LEAST aggressive "off road" tires used ? Full size E rated Michelin M/S 2 ?

Jwestpro

Explorer
With regard to my negative comments about the MS2 and winter duty....

Per the title of this thread, all vehicles were full size, heavy pickups running Load E MS2 treads
And all were running pickup campers. So they were not empty trucks.

Although I do have a brother down in...

Fresh snowfall on frozen ground is not a problem even with all season car tires.

Compacted and polished snow and ice during weeks of freeze/thaw IS an issue. And the exact reason why I refuse to run the MS2.

You're right, the "polished" hard pack is a much more serious surface situation and I'd have to agree from my experience with this M/S2 and it's cousin, their LTX Winter, more "bite" is very desirable. The LTX Winter looks identical to the M/S 2 but the compound is different specifically made for winter. However, if I lived in northern Idaho, or Montana, or where I grew up in Duluth MN, this thread would be titled "pure snow tire experience/opinions".

As such, I probably should have been more specific that this AT thread is for summer or shoulder season where even in your area, snow is either unlikely or simply fresh and not transformed at all. I wouldn't say that a more aggressive AT tire would be any better though on the true "polished" crap either though. I've been on that stuff in northern MN when the temps for a month are never over 0F and no AT you choooce will fair any better than the MS2.

Jwestpro

Explorer
No matter what the thread title is, if it concerns tires, we get everyone suggesting aggressive MT and AT tires. I think the original poster was mentioning specifically "least aggressive" tires.

Some other less aggressive tires to consider would be the Nokian WRG3 SUV, Goodyear SR-A or the Firestone Destination LE2. The Michelin LTX A/T 2 is also a good mild offroad tire.

Yes, I find it pretty entertaining as if some people, like me on occasion, missed a key word in an OP title. "LEAST" being the key word in this one ;) I have used both the BFG AT KO and BFG MT in the winter on my Disco 1 as well as their old "XPC 4x4", the BFG AT KO1 on my Disoc 2, and on my LR# the following: Nitto Terra Grappler, BFG AT KO1 and after wearing out a set, the KO2 with one season on the Goodyear Duratrac in between.

While the Nokian WRG3 is a great tire overall, it is NOT an E load and that is required for this thread topic.
There isn't a Goodyear I'd consider after having tried out the Duratrac which seemed to have sidewalls too flexible.

I never looked at the Michelin A/T2.

Back to Nokian, their Rotiiva looks great really, a step back from the BFG AT KO2 in tread but looks like it would be incredible overall.

For winter my first choice would simply be the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2: http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt2/false/
I read somewhere it's also available stud-less.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Having said that, an AT tire with superb all condition handling, excellent road manners, low road noise and possibly a more aggressive look doesn't mean you shouldn't consider them? The Hankook is the top rated AT tire in consumer reports, Ford is now using them as their OEM tires on the F150.

Yeah, that Hankook does look interesting.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
2 years on them, very happy and would buy again. These are 265/70/17 in a light truck load range, D if I recall and on my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am certain that the LT or E Rated would be a similar experience.

Another interesting tire is the Goodyear Silent Armour. They are prohibitively expensive here, but are supposed to be an excellent all around tire. They are leaning on the more aggressive side again possibly, but are still a competent AT.

Anyone have experience with the Falken Wild Peak AT? Nice looking, not too "chunky" and supposedly a good tire (no personal experience however). They look like an amazing road tire, and I believe are available in E load range too.

:coffeedrink:

Jwestpro

Explorer
And worth every penny.

Also, even in the LT Load E, the toyo has a unheard of treadwear warranty.

Thanks for posting the photo. I think such shots of the tire someone is blessing ads a lot to the discussion. I've never been one to penny pinch on tires so good to hear you find those well worth the cost.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I had the hankooks and they lasted a long time. Great tire. Goodyear SR-A. CRAP. worst tire I have owned. Michelin LTX on my super duty worked great for on highway. I am the type of person who will take a 1-2mpg hit for more grip everywhere else. That's all that there is really. unless you have a larger tire. But going from the stock SR-A crap on my JK unlimited to the 285 BFGs I lost 1 maybe 2 mpg on the highway. that's it.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Anyone have experience with the Falken Wild Peak AT? Nice looking, not too "chunky" and supposedly a good tire (no personal experience however). They look like an amazing road tire, and I believe are available in E load range too.

I bought a set of these for my new (to me) Ford Expedition about a month ago (305/65-18). They are great on highway, quiet, like, not much different from my Audi quiet. I don't know how they will work off-road yet as the truck isn't ready to be beat on yet. I won't know about snow performance as this truck will not be winter driven. In the little bit of wet weather I've driven in they seem better than the Duratracs on my XJ (265/75-16) but they are not heavily siped so I am not expecting super performance in the wet or ice. I'll know better as I gain experience with them.

Everyone likes pictures:

Exp_drvr_qrtr.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Thanks for posting the photo. I think such shots of the tire someone is blessing ads a lot to the discussion. I've never been one to penny pinch on tires so good to hear you find those well worth the cost.

Yes sir... and to oblige, here is a pic of my tires.

I bought a set of these for my new (to me) Ford Expedition about a month ago (305/65-18). They are great on highway, quiet, like, not much different from my Audi quiet. I don't know how they will work off-road yet as the truck isn't ready to be beat on yet. I won't know about snow performance as this truck will not be winter driven. In the little bit of wet weather I've driven in they seem better than the Duratracs on my XJ (265/75-16) but they are not heavily siped so I am not expecting super performance in the wet or ice. I'll know better as I gain experience with them.

Everyone likes pictures:

Indeed! I always thought they looked good, and grippy. Interested to hear how they work out.

Jwestpro

Explorer
In the little bit of wet weather I've driven in they seem better than the Duratracs on my XJ (265/75-16) but they are not heavily siped so I am not expecting super performance in the wet or ice.

Here in WA state the tire shops have a sipe machine to add more to tires when needed. I had this done with both previous sets of BFG AT and it seemed to really help having tried them on snow first without and then after sipes added. Mainly it seems to help with braking but it must also help with lateral traction.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
How about the cooper at/3? Been hearing they're a very well mannered street tire but good on ice and off road

This will be our 3rd winter using the AT3's in 235/85r16 under my 95 Chevy diesel long bed and they are superior to the KO's in the snow and ice without a doubt, I abuse the truck a bit during hunting season and the tires are great on mild trails. They are very quiet and are wearing well.

Highway Camper

I know this thread has been sleeping a while. But now there is a new Michelin tire called Defender that I am thinking of putting on my '14 Ram 2500 4x4 in size 295-70-18 . A good looking tire with the expected great reviews as expected. To be used on desert when off road. No big rocks, mudbogs, or deep snow. Like it that they are silent in the highway. 2nd choice is the Toyo AT2's in the same size. Will be doing this very soon and just wondering.

drewactual

Adventurer
the toyo's are fine tires... everything about them... except availability, and often times the price due to availability... I can never find the size I want when I'm looking...

don't rule out Yoko Geolander AT/S... they're a good tire that carries the load index (123) but lacks weight (rotational weight)... they only go as high as D ply, and the sidewall is a lot thinner than I would like on an offroad tire, but the rolling resistance is good/great for a highway and part-time off road tire, and they are great in rain wet or moderate snow roads.

I have a set of these on 5 wheels, and another set of Coop ST plus's which I've ran now for 12k miles... I lost two and a half MPG with the coop's... they're silly heavy but solid as a rock, and those sidewalls aren't tearing easily.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I haven't read the entire thread, but I thought I'd share my experience.

I've had MS2's on my Tacoma for over a year now and I can't wait' to replace them. As others have said, they don't do well in the snow. Even on a wet pavement. There's a stop sign at the top of a hill on a street I drive all the time. If it's been raining, I usually spin trying to take off from it.

On dry highways, they do just fine (and wear like iron!) but that's just not good enough for my needs.

SlinginIron

Skip the Toyo AT2. The company I work for uses a local tire company and that tire is used almost exclusively. I only drive 20,000 miles per year or less but, 40% of that is gravel. I used to be able to get about 30,000 miles out of a set of the AT2s but, my last set made it 15,000 mi and this set is junk at 13,000. (2013 F-150 light to moderate load, side-mount tool box, and four-wheeler for 4 mo. a year) Just yesterday I got a puncture repaired and told the manager I am really displeased with this tire and he explained that Toyo "updated" this tire a couple of years ago and they are not handling the gravel very well. If you are really wanting a toyo tire, I would recommend an M-55 but, sizes are limited and they are a really "hard tire" like the AT2, as in, they will help you to feel every bump. I am not even paying for the tires (in this situation) and I am done with the Toyos. To the OP, I was seriously impressed with the longevity of the BFG Rugged ridge tire that my wife had on her Explorer, 70,000 miles on one set of tires with decent ride quality.

Highway Camper

I don't want a stiff tire as I want it to ride good on washboard dirt roads. I am going up on size to the 295's for rim and height and just a little more float on sand when I air down. The Defenders are Michelin's latest all purpose tire with the exception of deep mud and snow. It's probably a better highway tire than off road but the highway is where I spend most of my time pulling my travel trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior