LED flood lights

dzzz

Any suggestions for flood lights around the camper? Principally for arrival, set-up and repairs at night. Not for general camp lighting. The one on the rear will also work as a manually controlled backup light.
400-600 lumens seems to be common ratings. Has anyone found their lights to be too bright or not bright enough?
I'm also curious what lights are put in exterior storage compartments.

4x4mike

Adventurer
There are several nice offerings from vision x. Check out their website. You don't need many lights as they are very bright and you can get them with flood.

liftedlimo

Adventurer
I have the Vision X Solo pods on my quad, 35/15 elliptical beam, and WOW they are bright! One Pod is brighter then both my 35w headlights combined! They draw under 10 watts of power at 14v and, according to my paperwork, produce 900 lumen each. I love them. They have a flood beam pattern that I would use for an outdoor light, but for a camper light just illuminating a smaller area beside the camper(like a rear door/backup light) I would use a 35/15, depending on how high you mount it.

They are not HID bright by themselves, but last 50,000 hours and draw under 10 watts of power, so I am sold and plan to use them for everything I own short of super long range driving spots that my HIDs work wonderfully for.

Last edited:

UNI

Adventurer
Here are the lights we have added to our Jeep and Trailer

Front of Jeep: Hella Rallye 4000 Halogen Cornering Lamps

Top of Rack: (One on each side of rack) Hella Generation II Module 70 LED Floodlight (Black)

Top of Rack: (One on rear of rack, wired directly into back up lights) Hella LED Mega Beam (Black)

Trailer: (Each side & rear of trailer - Total 3 lamps) Hella Matador Work Lights w/Grille (H3 Bulbs)

As others have said, the LED lamps will save power. I used the Halogen Matador lamps for our trailer, but if your wanting the LED lamps, the LED lamps I used on the Jeep rack would work great for you and they are BRIGHT (Real Bright).

dzzz

Specifically rigid has a precisely defined optical system and vision x throws a lens on the front to handle wider beams. The only vision x line that's comparable to rigid is the new reflex line. Vision X has claimed to "out spec" rigid with that line, but that's their marketing strategy.
The only field I could find was in a Toyota forum and rigid was brighter and more energy efficient.
I also don't like how vision x's idea of design is to put stickers on the face of the light.
My choice for a forward facing led light is easy. For side and rear lights the choice is not so clear. I'm thinking for side lights a couple smaller lights will be better than one large light (I have a camper).

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Something to add here on the warmth of the light.

For a reverse light having a light that is bright and harsh isn't really an issue. Having a flood light that is harsh is very tiring on the eyes. You need something that provides a warmer light, that is less harsh, and at the same time illuminates the required area.

So along with the amps, the Lumnes and Footcandles take into account quality of light.

UNI

Adventurer
I agree with "Martyn", that is one of the reasons we went with the Matador Work Lights on the trailer. Also, the Matador Lights have an on/off switch on each light and can be turned on when light is needed in that area.

Last edited:

dzzz

There are a lot of hella lights with US part numbers that don't seem to be available here. You could call West Marine (and pay full retail).

UNI

Adventurer
Slooowr6 Posted: Since we are on this subject, anyone knows where to get Hella LED Sea Hawk, http://www.hellamarine.com/?a=3&t=3&...D=817&pcid=170 . It only draws 3W/250 lumens, would be great to use around camp site.

That Hella product is so NEW that it is not stocked in the USA as of yet, you can get the Hella LED Sea Hawk lights. Here is a distributor that can get the lights for you from New Zealand.

Apex Lighting (Florida)
(954) 421-3267
Link: (Apex) YachtLights

Note: After placing your order with Apex, turn around time on receiving your lights would be approximately 28 days.

Hope this helps,
Alan

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
That Hella product is so NEW that it is not stocked in the USA as of yet, you can get the Hella LED Sea Hawk lights. Here is a distributor that can get the lights for you from New Zealand.

Apex Lighting (Florida)
(954) 421-3267
Link: (Apex) YachtLights

Note: After placing your order with Apex, turn around time on receiving your lights would be approximately 28 days.

Hope this helps,
Alan

Thanks for the information. I'll ping them and see what's the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94