LED Bar install on the Xterra

Longrange308

Adventurer
I didn’t really take photos of the install of anything, I was too busy trying to get it done before a dinner appointment that I had. Sorry. It’s all pretty straight forward though. A multimeter is all you really need, beyond wire connectors (or solder if your anal like me) and some heat-shrink wrap.

Well, I did a bunch (for me) of wiring the other day on the X. First thing I did (and I know I might catch some flak for it) is convert the battery leads to something that is a bit more universal. I have a couple of these batteries (brand new, on battery tenders) laying around from old projects and ones still in the works. I also wanted a bit more flexibility for swapping in different batteries given whatever need. All connections are braised together and protected with heat shrink tubing. The connections are tight and safe, and the old positive lead is secured and unable to jostle around.
13925382675_3c9c83c768_b.jpg

Then I wired up a switch for my new light bars. I mounted a relay right near the battery (used a bolt from the fuse box) and ran a ground wire to an existing ground right next to the battery tray.
13925823814_3940811b24_b.jpg

I then ran the switch lead and light power wires behind the existing loom in the engine compartment and through the existing grommet (poked a small slit to slide the wires through)
13925373195_0bb8213318_b.jpg

13902260396_a19d4cc4d0_b.jpg

The Switch
13902264011_6da7ed004f_b.jpg

I then ran the wires up the A-Pillars and through a ½” hole I drilled in the roof. I used a 3/8th grommet and some RTV to seal it up.
13925828384_a974f7df64_b.jpg

The end result, 1 20” LED bar and 2 6” bars (TuffLED brand chinese bars, but decent quality and good customer service. Seriously affordable on Amazon as well) angled slightly outwards, mounted on an Xoskel lo-pro light bar..
13902262526_cbc85dd7cd_b.jpg

No-Lights
13925835614_1852f2f1a1_b.jpg

Off-Road Lights
13902274476_07e03fd7e3_b.jpg

13925838624_e67c30e874_b.jpg

Now I really can’t wait to get out on the trail and put them to work.

Last edited:

Longrange308

Adventurer
Looks good.

Maybe I missed it but are you using a fuse box?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

No. I will add a fuse box once I begin to add more lights and switched accessories (OBA, winch, fridge, etc). These lights are being run through an inline fuse right next to the battery between the power in and relay though.

Last edited:

richard310

pew pew
Looks good! I've been debating on adding an LED bar to the front bumper. How do you like the Tuffs? Is the QC at least halfway decent? Did it come with a harness/switch or did you get it separate?

When I last saw your truck drive by, I swear I thought i saw only one long bar. My eyes deceived me.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Looks good! I've been debating on adding an LED bar to the front bumper. How do you like the Tuffs? Is the QC at least halfway decent? Did it come with a harness/switch or did you get it separate?

When I last saw your truck drive by, I swear I thought i saw only one long bar. My eyes deceived me.

Tuff LED QC seems to be pretty decent honestly.. The beam pattern is good (3 spots) and the fit and finish leaves nothing to be desired IMO. The bars arent Rigid, but then again I didnt have to sell any limbs to afford them either..

They came with harnesses and switches, but I had to cannibalize them and add wire. I think they were designed to be used on a Razor or something as opposed to being run up a cars a-pillar to the roof. From the battery to the bumper though, you should have more than enough wiring with the supplied harness. I also substituted the Switch for a more interior friendly unit.

When you last saw it, you did only see one 20" bar.. I added the two 6" bars when I wired everything up.

richard310

pew pew
Tuff LED QC seems to be pretty decent honestly.. The beam pattern is good (3 spots) and the fit and finish leaves nothing to be desired IMO. The bars arent Rigid, but then again I didnt have to sell any limbs to afford them either..

They came with harnesses and switches, but I had to cannibalize them and add wire. I think they were designed to be used on a Razor or something as opposed to being run up a cars a-pillar to the roof. From the battery to the bumper though, you should have more than enough wiring with the supplied harness. I also substituted the Switch for a more interior friendly unit.

When you last saw it, you did only see one 20" bar.. I added the two 6" bars when I wired everything up.

So not a bad product then. I'll look into those guys in the future.
So it was a single bar. The added auxiliary lighting helps a lot and I enjoy it when I do get the chance to use it. Do you get a lot of interior glare at all considering they all sit above the windshield?

Longrange308

Adventurer
So not a bad product then. I'll look into those guys in the future.
So it was a single bar. The added auxiliary lighting helps a lot and I enjoy it when I do get the chance to use it. Do you get a lot of interior glare at all considering they all sit above the windshield?

No glare really.. But thats part of the reason why I went with spot beam patterns on all three..

http://youtu.be/du8mCYa3YNE

Kuma632

Observer
Thanks for the write up and especially for the pics.
I've got a 20in led light bar to wire up on our Frontier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles