LED flashlights that use regular batteries or rechargeable? (early 2017 edition)

zuren

Adventurer
I had a 2D LED MagLite in my van but I just discovered that 1 or more of the batteries leaked and they are now fused in. I did some Googling and this is not a unique problem; I found some ideas (as well as possibly being able to do a warranty return) but that does nothing to change my opinion that the flashlight is large, heavy, and didn't put out much light. Even if MagLite or the battery company warranties the damage, I won't replace it with the same model. I have a MagLite XL200 that uses 3-AAA batteries, fits in my pocket, and is brighter.

Since buying that big MagLite, we have had the LED/tactical light EXPLOSION! Lights from $10 to $100s. I'm a bit overwhelmed so I'm trying to narrow my options. Here is what I do know:

- will live 100% of its life in the vehicle
- needs to run on "normal" size batteries or can be recharged from a 12V source; I'm not dealing with special, harder-to-find batteries like CR123
- will be used for camping, hunting, fishing, and road emergencies
- ability to mount it in the vehicle would be nice but not critical
- budget is $50 or less, it could stretch a little if it gets me something significantly better

There is another forum of flashlight enthusiasts but was hoping to get some recommendations here. The ThruNite TN4A looks interesting, along with Fenix. What brands/models has everyone had good luck with?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
You need both. D batt flashlight for emergencies (replace batteries once a year ish). And a good rechargeable that you use more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Most of my flashlights run on AAs now, but I have a few rechargeables from Pelican and Optolight. I have some of the Costco Duracells and they are great as knock-around lights. My preferred AA lights are from Coast and Fenix. The battery leakage problem in MagLights is common and is not covered by warranty, per my call to Mag. I have a drawer full of Mags that have leaked. I kept them for parts, but since I'm not buying Mags any more, I'll probably just dump them. I used to be very impressed with Surefires running on CR123 batteries, but I gave up on those because I never had batteries around when I needed them. AAs are everywhere.

zuren

Adventurer
Most of my flashlights run on AAs now, but I have a few rechargeables from Pelican and Optolight. I have some of the Costco Duracells and they are great as knock-around lights. My preferred AA lights are from Coast and Fenix. The battery leakage problem in MagLights is common and is not covered by warranty, per my call to Mag. I have a drawer full of Mags that have leaked. I kept them for parts, but since I'm not buying Mags any more, I'll probably just dump them. I used to be very impressed with Surefires running on CR123 batteries, but I gave up on those because I never had batteries around when I needed them. AAs are everywhere.

Did you get the batteries out, or are they still in the flashlight tube? I just read that MagLite won't help but a call to the battery manufacturer might. My only problem is that I don't remember what brand battery I put in. One suggestion I read is to soak in vinegar and see if that breaks down the leaked material. If that fails to free them, someone recommended to take a long, self-tapping screw connected to a chain and drill that into the bottom battery. Then yank it out that way.

You need both. D batt flashlight for emergencies (replace batteries once a year ish). And a good rechargeable that you use more often.

I'm hoping you could expand on your comment.

Here is where I'm getting I'm hung up on the utility of the Mag D cell lights:

2D cell MagLite LED - http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights/maglite-2-cell-d-led-flashlight.html

3AAA MagLite XL50 LED - http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights/compact-flashlights/maglite-xl50-led-3-cell-aaa-flashlight.html

Comparing those 2 lights, the small light won't shine as far (limitation of the smaller reflector) and won't stand on end, but is brighter, smaller, and runs much longer.

I always thought the big D cell MagLite would be handy if I ever had to break a window or protect myself. However, there are plenty of videos showing that there are better options to break a car window than a MagLite so I guess my thinking was naive/misguided. It does have utility as a club for self defense, if needed, but again, I have other items in the van I would go for first. And MagLites like to roll unless you have that hexagonal accessory piece.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Got one of these for my birthday:

https://m.fasttech.com/product/1278401-uinfire-b68-cree-xp-e-r2-240-lumen-3-mode-zooming

And I have to say I'm impressed (an I'm not easily impressed).

Single AA. I have a bunch of AA stuff and a bunch of rechargable AAs. This came with an alkaline AA that got killed when I loaned it out. They replaced it with a Radio Shack alkaline that months later is still going strong (and I use this thing a lot). So no idea yet of how long it'll run from a battery. Long time.

Adjustable focus. On wide it's an area light that's almost too bright. On narrow it'll punch down a dark alley half a city block.

Belt clip, fits in a pocket, all kinds of machine work for a non-slip grip.

Love it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Got one of these for my birthday:

https://m.fasttech.com/product/1278401-uinfire-b68-cree-xp-e-r2-240-lumen-3-mode-zooming

And I have to say I'm impressed (an I'm not easily impressed).

Single AA. I have a bunch of AA stuff and a bunch of rechargable AAs. This came with an alkaline AA that got killed when I loaned it out. They replaced it with a Radio Shack alkaline that months later is still going strong (and I use this thing a lot). So no idea yet of how long it'll run from a battery. Long time.

Adjustable focus. On wide it's an area light that's almost too bright. On narrow it'll punch down a dark alley half a city block.

Belt clip, fits in a pocket, all kinds of machine work for a non-slip grip.

Love it.
240 lm from a single AA? That is impressive. Compact and neat. Cheap too. Rare... ...discontinued.... :(

outback97

Adventurer
I have a larger 3C flashlight in the truck. But my headlamps are the ones that actually get used. They are just much more useful than a handheld flashlight for almost any task, except clobberin' I suppose.

I have had good luck with Black Diamond headlamps
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/search?cgid=lighting

and also like these Coast lights my wife got for me for Christmas.
https://www.costco.com/Coast-FL72-Headlamp,-2-pack.product.100333882.html

These are compact enough to fit almost anywhere; I have a BD that lives in the center console. It's so much more useful to have both hands free for whatever task you're trying to do.

I have a few of those single AA ones mentioned above and they are nice too. Just not as versatile IMO.

pluton

Adventurer
To the OP: If the batts that leaked were from a name company like Duracell or Energizer, they will reimburse you for a new flashlight. Save the damaged light, and the leaked batts, contact them. I've gotten several checks over the years from Duracell for the equipment destroyed by their *******ty leaking alkaline batts.
By the way, CR123s are not hard to find if you buy 20 of them (for $1 or $1.50 each) at a time. Then you have them, they have a long shelf life, you're covered.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
CR123s are not hard to find if you buy 20 of them (for $1 or $1.50 each) at a time. Then you have them, they have a long shelf life, you're covered.
I used to buy them by the dozen, still never had them with me when I needed them.

240 lm from a single AA?
I just got some single AA lights from Amazon, claim 500lm, with hi-lo-strobe, and sliding focus. Don't know if they are really 500lm, but they are bright. Four of them were less than $10 total, delivered from China.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Did you get the batteries out, or are they still in the flashlight tube? I just read that MagLite won't help but a call to the battery manufacturer might. My only problem is that I don't remember what brand battery I put in. One suggestion I read is to soak in vinegar and see if that breaks down the leaked material. If that fails to free them, someone recommended to take a long, self-tapping screw connected to a chain and drill that into the bottom battery. Then yank it out that way.
Mine are fused into the aluminum tube. I might try driving them out with a dowel and a BFH. Or not.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Dunno if thats possible on MagLites. Is it possible to get both ends of its batterytube open ?

I asked them about that back in the mid 80's. They told me the trick. You pop out the rubber cover over the switch and there is an allen screw that holds the works at the head end from falling out.

Then yea, drive the bad batteries out of the tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior