LED off road lighting

sisu

Adventurer
Anyone have experience with LED off road lights?
I've been looking at 10" SR-Series Hybrid LED Light bar from Rigid Industries LED Lighting. I would like to mount it to my Ranchhand bumper that's on my 2006 Cummins Dodge. Not much draw on the electrical system, life of product seems to be reasonable especially for our use of this particular truck. The 10 inch combo is what I am looking to purchase.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and alternatives would also be great.
thanks
S

http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/srseries10.htm

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Ive had 2 of the dually D2 LED driving lights on the front of my truck for a while now and love them. They put out great light, draw almost nothing and and built really well. They are pretty pricey though but definitely worth it to me so far.

jet noise

Observer
I've got the 10" SR and a pair of D2s from rigid. Bomb proof. I had the duallys and upgraded them, but can't tell much difference in light output between the two. The white light put out from these LEDs make night runs fun!

Timgco

Adventurer
been using Rigid's lights for a few years now on 3 different builds.

great quality!

The D2 Dually lights (4" X 4") are very bright/ compact, so you can find many places to mount those.

The 10" bars are bright also, however I feel that the 20" bar is were their lights really come alive. If you are looking for a max 10" bar, try to go with either spot or flood. The combo beam in that length cuts down on it's "real world" light output/ distance imho.

the 10" specter is very bright also.

If you are local to Denver, happy to show what I run.
I just took my 40" bar off. I'm going to larger tires and that will keep me from fitting into the garage. I am still running 2 D2 dually's and a 20" combo bar. I went with their white and also have their amber difusers for those snowy/ foggy nights.

clandr1

Adventurer
I've owned a 20" Rigid for about 13 months and the only issue I had was having to replace the relay ($4). The light itself is wonderful, but whether or not you should spend the money on them depends on your needs. They absolutely flood the area in front of you with light out to about 75 yards.

However, if you need something that offers extreme reach, you might be better served with an HID setup. That being said if you are ok with a "wall of light" in front of you, without extreme throw, the Rigids are excellent in that regard.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've owned a 20" Rigid for about 13 months and the only issue I had was having to replace the relay ($4). The light itself is wonderful, but whether or not you should spend the money on them depends on your needs. They absolutely flood the area in front of you with light out to about 75 yards.

However, if you need something that offers extreme reach, you might be better served with an HID setup. That being said if you are ok with a "wall of light" in front of you, without extreme throw, the Rigids are excellent in that regard.

This has been my experience also, most LED lights currently on the market blast crazy amounts of very bright light right out in front of you, but don't have good distance penetration.
I think a big reason is their bluish-white light (5000-6500°K). Our eyes (mine especially, it seems) don't respond as well to such light as they do the 3500-4200°K light of halogen and your better HID setups, so I've avoided them. If any of the manufacturers get with the program and start releasing lights with lower (more natural) color temperature LEDs I'd certainly reconsider them.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
yep i agree also. I like the light right in front of me. I just have 2 of the dually D2 driving lights and they are perfect for slow trails and stuff at night because of how much light they put directly infront of you. I did think about adding some HIDs for better throw .

colodak

Adventurer
been using Rigid's lights for a few years now on 3 different builds.

great quality!

The D2 Dually lights (4" X 4") are very bright/ compact, so you can find many places to mount those.

The 10" bars are bright also, however I feel that the 20" bar is were their lights really come alive. If you are looking for a max 10" bar, try to go with either spot or flood. The combo beam in that length cuts down on it's "real world" light output/ distance imho.

the 10" specter is very bright also.

If you are local to Denver, happy to show what I run.
I just took my 40" bar off. I'm going to larger tires and that will keep me from fitting into the garage. I am still running 2 D2 dually's and a 20" combo bar. I went with their white and also have their amber difusers for those snowy/ foggy nights.

actually, I am local to Denver, would be interested in seeing this as I'm thinking of putting a 20" on my bumper above my winch and possibly another on my roof rack.

bob91yj

Resident **************
From a race on Sunday/sell on Monday side of the fence, Rigid's stuff is very popular with desert racers from Spec classes to Trophy Truck/Class 1, lots of Rigid's stuff is out there. Having said that, almost all of the teams also run HID's with the LED's. At first I thought it was because they already had the HID's and added the LED stuff, but as others have said the LED's just don't have the distance yet.

Try pm'ing Marc1904, he's been dabbling in the Chinese LED business. I'm hard on equipment, have a knack for catching flying gravel/rocks with the most fragile components/rarely really NEED aux lighting while driving. I've had good luck with the Chinese HID's, have a set of 4" on the LJ and 8" on a light/antenna bar on the GMC. On the rare occasion that I need them they have always met my needs (maybe 20 hours on the truck lights, all of it in Baja). Not much experience with the Chinese LED's but seriously considering a 20" bar on the front and some side/rear aux lighting as well. I've got two cheap LED flood/work lights on the back of the camper already. A couple of the individual LED's quit working in one of them almost immediately, no issues since with at least 100 hours on them.

I'm sure I'm going to catch hell for going with the knock off stuff, but I tend to use what works for me rather than what the interweb assures me I NEED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles