LEAST aggressive "off road" tires used ? Full size E rated Michelin M/S 2 ?

Wilbah

Adventurer
Its funny/odd to see the negative reviews of the Michelin and specific comments about snow. And I am not arguing their perspective, just that its totally different from my own experience. I totally believe they had the issues they described.

I first got a pair for a GMC Jimmy IIRC in the mid 90's? Maybe 95 or so? We had a lot of snow and I had just gotten a hottub....I had loaded the hottub on the trailer and brought it home....wasn't sure how to get it out in the back yard so decided to see if I could just drive there (I did have a buddy close by with a 3/4 ton 4x4 if I got stuck)....I went through the two to three foot snowbank at the road....down across the yard....out behind the house....all in about 18 inches of snow (powdery snow but snow nonetheless)...pulling the hottub on the trailer. I stopped.....backed the trailer up to the patio and unloaded the hot tub and then drove right back out....never once getting stuck, spinning tires or anything. I was hooked on them from that moment on.

I am now on probably my 3rd set on my Yukon. I have used them in the San Juans in CO (not serious rock crawling but certainly rocky trails) as well as logging roads in Maine where there are lots of sharp rocks....the key is just keep the speed down to prevent flats I find. In all those times (I think I have had 5 sets now?) I got stuck once 2 years ago when I tried to blast my way out of the driveway and through the 3-4 foot drift the plow left at the end of my driveway...couldn't make it. Ha! I have had one flat when I picked up a lag bolt. Plugged it and was good to go. So I am a fan. Again, I am not arguing with the folks who don't like them but I have had great results.

Clutch

<---Pass
Have two sets of wheel/tires.

Cooper A/TW for daily-general-snow use.

Cooper STT's if I am heading out into the boonies.

twiisted71

Adventurer
I put 40K on my 2001 7.3 diesel Excursion with a set of Goodyear Duratracs. They still had well over 50% (I'd probably say 70% but many would cry BS). It was a 2wd and saw mainly trip duty, but those were the best wearing tires I've ever had on a heavy vehicle. I just sold the Excursion and bought an E350 van. It WILL have Duratracs installed once the Michelins its wearing now wear out.
They were quiet, good traction off road, great road manners, and did I mention the wear (or lack there of)!!!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Its funny/odd to see the negative reviews of the Michelin and specific comments about snow. And I am not arguing their perspective, just that its totally different from my own experience. I totally believe they had the issues they described.

It would be interesting to have a test with the M/S 2 in different widths on different weights of vehicles. I would guess that some people with the poor traction experiences could have had a wider tire and/or on a lighter vehicle, meaning a pick-up with no weight loaded or lighter suv. By "light", I do mean 6000 lb suv but empty and possibly on a tire too wide for good ground pressure - which equates to traction.

I wide but aggressive tread will grab more snow or mud or gravel simply due to the tread design as compared to something like the M/S 2 in same width. Somewhere there would be a crossover of traction results in all but the worst deep mud or snow situations. For example, a 285/60x18 vs 265/65x18 is about a 1" width difference even though the diameter is practically equal. Being 10.5 - 11.5 ", this is by loose math, a 10% difference in ground pressure.

To go even further, comparing 305/60x18 32.6" tire vs 33" 255/80x17 would make a huge difference in resulting traction from ground pressure. For sand and loose things, the narrower tire will actually perform better due to less frontal resistance when aired down for sand.

I suspect that sometimes, maybe not all, these factors can certainly play into a person's experience with a tire thus tainting the results posted on surveys.

Using these concepts, I've actually considered the 265/70x18 vs my current 275/65x18 next time around.

Similar to the M/S 2 this new Nokian Rotiiva HT is very interesting. A few LT sizes too:
http://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-rotiiva-ht/

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Have two sets of wheel/tires.

Cooper A/TW for daily-general-snow use.

Cooper STT's if I am heading out into the boonies.

With the STT, what were the main reasons for choosing it over some of the other MT options ?

When I put together an MT set for my Land Rover, it'll be the BFG KM2 in 255/80x17 which is 33" but obviously narrow. The Cooper STT doesn't really have an ideal fitting size in 17" and neither of the 18 are narrow enough to fit the fenders during articulation though they would look killer for sure ;)

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
With the STT, what were the main reasons for choosing it over some of the other MT options ?

I have had Goodyear's and BFG's in the past, wanted to try something different. I like the Coops best so far. It is the old style of the STT (just so you know)

Last edited:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I have a set of Wild Country TXR tires from Les Schwab of all places. They're a 10 ply severe service tire and ride pretty well for such a stiff tire. The tread is not a loud pattern and has good traction for the forest service roads I frequent. I don't know if they still make this tire, but it always had good reviews online.

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
I have used the Michelin LTX M/S 2 in 225/75/16 E rated on my Lazy Daze class C. RV for a long time.
They have been very good in this application. Long life, quiet, nice road manners and common enough to
find in many places.
I've been down many a forest service road, caught in a few muddy conditions and as well as some snow.
Nothing major but they kept me going all the time.
I think the weight of the rig had something to do with better traction in mud and snow for the short duration of time needed.

Not the cheapest choice but so far I'm happy.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I didn't read through every post, but have you considered the Hankook ATm RF-10 in a lode range E? I have the MT on my Jeep XJ and the AT on my Jeep WK, and both are excellent tires. So good in fact that we run Hankook on every vehicle we own. They are the Consumer Reports top rated AT tire, and are an excellent overall on and off-road package.

http://www.hankooktire.com/global/light-trucks-tires/hankook-dynapro-at-m-rf10.html

While they do have a chunky look to them, and very deep lugs, they are quiet on the highway and are fantastic in the rain and wet with lots of sipes and good water evacuation. Driving through a torrential downpour recently towing out 23' travel trailer we hit about 3/4" of standing water at speed, and the tires were excellent...almost zero hydroplaning.

Just a thought.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Curious what the vehicle was?

My own experience is almost the entire opposite, on my Explorer, this is almost the best all purpose street tire ever. Very good wet traction, dry traction, tracking (doesn't follow the road), and as good as any non snowflake rated tire on light snow.

For mild off road, it's probably better than any stock tire on late LR3/4 and RR/RRS. Stock Rover tires must be high speed rated to keep up with the modern Rover's outrageous speeds (by truck standard). Hence they're all V+ rated sports truck tires.

Of course, in deep snow and mud it's useless, but that's never the intended application. Likewise, on road it won't hold a candle to performance tarmac tires, but again, not the intended purpose.

With regard to my negative comments about the MS2 and winter duty....

Per the title of this thread, all vehicles were full size, heavy pickups running Load E MS2 treads
And all were running pickup campers. So they were not empty trucks.

Although I do have a brother down in Tahoe area with a AWD Landcruiser. Same claims with regard to slick road traction. Dangerous.

Keep in mind, our winter duty is FAR worse than most. And our camping season is year round, unlike most. Our camper is a ski/snowshoe hut all winter.
I look at the location of most of the members that have posted int his thread with regard to winter / snow usage and I kind of have to chuckle.

Our winter duty is full time. Not just when we encounter it on a pass or during your trip to the snow. Once winter hits here, you are in it, 100% of the time.

This is why from the beginning I was very specific to SLICK road situations, not general snow usage, and not even off-road.

Fresh snowfall on frozen ground is not a problem even with all season car tires.

Compacted and polished snow and ice during weeks of freeze/thaw IS an issue. And the exact reason why I refuse to run the MS2.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I priced the Toyos and couldn't justify the cost difference. Les Schwab wanted $1400 for a set of Toyo AT2 Extreme (285/75/17 E) :Wow1:

And worth every penny.

Also, even in the LT Load E, the toyo has a unheard of treadwear warranty.

chassis309.jpg

fike

Adventurer
No matter what the thread title is, if it concerns tires, we get everyone suggesting aggressive MT and AT tires. I think the original poster was mentioning specifically "least aggressive" tires.

Some other less aggressive tires to consider would be the Nokian WRG3 SUV, Goodyear SR-A or the Firestone Destination LE2. The Michelin LTX A/T 2 is also a good mild offroad tire.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No matter what the thread title is, if it concerns tires, we get everyone suggesting aggressive MT and AT tires.

Oh I know.... every single time.

Just like the MPG thread in the VAN forum that has every sam ******** and sally posting MPGs in there even when they dont even own a van lol

Ive said my piece. And with regards to a load E for a heavy rig, regardless of the terrain or season, the Toyo AT2 has my vote.
Its highway manners are better than even the Transforce HT Ive had in the past. The least aggressive of all of them, and a HIGHWAY tire.

Ive had a LOT of tires on my pickups throughout the years, and this is by far the best tire Ive ever had. Period.

smlobx

Wanderer
I have been an avid LTX M/S fan for the past 20 years and have used them in most of out construction vehicles from 2wd Rangers to GMC Denali's and various Super Duties (F-250/350's)

They are the only tire that I have tried that doesn't seem to get a flat every six months...
As far as traction most of my driving is on paved roads and in that respect they are very good. If the truth be told I have gotten stuck several times in slick conditions.

For my expo build I think I'll try the BFG's but for the OP I would suggest you consider the Michelin AT's...

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Less aggressive AT tires to one person may be VERY aggressive tires to another person. Everything is relative and based on personal taste, opinion, personal price comfort etc. Yeah, agreed MT's are probably not what you are looking for.

Having said that, an AT tire with superb all condition handling, excellent road manners, low road noise and possibly a more aggressive look doesn't mean you shouldn't consider them? The Hankook is the top rated AT tire in consumer reports, Ford is now using them as their OEM tires on the F150. Those Toyo's are also reportedly an excellent all around choice with a good warranty as well.

So many tire options out there in the AT class, it will be hard to make a decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94