LED Back Up Light Opinions

jerstw

Adventurer
Last night realized my stock Ram taillights / reverse lights leave a bit to be desired. I am planning to flush mount into my rear bumper (factory) whatever I end up with for additional backup lights. Wondering if the various versions online for sub-$50 USD in LED 4" rounds are good enough or if the performance of something like the Rigid SR-Q's are worth the investment ($260 USD). Keep in mind I live in a state that loves to spread salt and chemicals all over the roads in the winter time so these lights will be treated to this type of environment about 4 months out of the year.

Any real world user feedback is appreciated.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
look on my build in my sig...I also have a ram and added the led's as backup/worksite/camping/cap lights and at $19 for the SET they are awsome!!

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a bunch of Hella H3 halogens on the back of my Dodge. Two outboard lamps are euro low beam projector headlamps for backing up quickly on ditchbanks. Then I have a pair of oval work lamps (two H3s in each lamp body) for broad coverage both laterally and vertically to pick up tree branches and such. They are all 55W (6x55W total) and are pendant mounted under the rear bumper but above the receiver hitch, never dragged or been hit. They work exceedingly well but draw a lot of current and get hot when the truck is not moving.

My Tundra has a pair of Ridgid Dually D2s flushmounted into the bumper. These are the ones with the diffusing lens to create a wide and tall beam without a hot center. Cost is probably about the same as the current price for the Hella setup on the Dodge, installation is a lot easier (as long as you are willing to cut holes in your bumper), and the installation is a lot cleaner and probably less vulnerable to damage than the Hella setup. Having said that, the halogens on the Dodge work a whole lot better.

My old GMC has a pair of no-name halogen rectangular work lights mounted under the bumper. I think they are H3s, probably 55W but I have had 100W in them in the past. They are old and ugly and cheap and they work just fine when they don't have mud on them.

If I were re-doing the Dodge now, I'd probably go with LEDs, but would be strongly inclined to flushmount two lights on each side of the bumper (four lights total). The Dually D2s were the brightest I could find when I did the Tundra, but I'm not getting the kind of useful pattern I wanted or expected. The Hella halogens work better, but there are more of them.

GR8ADV

Explorer
LED's take little power and will likey outlive you. If those two things are important in your applicitation go for it.

v_man

Explorer
I've had these Amazon cheapos for about 3 years now, they're not in the bumper, but they put out a bunch of light. There's no way I'd spend $250 for reverse lights...

IMG_0966_zps4aba6f2f.jpg

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I too got ebay cheapos that claimed there were Cree $25 pair, probably not, but insanely bright anyways

& to show just how bright

hope that helps you out

jerstw

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the feedback and input! Going to check into some of the options mentioned above.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a set of flush mount ebay "rigid copies" for reverse lights. I don't have them installed yet. I did put them on a 9.6v drill battery just to fire them up in the night, and for reverse lights they will be great. Flush mounted in the bumper is awesome too.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im running some ebay 18watt units.

I like to SEE when Im backing up.
These certainly do the trick. :coffee:

chassis312.jpg

chassis313.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94