LED Campfire?

mezmochill

Is outside
Brilliant !
But stupid as its a single use thing. Better solution is at least 3 flatscreen TVs and campfire video. The scene can be changed including sound effects to enhance & suit the ’Expo environment.

Now run generator to simulate campfire.

This kind of BS is seldom seen on ExPo. Grow up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is CORRECT!!
Everyone MUST realize NO humor, and I Mean NONE!!!!1!1!! is ALLOWED in THIS thread!!1!1!

!!!

!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Brilliant !
But stupid as its a single use thing. Better solution is at least 3 flatscreen TVs and campfire video. The scene can be changed including sound effects to enhance & suit the ’Expo environment.

Now run generator to simulate campfire.

This kind of BS is seldom seen on ExPo. Grow up!

That is CORRECT!!
Everyone MUST realize NO humor, and I Mean NONE!!!!1!1!! is ALLOWED in THIS thread!!1!1!

!!!

!

Wow, your anger shines through.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
The usual wording is “no open flame”. So does a flame in a globe qualify as not open? My biggest concern with any lantern being the risk of knocking it over and causing a fire.
Yeah, mine is always dangled from a hook, rod, branch, or corner of the RTT. But the oil they burn isn't explosive or violent like whitegas or propane and wouldn't be any more dangerous than an open fire in a fire pit.
Obviously whatever is under the lantern makes a big difference but nobody is going to be making their "firepit" on a bed of hay next to a building. I think if you kick over an oil lantern in the middle of a dirt camp site you won't have any issues. In fact I might actually do some experimental testing with a cheap $20 walmart special... for science.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The usual wording is “no open flame”. So does a flame in a globe qualify as not open? My biggest concern with any lantern being the risk of knocking it over and causing a fire.
Yeah, mine is always dangled from a hook, rod, branch, or corner of the RTT. But the oil they burn isn't explosive or violent like whitegas or propane and wouldn't be any more dangerous than an open fire in a fire pit.
Obviously whatever is under the lantern makes a big difference but nobody is going to be making their "firepit" on a bed of hay next to a building. I think if you kick over an oil lantern in the middle of a dirt camp site you won't have any issues. In fact I might actually do some experimental testing with a cheap $20 walmart special... for science.

The question was wether or not a lantern is considered an open flame. I posted above that it is not in the opinion of a ranger I asked yesterday.

I learned something interesting from him also. If a county declares no open fires, as Delta County has here, that does not affect federal land within that county. Each federal agency makes that decision independent of county, city or any other local jurisdiction.

Ace

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I stopped using an oil lantern after knocking it over several times, having it leak in my vehicle, and having a raccoon knock it over at night.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I stopped using an oil lantern after knocking it over several times, having it leak in my vehicle, and having a raccoon knock it over at night.

I used one for awhile but had some trouble like you and stopped using it. Not sure were it is now. I must have given it away.

I have a Snowpeak butane candle lantern that would be no different than a gas lantern. I often use it as a campfire substitute. I know some will laugh but after three or four beers it looks quite nice.

Ace

amish-heater.jpg

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
You know whats worse than an LED campfire? An entire state closing down to any and all camping , recreation, boating, fishing, biking, exploring, four wheeling, hiking, or breathing anywhere near a forest or anything that may resemble a forest or grassland due to the possibility of someone starting a fire.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
You know whats worse than an LED campfire? An entire state closing down to any and all camping , recreation, boating, fishing, biking, exploring, four wheeling, hiking, or breathing anywhere near a forest or anything that may resemble a forest or grassland due to the possibility of someone starting a fire.

I just heard that’s New Mexico. True?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader

I just heard that’s New Mexico. True?

Yup. Half the state getting pounded with rain at the moment too. The other half tomorrow. I’m super pissed because this screwed up my rafting plans on the Rio Chama. Closing the Santa Fe NF Including roads leading to BLM managed rivers. Makes perfect sense. Because the rafting kayaking community is such a threat. The logic of some of the government agencies that manage OUR land is mind boggling to me. Maybe we should close down Interstate 40 because there might be a drunk driver?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Agree, this whole closure thing is FUBAR. Hopefully the rain will fix a few things. We’re supposed to get significant rain here on the West Slope of Colorado but so far just some sprinkles. Rain dance.

mezmochill

Is outside
Yup. Half the state getting pounded with rain at the moment too. The other half tomorrow. I’m super pissed because this screwed up my rafting plans on the Rio Chama. Closing the Santa Fe NF Including roads leading to BLM managed rivers. Makes perfect sense. Because the rafting kayaking community is such a threat. The logic of some of the government agencies that manage OUR land is mind boggling to me. Maybe we should close down Interstate 40 because there might be a drunk driver?

This years drought is rather exceptional. What do the folks in Durango think of the closure?

The money spent fighting that fire is already way into the millions. Should we spend relentlessly, be preventative or just stop fighting the fires altogether.

National forest and BLM mandate is not really focused on recreation anyway.
Its about resource extraction.

We could changes those mandates, however I believe its trending towards strengthing the resource extraction mandates not weakening them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier