Learn me about the 6.9/7.3 idi motors

bdog1

Adventurer
Owned a 6.9 w/4 T19B back in the day. Ran well. 18mpg on 35’s

Just sold a 7.3 w/ E4OD on 33’s 16~17 mpg.

If your not in a hurry just enjoy it for what it is. Spend that turbo money on an epic trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Slow and smoky describes the 6.9.
My BIL's got one and it's a toad. If you go with the 7.3 try and get the solid front axle over the TTB one. My '86 F-250/460 had the TTB and handling wasn't it's virtue. Constant correction.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I've had two, an 84 6.9 with a c6 auto, no overdrive and 4.10 gears. slow,gutless with the auto trans. Later I had a 93 7.3 with the 5 speed, much better but still really lost power in the mountains. Both were reliable and cheap to maintain. I agree with you on the prices of trucks with a powerstroke, everybody thinks they are gold. 99-02 beaters with high miles for 7,000-14,000. All I see with a high miles beater is dollar signs to maintain and repair.
I'm actually thinking about doing something similar, an f250 or 350 with a camper but have been looking at either a 460 or a v10.

Ha! I was just looking at pictures last night of your white truck with the Uhaul camper in the full-size Ford section. Two years ago, I could buy a really, really nice Cummins Dodge or older Powerstroke for ~$7.5k. Those same trucks now are asking $10k+ and they're older and have more miles.

This truck is an 87, but owner claims it's a 7.3. If it's a 6.9 I'll pass. I know they have the thicker cylinder walls, but the 7.3's were apparently just a much beta motor out of the box. Can't find a F350 around here unless it's a CC or dually. I used to spot RCLB's all the time and now, poof, they're gone.

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Owned a 6.9 w/4 T19B back in the day. Ran well. 18mpg on 35’s

Just sold a 7.3 w/ E4OD on 33’s 16~17 mpg.

If your not in a hurry just enjoy it for what it is. Spend that turbo money on an epic trip.

No hurry at all. The turbo is just a thing I'd put on the wish list. I'd focus on maintenance and other upgrades first and like you said, just enjoy traveling on some epic trips for a while.

Slow and smoky describes the 6.9.
My BIL's got one and it's a toad. If you go with the 7.3 try and get the solid front axle over the TTB one. My '86 F-250/460 had the TTB and handling wasn't it's virtue. Constant correction.

I've never seen a 250 w/solid axles up front in the 87-91 vintage. Can't find a RCLB 350 anymore around here. I know that in this era of trucks, Ford built F250/350 HD trucks in Brazil that were imported to the US. Never seen one for sale listed as the HD model, but I do wonder if those 250's had the solid front axle? As for the TTB, I'll take it, they're not perfect, but I know there are ways to make them better.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Here's the truck and the post info. It looks like the ad was updated, says it's an '88 model, not '87. Now I feel comfortable that it is definitely the 7.3L motor.

1988 Ford F250 4x4 ~ One Owner Truck!
- Diesel
- 7.3 Liter engine
- 5 speed
- Manual Transmission
- 8 cylinders
- NEVER been wrecked!

Excellent Hunting & Fishing rig
Hit the backroads with ease, dial the hubs in for those tricky trails or slippery boat launches..
Custom made "brush-busting" Grill
Canopy
CB
220K Miles

Attachments

• 88 F250-4.jpg
    88 F250-4.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 88 F250-3.jpg
    88 F250-3.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 88 F250-2.jpg
    88 F250-2.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 88 F250-1.jpg
    88 F250-1.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 22

UHAULER

Explorer
Ha! I was just looking at pictures last night of your white truck with the Uhaul camper in the full-size Ford section. Two years ago, I could buy a really, really nice Cummins Dodge or older Powerstroke for ~$7.5k. Those same trucks now are asking $10k+ and they're older and have more miles.

This truck is an 87, but owner claims it's a 7.3. If it's a 6.9 I'll pass. I know they have the thicker cylinder walls, but the 7.3's were apparently just a much beta motor out of the box. Can't find a F350 around here unless it's a CC or dually. I used to spot RCLB's all the time and now, poof, they're gone.

I can't believe what people are asking for trucks now. I bought that 93 f250, 4wd, 7.3, 5 speed with 140,000 miles in 2008 for $1,800. The same truck today would be 4-5,000. There is a 94 7.3 idi turbo I've been looking at. It was listed at 8,000 about a month ago. Went and looked at it and offered 6,000 and now the price is down to 6,950, still to high for me.
https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/beautiful-classic-f350-xlt/6687392648.html

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Well, today I found a 93 Dodge 12valve locally. Owner selling due to buying an 07 Dodge with more room for family (wife's demand).

218k, extra-cab longbed, airbags front and rear, recent wheel bearings in front, front brake rotors, calipers, and pads, power windows still work, power door locks still work (pass. side is sticky), 4wd works but is a little difficult to engage (compared to my two toyotas), cruise control is broken, radio doesn't work, 4wd dash icon is disconnected (was staying on constantly), has a huge contractor canopy, custom front bumper with space for a winch and side "wings" for storing small tools and such, fog/driving lights (old, but actually work).

Drove pretty good, but the steering wheel seemed sloppy and it pulled to the right. Owner admitted it might need alignment. Not sure what to make of the sloppy steering. Guessing it's just worn out. Brakes didn't feel new either, but I'm comparing to my 2016 Tacoma. Tires have 28k (Cooper Discoverer A/T).

Was surprised at the way it drove. It would get up to speed very quickly, but didn't feel "fast". No death wobble, at least up to 70mph. Suspension felt fine and not as bouncy as I thought it'd be.

Owner wants $7,500. May have it inspected this week and make an offer. These don't come up for sale often here and not for this price anymore.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
That Dodge will make a good basic truck as that design is almost 50 years old!

Here is my daughter's loaded 1993 Dodge Cummins 2500 4WD that came from the original Iowa Farmer with 200K+ miles before the restoration. Good solid truck to start with that looked horrible due to bad original paint. Interior only required cleaning, a headliner and carpet. Mechanically the truck has always ran and drove great for a solid front axle 4WD. Runs 80 MPH no problem with nice tight steering!

Get a good one and you will be happy as these are now highly coveted trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
That Dodge will make a good basic truck as that design is almost 50 years old!

Here is my daughter's 1993 Dodge that came from a Iowa Farmer with 200K+ miles before the restoration. Good solid truck to start with that looked horrible due to bad original paint. Interior only required cleaning, a headliner and carpet. Mechanically the truck has always ran and drove very good for a solid front axle 4WD. Runs 80 MPH no problem with nice tight steering!

What had to be done to make the steering tight? Any recommendations on what to do to make the brakes work better?

Still gotta see if I can eve get the truck in for inspection first I guess. I have Tuesday and Wednesday and that's it. Then I'm out of town until the following week. Guess if it's meant to be and all that....

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
A Borgeson Steering Shaft upgrade will make a huge difference. Look for cracks in the front frame rail around the steering box. There are aftermarket steering box braces available from different vendors OR you can get from Jungle Jim front frame boxing plates and many other suspension goodies to make 1st Gen Dodge PU trucks ride, drive and perform GREAT off-road if that's your desire!

The Cross Over Steering upgrade also makes a huge difference if you have any lift at all.

As far as brakes the standard rebuilt stuff. New brake hoses, calipers, pads, wheel cylinders, shoes and make sure you turn the rear drums. Also make sure you have the correct master cylinder along with a properly functioning brake booster.

https://ramchargercentral.com/jungleshddodgecomponents/

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I owned a 7.3 idi, I didn't care for it all that much. It was slow, low on power, and had a huge turning radius. The Cummins is a far superior motor.

Also keep in mind that they are all non turbo'd unless you get one of the later model idi's with a turbo.

A truck from the early 90's is going to have an early 90's interior

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
A Borgeson Steering Shaft upgrade will make a huge difference. Look for cracks in the front frame rail around the steering box. There are aftermarket steering box braces available from different vendors OR you can get from Jungle Jim front frame boxing plates and many other suspension goodies to make 1st Gen Dodge PU trucks ride, drive and perform GREAT off-road if that's your desire!

The Cross Over Steering upgrade also makes a huge difference if you have any lift at all.

As far as brakes the standard rebuilt stuff. New brake hoses, calipers, pads, wheel cylinders, shoes and make sure you turn the rear drums. Also make sure you have the correct master cylinder along with a properly functioning brake booster.

https://ramchargercentral.com/jungleshddodgecomponents/

Looked at the Dodge on Sunday. Just posted up asking about the sellers price vs the condition of the truck - https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/pricing-on-a-1993-dodge-250-diesel.198516/

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I owned a 7.3 idi, I didn't care for it all that much. It was slow, low on power, and had a huge turning radius. The Cummins is a far superior motor.

Also keep in mind that they are all non turbo'd unless you get one of the later model idi's with a turbo.

A truck from the early 90's is going to have an early 90's interior

I actually prefer the older interiors - 87 to 91, but the 92 to 96 are nice too.

Everyone seems to agree on the slow and low power part. Simple engine though and there is a great resource for the motors not far from me outside Seattle. Someone posted about it in this thread. Got my eye on a Dodge at the moment, but the price may be the killer for me.

Darwin

Explorer
I would pay the extra for the Dodge. The idi is simple sure, but it's a V8 versus a straight 6, and I find the 12 valve to much more intuitive and easier to work on all around.

Clutch

<---Pass
If going slow isn't an issue and want decent fuel economy.

Have you considered a Ford gas 300 I6?

Might be getting hard to find now, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior