LED Light Bars; Post Up Pics

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
467ed2259aa455d90c6346495403f946.jpg
here you can see my truck and my wife running the Rigids with Amber filters as running lights on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leman

Adventurer
Rigid dually floods as fog lights
Rigid 10" E series spot above the fair lead
Sidetracked off-road tracker 70watt lights on the a pillars
Sidetracked off-road 50" single row combo bar

I may have gone a little overboard
ee973b347f03009d6fbf9a425e4c88f4.jpg

Kottonwood

Adventurer
Here is my setup. I have two led light bars. I have a fourteen inch spot mounted low and a 32 combo mounted high. I also have two hids low in the bumper. I have the two hids and the 14 inch wired so that when you flip the brights on they come on. The top led light is wired so if I flip a switch one way it is on if I flip it the other way then it is controlled by the brights like the others.

I got both of these leds about a year ago cheap from ebay, since then I have been in nine countries with them. They have held up alright but they have gotten less bright for sure. Also the small one has three leds out. There is visible moisture in both behind the lens... for what I paid I am happy.

As far as light output goes... the hids are the best. The "spot" led on the front acts more like a flood that fills in the area already covered by my brights and hids. Flipping the upper one on hardly is noticeable when all the lower ones are on. However I have the upper one wired to the house battery so it is great for midnight surfing and whatnot... that is how it has seen most of its use, I never really use it on the road.

Overall I am not sure if I am gonna keep the upper one. I would really like to get something that goes a lot further. Some people on this thread talk about never being able to outdrive their lights... I am not that way. These are probalby three times as bright as my stock high beams but I outdrive the hell of them. Especially on paved roads late at night. I am in upstate NY now and there are a lot of deer on these country roads, also turns that come out of nowhere.

anyways here are the pics.
2mms7qr.jpg

7296ds.jpg

34zk7s7.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I always wonder why LED light users always have like 2 bars, a couple of sets of small lights and maybe another bar on the hood? are they that crappy that you need all that? I have two HID hellas and its more than enough light for my needs. No need for extra lights, I see 1000m down the road, and wide enough to see the treeline on a 3 lane highway and illuminate the ditches on both sides to the tree line close in.

kojackJKU

Here is my setup. I have two led light bars. I have a fourteen inch spot mounted low and a 32 combo mounted high. I also have two hids low in the bumper. I have the two hids and the 14 inch wired so that when you flip the brights on they come on. The top led light is wired so if I flip a switch one way it is on if I flip it the other way then it is controlled by the brights like the others.

I got both of these leds about a year ago cheap from ebay, since then I have been in nine countries with them. They have held up alright but they have gotten less bright for sure. Also the small one has three leds out. There is visible moisture in both behind the lens... for what I paid I am happy.

As far as light output goes... the hids are the best. The "spot" led on the front acts more like a flood that fills in the area already covered by my brights and hids. Flipping the upper one on hardly is noticeable when all the lower ones are on. However I have the upper one wired to the house battery so it is great for midnight surfing and whatnot... that is how it has seen most of its use, I never really use it on the road.

Overall I am not sure if I am gonna keep the upper one. I would really like to get something that goes a lot further. Some people on this thread talk about never being able to outdrive their lights... I am not that way. These are probalby three times as bright as my stock high beams but I outdrive the hell of them. Especially on paved roads late at night. I am in upstate NY now and there are a lot of deer on these country roads, also turns that come out of nowhere.

anyways here are the pics.
2mms7qr.jpg

7296ds.jpg

34zk7s7.jpg

Ditch the led and go full HID. 2 6" housings with 55w hids in them and your golden. I don't outdrive my lights. I am in the same boat as you. Lots of late night driving with 1000s of moose on our roads. LED are bright when looking at them, but don't do crap down the road.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
LED are bright when looking at them, but don't do crap down the road.

This is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time. What kind of speed are you driving that you're actually outdriving the light from any halfway-decent light bar? the little 100-watt spot/flood combo light bar I referenced referenced earlier in this thread gives me more than enough distance and breadth to drive the same 70mph on desert 2-tracks as I do in daylight. I couldn't possibly imagine needing more light than that in anything short of an offroad race car/truck moving at much higher speeds.

java

Expedition Leader
This is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time. What kind of speed are you driving that you're actually outdriving the light from any halfway-decent light bar? the little 100-watt spot/flood combo light bar I referenced referenced earlier in this thread gives me more than enough distance and breadth to drive the same 70mph on desert 2-tracks as I do in daylight. I couldn't possibly imagine needing more light than that in anything short of an offroad race car/truck moving at much higher speeds.

Your beating a dead horse wiht him. He has his opinion, which is acctually educated, and doesnt like lightbars that wash the foreground. Lets not turn this thread into another one of "those" its about light bars.

4x4junkie

Explorer
All one needs to do is point a "spot" LED light bar (even a "good" one such as Rigid) and then a pair of good quality halogen or HID lights (Hella 4000, etc.) into the distant darkness and the difference in what you can see will be night & day (literally).

kojackJKU

Your beating a dead horse wiht him. He has his opinion, which is acctually educated, and doesnt like lightbars that wash the foreground. Lets not turn this thread into another one of "those" its about light bars.

My experience is with rigid lights of many types. They are highly over rated. And the color of most LED lights are way to blue for my liking. I would however like to see the ARB LED Intensity light. They sound promising. But for the most part, LED lightbars just wash the front of the rig with way to much light and then it just stops.

Slicky72

Adventurer
Just bought a rigid clone for my quad and it is a massive improvement over the factory headlights . Best part is that it is only a 6 Cree flood with a piddly 18 watt consumption. It is super bright and throws light much further than I was expecting :)

aerofab

My experience is with rigid lights of many types. They are highly over rated. And the color of most LED lights are way to blue for my liking. I would however like to see the ARB LED Intensity light. They sound promising. But for the most part, LED lightbars just wash the front of the rig with way to much light and then it just stops.

We get it... For you, HID lights work great. What I do and I'm sure many who have posted, LED bars are the lighting of choice. Been there and done that with other types of lighting and I've found what works best for me. There is not one tire that is best in all situations and it's the same for lighting.

Now back to the pics. This is just after I finished the bumper and installed the Alien LED 30" x-series (why it actually looks clean) Great build quality, similar to Rigid.

Hated the mounts that came with it, so made some of my own. Still have a few sets laying around that are out of 3/16" if anyone wants a set.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles