Leaving thin lite weight portable panels out in the rain?

Jman99

I like to set my panels up & leave them in place for up to a good few days at a time, just wondering if these new thin lite next gen panels are fine out in the rain or will the water get in & damage them? If anyone can say from experience that would be great.

Some examples:

cheers

john61ct

Adventurer
If there is any such problem, they are crap panels, that is a very basic requirement.

The proper heavy framed ones should be fine for many decades

the semiflex maybe average 3 years.

The folding blanket type maybe supposed to be taken in, the manual will say for the better ones.

dreadlocks

$500-$1000 for only 250W.. for that price they better survive an explosion, but what you get instead is something that is less durable and prone to damage..

for example, I got 650W of top of the line rigid solar for $700 and they got a 25y warranty not a 2y warranty.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Is this for real? $250w for $1000 and no controller? Suckers...

Not portable but I have 930w including controller for less than $1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman99

If there is any such problem, they are crap panels, that is a very basic requirement.

The proper heavy framed ones should be fine for many decades

the semiflex maybe average 3 years.

The folding blanket type maybe supposed to be taken in, the manual will say for the better ones.

Thanks, but if they were fine in the rain I would think the seller would mention that? Hard Korr brand do say theirs is fine in rain so that gives me hope. I can't get the manual until I buy it lol, the seller wont answer any questions.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Thanks, but if they were fine in the rain I would think the seller would mention that? Hard Korr brand do say theirs is fine in rain so that gives me hope. I can't get the manual until I buy it lol, the seller wont answer any questions.

No manual available online and unresponsive seller? Why are they even a consideration?

Jman99

$500-$1000 for only 250W.. for that price they better survive an explosion, but what you get instead is something that is less durable and prone to damage..

for example, I got 650W of top of the line rigid solar for $700 and they got a 25y warranty not a 2y warranty.
Ahh but how do you carry 4 of these panels? Glass & alloy are just too darn big.

Jman99

No manual available online and unresponsive seller? Why are they even a consideration?

Because I need some serious wattage in very compact size & in high voltage (long distance placement), these are the only panel I know of.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Because I need some serious wattage in very compact size & in high voltage (long distance placement), these are the only panel I know of.

Unresponsive seller is a hard no unless the product is seriously cheap. What happens if you need warranty assistance?

You might need to temper your expectation and revise your plan. Consider a 40a DC-DC charger from the truck as an alternative. That’s going to give you 3-4Xthe charge rate.

rruff

Explorer
Ahh but how do you carry 4 of these panels? Glass & alloy are just too darn big.

$320 for 300W, folding 17lb panels.

Shouldn't be tough to wire these or any other set of 12v panels for 24v. Most likely each piece is 12v and they are wired in parallel. Just series one pair and you have 24v.

That's what I plan to do anyway, but haven't done it yet.

dreadlocks

By the handles I installed on em.. they are 325W each so for 650W, only 2 are needed.
IMG_20200701_192007.jpg

If Glass/Alloy Panels are too big/large/unwieldy (they come all shapes/sizes), then you should just forget about solar and find an alternate charge source.. for the money of those piddly li l panels you could buy a big ass lithium battery that charges off your alternator in a couple hours or a generator.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
99.999% of panels are designed to be permanently mounted outdoors.

Would be like expecting a car's brochure to say "no problem using this vehicle on paved roads"

dreadlocks

yeah but the vehicle he's looking at folds up into a little box he can carry on his back, so its not that apparent..

one would expect for that kinda money a solar blanket would have all connections/diodes potted, wiring marine/tinned and the nylon or whatever fabric it is on is mold & UV resistant that dries quickly.. should have a high IP rating otherwise WTH.. the problem is mechanical stresses on the panels and supporting wiring w/out any kind of rigid support, bending wires back and forth are gonna fail sooner or later, bending the panels will be sooner.. I'd be more concerned about winds or storms tearing it up like a cheap tarp than rain so for that kinda money I cant see you wanting to leave it out in anything but ideal solar conditions.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Is this for real? $250w for $1000 and no controller? Suckers...

Not portable but I have 930w including controller for less than $1000.

My 200w portable panels were $900 and the controller has never left the storage bag since the camper has its own controller. Overpriced...I have no idea. All I know is they work and they don’t take up much room.

Jman99

one would expect for that kinda money a solar blanket would have all connections/diodes potted, wiring marine/tinned and the nylon or whatever fabric it is on is mold & UV resistant that dries quickly.. should have a high IP rating otherwise WTH.. the problem is mechanical stresses on the panels and supporting wiring w/out any kind of rigid support, bending wires back and forth are gonna fail sooner or later, bending the panels will be sooner.. I'd be more concerned about winds or storms tearing it up like a cheap tarp than rain so for that kinda money I cant see you wanting to leave it out in anything but ideal solar conditions.

One expensive slim panel I have uses generic standard copper wire
By the handles I installed on em.. they are 325W each so for 650W, only 2 are needed.
View attachment 596185

If Glass/Alloy Panels are too big/large/unwieldy (they come all shapes/sizes), then you should just forget about solar and find an alternate charge source.. for the money of those piddly li l panels you could buy a big ass lithium battery that charges off your alternator in a couple hours or a generator.
Not gonna work, I do have a generator & 40amps from alternator but at times when base camped for days I need a large array to feed my hungry lithium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior