
They are moto metal 961 with 4.5 backspacing, 8x6.5 stud pattern and 125.5mm centre bore. There are some new all terrains available from EVA that are the highest available in weight rating, going to try them next, i got 22000klm from a set of Nitto A/T's and less than that on some goodride M/T's

moose2367

It was my understanding that the NHVR - National Heavy Vehicle Reguator looks after any modifications to heavy vehicles- ( vehicle over 4.5t)??
Before I had engineering for my wheels and tyres I had to submit a form to them and wait for there reply paperwork- didn’t happen in a hurry!
I just dropped mine off at the engineers, they did a brake test and swerve test, picked it up the next day.

They looked for other vehicles the same for upgraded GCM and GVM limits. I think tyres were the limiting factor, mine are bang on the limit, 6.4T. Cost $1500 for engine, trans, power steering box and mount, wheels/tyres and upgrade GVM and GCM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles