LED flashlights that use regular batteries or rechargeable? (early 2017 edition)

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
another Ozark Trail bargain...better than it has to be

I mentioned headlamps in an earlier post and I know a few others have as well.

This is a good one, currently on sale, though they're out of stock and won't ship for a few weeks.
https://slickdeals.net/f/10140668-black-diamond-spot-headlamp-2017-model-29-96-f-s
In my earlier post, I forgot to mention a headlamp I bought at Walmart, primarily for "snake patrol" in my back yard (we have eight dogs, some very large and tough, and some very small and vulnerable, so I scout the yard at night with a frog gig, for cottonmouths and/or copperheads). It was just a temporary purchase, until I could find a better one. But, it turned out to be just what I needed, and has lasted for a year, despite rough treatment. It has Cree technology, and for $20, it is better than I expected. I might pick up another, since they are now on clearance.Ozark Trail 225 lumens three AAA batteries.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
In my earlier post, I forgot to mention a headlamp I bought at Walmart, primarily for "snake patrol" in my back yard (we have eight dogs, some very large and tough, and some very small and vulnerable, so I scout the yard at night with a frog gig, for cottonmouths and/or copperheads). It was just a temporary purchase, until I could find a better one. But, it turned out to be just what I needed, and has lasted for a year, despite rough treatment. It has Cree technology, and for $20, it is better than I expected. I might pick up another, since they are now on clearance.View attachment 400171
Cool.

And the EA41 is a really neat little photon torpedo. The diffuser thingie makes it very friendly on the eye for walking around.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Hey all,

Did anyone else get a PM as a result of this thread? I did. A new member with zero posts sent me a PM asking if I would like to review their product, and the PM included a link to a $40 flashlight on Amazon.

Now, there are companies who will send you a free product if you agree to review it, and there a folks on Youtube who make a decent chunk of change doing reviews. But I'm not one of them, so it seemed a bit fishy to me.

Anyway, I replied that sure, be happy to. Naturally, I got no reply which pretty much confirmed it was some clickbait sales pitch troll, but I figured I'd give it some time before bringing it up here and then reporting it to the mods.

Anyone else?

Yup, I was contacted by the company, ThorFire, and I couldn't resist the temptation of a free flashlight in exchange for an Amazon review. It wasn't a hoax---I received the free light in a couple of days. The flashlight is the ThorFire TG06S. It takes either one AA battery (high beam 150 lumens) or a 14500 (500 lumens). No pressure was put on me to post a positive review, but I actually like this little light. With one AA battery the throw is close to flashlights with three AAA batteries, while the spill is narrower. The runtime on high is short (55 minutes, or 2h 15 min at 80 lumens), so this light would work for short-term situations. It's well made.

Last edited:

rontaki

Observer
Nitecore flashlights - fragile?

I've been a flashaholic for longer than I can remember. I have had, and currently have several Nitecore flashlights, as does a friend of mine.
Nitecore torches have great features for the price, and seem fairly well-built.

However! - between my friend and I, several Nitecore lights went tits-up after being dropped. Sometimes from waist height onto concrete, sometimes two feet to linoleum over concrete. Sometimes without any abuse whatsoever! I probed them with a meter, and it seems that the LED driver is what died. The LED itself glows when measured on the diode test setting. This was the case on an SRT7 that has color LEDs as well as the main CREE white emitter, the driver for the white LED is what croaked but the color modes still worked.

At this point, I won't trust Nitecore lights in critical situations. I've had Eagletac torches, and while those seem to be fairly rugged, the "twist the head to change modes" bit turns me off. Too much maintenance with cleaning and lubing the threads and the contacts that make the twist system work.

Currently in love with Armytek, I have one of their smaller, pocket-sized torches, a Prime C2 Pro with the warm emitter. Not a thrower nor meant to be but the color rendition is fantastic! I've deliberately slammed it down on a cement floor padded with industrial carpeting, and it works just fine. Their larger lights have potted electronics, and they claim that water intrusion won't kill it.

And at all costs, avoid candlepowerforums.com, as you may end up with more flashlights and less money :elkgrin:

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
I realize the focus (no pun intended) here is on lensed/reflector flashlights, and I'm a fan too. I have several Streamlights, all using CR123s. But, I bought an $8 Nebo C-O-B pocket clip worklight last year and, damn, that thing is useful. The clip has a magnet and we now have one clipped to the door hinge on our front and back doors, so they're always handy for trips outside. I like them so much, I bought 8 for Christmas gifts. And the larger one, with the metal body and the magnet in the base, lives in our vehicle. That one, called a Lil Larry I think, has two light modes and a red flash. The larger one is under $20 and both use standard (AAA or AA) batteries.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks, rontaki. I'll keep an eye on my Nitecore.
I do plan to use this for both camping and potentially SAR missions. I've usually got at least 4 other flashlights in the Jeep at any time though.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Just obtained a Streamlight Protac HL 4. UNBELIEVABLE! Puts out 2200 lumens - you could just about light up a satellite passing overhead. Uses four of the CR123s, or two 18650s. Very sturdy, nicely finished, expensive...

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
6 week old thread, but the best all-around everyday flashlight that I use, that is *always* clipped in my pocket whether wearing jeans or hiking shorts or nighttime jersey shorts, is a Streamlight Microstream (http://amzn.to/2ukMcal) that uses just one AAA cell.

I have a ton of both AA and AAA rechargeable Eneloop batteries (known for keeping up to 80% or more of their charge in storage for looong periods of time) for photography gear and other things, so always have a ready supply around, fully charged. Though one AAA cell lasts admirably long, and this little light throws a sweet, bright, little beam. Enough that I haven't reached for my 3 D Cell maglite or my Ryobi lights in a long time. It is always in my pocket and I've used it for vehicle repairs, walking the dog, late night latrine visits, checking cables in basements, just about whatever comes up.

Only 3.5 inches long, has a nice little soft on-off switch on the end that you can just slightly depress for a quick temporary light, and a clip to hang it on your pocket. Great as a gift, even better to use yourself. I use mine several times every single day, seriously.

Wallygator

Adventurer
+2 for the Thrunite brand. The TN4 is great, it uses AA batts. Have a smaller and a larger one also than the TN4 both rechargeable and both have been nothing but solid. Cannot beat the price for what you get.

quickfarms

Adventurer
A surefire backup is in my pocket every day.

I also have several streamlight rechargeable LED flashlights

I do like my stinger in the shop

The microlight usb is great for traveling

The macrolight usb is about the same size as the backup, with twice the lumens

I also have a Pro Tac HPL usb which is really bright

My observation is that streamlights have more of a flood light beam and surefire has more of a spotlight beam

Thanks a lot guys, your advices are priceless! I am deeply touched by your attention. There is a need to make a decision soon. I heard that Thor is also a good and quality brand, but I haven't found it yet. Do you think I need to consume the one among many on this site or continue my search? Sorry for bothering you, but I have no doubts you are more experienced than me in this aspect. The price is out of the point for me. Have a nice evening!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles