Leaking auxiliary fuel tank, 2004 FUSO FG to be camper, repair/replace thoughts and comments? 33 gallon tank

FGwannaB

The auxiliary diesel fuel tank on the passenger side of my 2004 FUSO FG is leaking. I have not found a replacement or someone to repair it. I am soliciting recommendations from experienced folks on this forum with regard to the following:
1. For those who have completed their FUSO conversions into campers, would you prefer an extra fuel tank or the extra space for under camper storage?
2. Replace it with a similar tank, which I have not been able to locate in the SE USA, not even Busbee's.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Much thanks!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
How long is a piece of string?

The amount of fuel you carry on the truck is determined by where you intend on taking it and what you want to do with it.
Here in Oz the general rule for 4 wheel driving is to have enough fuel to do 1000+ kilometres. That is because fuel can be difficult to get, or very expensive, in some areas of our country.

Personally, I dislike the cylindrical OEM Fuso tanks, as they are not efficient, space wise. Any tank off a small truck should work. Here many people swap out the Fuso tanks with Isuzu rectangular tanks.

Also... why can't you get your leaking tank repaired? Any professional welder should be able to fix it.

Last edited:

FGwannaB

SkiFreak/Kerry, Thanks for the input. I'll try some local welders. I have not identified exactly where the leak is coming from. It appears to be near or around where the metal straps hold the tank in place. There is some surface rust around the metal strapping at one location. i temporarily lack the space to work on the FUSO...had to move. With regard to "string length", I seriously doubt I'd ever have the truck further than 500k/300miles from a diesel source. It would be hard to accomplish that in the continental US, where I intend upon using the truck. I'll add some pics tomorrow evening. Cheers.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I’m in Tennessee if I can help. I own a fabrication shop. Leaking under the straps sounds like rust possibly.

FGwannaB

Replaced the leaky tank with a 50 gallon aluminum tank. Working fine now. Went from 2 tanks to the 1 aluminum tank. I don't anticipate being away from civilization more than 50 gallons worth. Also, removing the 2nd tank (which was about to also rust through) freed up space on the frame for a tool box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles