LED work light on a tire carrier, options to think about?

Scoutman

Explorer
I'm building a swing out tire carrier on our XJ and one of the things I want to incorporate is a work light with a flood beam above the tire. When the carrier is swung open it would be pointing out at camp for setting up tents and such and could be adjusted (twist or pitch) to point where it's needed.

I've seen some builds on here that have an adjustable 'mast' to get the light up higher. For those who have done this, is it worth it or does it just add complexity and rattles to the package?

There's a ridiculous number of options out there in all price, quality, and output ranges. One option I was looking at was being able to snap on a colored cover to change the light color. An amber or red cover would be useful in certain cases but could be white just as easily. LED is a must since this would probably be left on for 1-4 hours in the evening. Mainly this is to eliminate the 'Coleman Lantern' part of the camp kit.

I'm not set on these but this is just one option I've looked at. Price seems to be middle of the board. Available snap on cover, ~1400 lm output, single mount pivot point. This will be wired to a switch in the cargo area only. What others have y'all used and what would you change or look for in a camp work light?

3" light cubes
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...uxiliary-work-light/1782/#/tab/Specifications

Colored covers.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...xiliary-work-light-lens-cover--colored-/1784/

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
I had two of those Hella for a while mounted to the back of my rack. They were insanely bright which was good thing. The bad was that they got really hot and melted my third brake light cover. I have switched to Hella marine Seahawk flood lights.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a 6" LED flood light that I am mounting just above my 3rd brake light via a small bracket I am making. I am going to wire it to a switch on the dash. I have had it fired up on my 9.6v drill battery and its bright then! so I know it will flood the camp area pretty good.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Work light....

I have a 6" LED flood light that I am mounting just above my 3rd brake light via a small bracket I am making. I am going to wire it to a switch on the dash. I have had it fired up on my 9.6v drill battery and its bright then! so I know it will flood the camp area pretty good.

I have a "Riged" D2 flood mounted on the back of my topper with a magnetic base on a plate with a 6"pig tail and connector for a long accordian cable with a accessory plug mounted. With this and a mounting plate on each side of the roof of the topper and power ports in the cab and topper I can get light anywhere for work/camp light. with the magnet mounted light it also can be placed any where else on the vehicals sheetmetal (unless you have a new F150 with the aluminum body Ha, Ha. like I do) Anyway it works, draws little power and can be removed so as not to be stolen, rigs in a minute or so

Clintnz

Observer
I made one a few months back. Used a cheap LED work light from a local auto parts store, about 20W IIRC & a surprisingly solid unit for under $30. Works great. Fabbing up the extendable/swiveling mast was fairly easy. If you are going to use an mega bright LED unit I would try & make the mast extend pretty tall so it doesn't blind you.

rP1050377_zpspda4amyq.jpg

There are some more pics in my build thread.

Cheers
Clint

40th80

I made one using a mono camera Pole that adjusts and locks to different heights. It also swivels 360 for either camping flood light or task/cooking lighting for working on the tailgate. Drilled some holes and attached with u-bolts and rubber to eliminate rattling. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455135660.845873.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1455135678.250193.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1455135684.249105.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1455135689.997079.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I bought a couple of large painters clamps at Home Depot and attached LED flood lights to them. The lights have a long zipline cord that plug into the trailer's nose box or any cig lighter outlet. I can clamp them to the awning, the trailer's ladder, the truck's roof rack, etc. Allowed me to leave the Coleman lantern at home.

b6d6fd35-095b-4098-b194-63ee60c4133a_1000.jpg

M35A2

Tinkerer
I bought a couple of large painters clamps at Home Depot and attached LED flood lights to them. The lights have a long zipline cord that plug into the trailer's nose box or any cig lighter outlet. I can clamp them to the awning, the trailer's ladder, the truck's roof rack, etc. Allowed me to leave the Coleman lantern at home.

b6d6fd35-095b-4098-b194-63ee60c4133a_1000.jpg

Simple is best. Maximum versatility, too. Nice.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm using little LED truck-bed lights from Walmart $10 and an old fire alarm 12/7 rechargeable agm battery. Portable schmortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94