LED vs HID

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
For legal and simplicity reasons the Truck-Lite are amazing, and the sheer fact they work great too. I couldn't be happier.
4632-albums830-picture33390.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Pulling the trigger today on headlights and would like real world feedback on your experience with either a HID or LED headlight upgrade. I have narrowed down to;
Vantage Optics:
http://www.vantageoptics.com/shop/!/7x6-Sealed-Beam-Projector-Retrofit-Kit/p/71993086/category=0
and
Trucklite:
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...=15554&parent_category_rn=13089&storeId=10001

We have had really good luck with the SDX ones. https://www.amazon.com/HeadlightTM-...e_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=yo_ii_img

Vannibal Smith

I have vantage optics hid's, and could not possibly be happier. The difference was night and day compared to the stock lights. The Vantage optics lights were easy to install, and have been very reliable. No problems at all, and the focused beam from projector lights provides really crisp coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djbonsu

Adventurer
I went with Trucklites....simple plug n play and great light output. Night & day differences from the stock lights. Im sure the vantage optics HID/projector combo is nice and probably throws a bit more light than the Trucklites but I've had issues with aftermarket ballasts on HID kits in the past and that was the deal breaker for me.

REDOVAL

Adventurer
Pulling the trigger today on headlights and would like real world feedback on your experience with either a HID or LED headlight upgrade. I have narrowed down to;
Vantage Optics:
http://www.vantageoptics.com/shop/!/7x6-Sealed-Beam-Projector-Retrofit-Kit/p/71993086/category=0
and
Trucklite:
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...=15554&parent_category_rn=13089&storeId=10001

I'm happy that Vantage Optics is an option you are considering! My $0.02 besides having an actual claim in this has to do with the light output of the lights. The led versions have excessive foreground lighting which is great for auxiliary needs and fog, but not beneficial for main headlight operation since the eye is drawn to the bright spots directly in front of the vehicle. I am quite familiar with the Truck Lite products and they are very nicely made units that produce great light compared to stock. My sealed beam conversion projector retrofit lights throw light further from the vehicle and limit foreground to keep the hot spots out where they need to be to actually drive safer at speed. High beam operation on the projectors involves a solenoid-operated shield that moves to allow the full bowl to allow light output rather than adjusting current to the bulb. This equates to longer life for the bulbs, though LED will have a longer usable life if there are no internal component failures. The LED are far easier to install, but harder/impossible to repair in the field. Please take these comments as constructive information rather than pushing my personal product.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics
vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
One thing that sold me was "Truck-Lite LED Limited Lifetime Lamp Warranty"
Sounds like a hassle free ownership.

Here's a crappy video I made with the trucklite & Hellas

https://youtu.be/j9GOu-1j5jk

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
If JW speaker makes anything that fits, with their projector style LED I would go that route. I had truck lites on my Jeep and was not impressed. The light output was too blue/purple to be useful in rain, and the light output was very uneven with hot spots ABOVE the main cutoff. Nearly equal to a 90s reflector low beam but with an LED that was too blue.
I installed JW speaker fog lights on the same Jeep and they were phenomenal for the price. Super clean full light pattern, sharp cutoff and white color output. I aimed them as low beams and they blew away the truck Lites.

The only thing good about the truck lites is that they were better than the horrible stock jeep lighting, but there are better options.

If you're only considering a truck lite or hid projector, do the HID projector. I have no doubt that they will put out more light and it will be so much more even. Even if they aren't "legal" they will work much better AND bother other drivers less.

Eventually I'll order some HIDs (newer style 2011) from Scott for my money pit. So much more to do on my rig still, and I'm not driving much at night lately.

Raul

Adventurer
I installed aftermarket HIDs bulbs on the regular headlights and the improvement was impressive. After some adjustment I do not bother the oncoming traffic and the light is great. Still some bright spots and not the nicest cut out though.

I will eventually get some projectors from VangeOptics. You can source the parts yourself and mess your mom's kitchen and you will not save much.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks for the input y'all, I ordered the truck-lites and will give a report once I receive them and get them installed. I was torn and ultimately the non moving part aspect and not needing relays and lower operating temp sold me, I may end up with Scotts HID's if these do not meet expectation but I had to make a choice and I got them for a relatively good deal through amazon.

gh0ztkid21

Observer
Rigid industries makes a head light for the ford e350 van that I have on my 2014 van. The brightest headlights I have on all my vehicles (Acura tl, Acura MDX, Kia Optima, and Ford F-150 fx4) they are crystal clear, super bright and look stock. I can get more information on them if you'd like and even post pictures.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Rigid industries makes a head light for the ford e350 van that I have on my 2014 van. The brightest headlights I have on all my vehicles (Acura tl, Acura MDX, Kia Optima, and Ford F-150 fx4) they are crystal clear, super bright and look stock. I can get more information on them if you'd like and even post pictures.

Pretty sure those are re-badged trucklites. I've seen them for sale and they were a bit more expensive than the trucklites, probably because of the rigid name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000