LC100/LX470 vs GX470 vs 4Runner Trail Edition (new)

Grundletaint

I have an LX470, my wife has a runner, and my parents have a GX.

we looked at the trail edition runner and it's pretty sweet. I like the body cladding and wheels a lot but hated the sliding cargo tray they all seem to come with. My thoughts were that unless you're REALLY gonna use the crawl control stuff (which is really noisy and kind of gimmicky), the limited is the way to go, which is what we got her. It has all the creature comforts you could want and you can turn the body into a trail pretty easily by replacing a few panels. I don't miss the offroad "autopilot" stuff the trail has and the limited can go the anywhere the trail can if you know what you're doing. I'd suggest an aftermarket suspension to tighten it up and compensate for the lack of KDSS, which actually is pretty nice.

The GX is cool and a really nice ride. My major gripe is the swinging hatch door because it causes more problems than anything as far as functionality (in my experience) and if the rear door setup of the runner were available I'd be all over it. With the other 2 vehicles you can just pop the window and toss stuff in, and that's a major bonus if you're backed up against something or, like us, use a hitch mounted bike rack.

For a small family with dogs, it really is hard to beat the 100 series. Plenty of cargo space and the hatch is super easy to work with one hand if you have a kid or a dog in the other. I love having a tailgate and the seat position suits me better than the other 2.

I've had a range rover in the past and they're awesome when they're working. Even with more reliable ones, keep in mind that if something does happen to go wrong somewhere, it's a hell of a lot easier to find someone who can work on a toyota/lexus.

Last edited:

dnorrell

Adventurer
Well, I think I've had a change of heart; I'll be keeping the '12 JK a bit longer and see if I can get rid of the nits it has been giving me. I want to give it some time and see what it does, try a long trip in it this summer. At least here in CO, the JK is #1 in resale value so I'm in no rush. And I am quite partial to Jeeps. They have never left me stranded, but a Rover has. I still love all the vehicles I've been stewing on, but there's plenty of time down the road to try them out :)

dubbaDYota

Observer
snip

we looked at the trail edition runner and it's pretty sweet. I like the body cladding and wheels a lot but hated the sliding cargo tray they all seem to come with. My thoughts were that unless you're REALLY gonna use the crawl control stuff (which is really noisy and kind of gimmicky), the limited is the way to go, which is what we got her. It has all the creature comforts you could want and you can turn the body into a trail pretty easily by replacing a few panels. I don't miss the offroad "autopilot" stuff the trail has and the limited can go the anywhere the trail can if you know what you're doing. I'd suggest an aftermarket suspension to tighten it up and compensate for the lack of KDSS, which actually is pretty nice.

snip

The Trail is available without the sliding cargo tray. i have it....and i agree i hate it lol. but it was hard enough finding a Trail so i wasnt going to let something as simple as the sliding cargo tray prevent me from buying it.

Gonna have to disagree....while the Limited is a nice vehicle and ATRAC is a proven performer....there is no way an ATRAC only vehicle will tackle the same terrarin as a RR Diff lock + ATRAC equipped vehicle.

Yes Crawl control is noisy, but it works and is great for times when i rather take pics/vids and i need my ( en-experienced) wife to drive. The Multi terrain select works great on the beach in 4H (without airing down) and on the rocks in 4L (the only two places ive tried it.) If 4L is needed i try to only use ATRAC unless i absolutely need to lock the rear. But with ATRAC + Rear Diff LOCK this thing is a mountain goat lol.

ETA the 5th Gen 4Runner is a great vehicle. W lift, tires, skids, sliders and winch i am still avg 20mpg at HWY speeds. it is comfortable, has plenty of cargo room and most importantly it is reliable. My Trail has about 22,xxx miles and i have had zero issues.

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
The Trail is available without the sliding cargo tray. i have it....and i agree i hate it lol. but it was hard enough finding a Trail so i wasnt going to let something as simple as the sliding cargo tray prevent me from buying it.

Gonna have to disagree....while the Limited is a nice vehicle and ATRAC is a proven performer....there is no way an ATRAC only vehicle will tackle the same terrarin as a RR Diff lock + ATRAC equipped vehicle.

Yes Crawl control is noisy, but it works and is great for times when i rather take pics/vids and i need my ( en-experienced) wife to drive. The Multi terrain select works great on the beach in 4H (without airing down) and on the rocks in 4L (the only two places ive tried it.) If 4L is needed i try to only use ATRAC unless i absolutely need to lock the rear. But with ATRAC + Rear Diff LOCK this thing is a mountain goat lol.

ETA the 5th Gen 4Runner is a great vehicle. W lift, tires, skids, sliders and winch i am still avg 20mpg at HWY speeds. it is comfortable, has plenty of cargo room and most importantly it is reliable. My Trail has about 22,xxx miles and i have had zero issues.

Pictures!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dubbaDYota

Observer
just installed the rear piggybacks last weekend. havent got a chance to do much off roading with them other then a dirt road for some high speed runs. gonna put the lower links on sometime this week.

28rplw8.jpg2012-09-18_17-52-37_780.jpg20120804_102524.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
dnorrell, there are a few of us on here with GX's, and love them. I came from a LC100 to the GX, and love the change. Smaller size, strong engine and extreme ride comfort have all been plusses. You will notice a difference in load space, as the GX is narrower obviously.
You are correct in there not being much aftermarket, but there is enough to get you going.
Shocks are all FJ Cruiser and 4-Runner compatible, so any of those work.
Skid plates from Asfir4x4 bolt right on (non-KDSS models only)
Ironman 4x4 snorkel, and bumper fit on (fender flares need some trimming for the bumper)
BajaRack will soon have a production rack fro the GX too, since i have been prototyping one for them for 6 months.
View attachment 135451
It now has new wheels with 33's on.
View attachment 135452
Is it everyone's cup of tea; probably not, but I'm really enjoying it!
Rou

I'll second that!

Also the ARB Sahara bolts right up with a little fender flare trimming. The GX does have a different hood line than the Prado, so some have had to space their bumpers out to fit properly. If you space the sahara chrome bar a bit, the hood will close without moving the bumper out. Just FYI.

Mine is a bit more mild as it sees higher speeds chasing rally cars through the woods. But it is pretty nice with OME Nitrocharger sports and 885 springs coupled with the factory air springs in the back. I really don't have any complaints other than the rear door can be a pain if you try and load something really long. My wife even DD's this rig 5 days a week (And loves it)

525532_836574516127_121101020_n.jpg

63183_836574685787_876845398_n.jpg

384842_836574705747_268614768_n.jpg

stonepa

Observer
How is the GX different than the latest Land Cruiser Prado? I see them all over in Iceland when I visit and every one is labeled a Land Cruiser. Seems to be huge aftermarket support over there. Lots of Ice Trucks made out of these things.

"...shame they aren't building the 5th gens with V8s."

Toyota does. They're sold in Lexus dealerships as the GX460.

At $54k, the GX460 is pricy, but it's loaded with off-road goodies. KDSS is standard, as is a two speed transfer case. The Full time AWD has a Torsen center locking differential. The GX460 has the same electronic traction controls as the Land Cruiser: Crawl Control, A-TRAC, Hill start assist, Hill descent assist. Air suspension is optional.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
How is the GX different than the latest Land Cruiser Prado? I see them all over in Iceland when I visit and every one is labeled a Land Cruiser. Seems to be huge aftermarket support over there. Lots of Ice Trucks made out of these things.

Prado either has a petrol V6 or the D4D diesel engine and an option for a manual. The GX is only available with a 4.7l V8 and 5spd auto also rear air springs. The front clip is different only in sheet metal so slight trimming is required for Prado bumpers. The rest of the truck is essentially the same minus the tire on the rear door. The suspension parts are the same as the Prado with the air springs in the back. The only tricky suspension stuff is with the KDSS options (mine doesn't have it).

And the GX will have the highest interior trim options. So no option for cloth or manual windows or anything like that. After having ours for a few years now, I can say that we are quite happy with it, even more so with the additions. With street tires it is quiet and well planted for road trips, and with the E-Load Duratracs it is quite capable even with the lack of a front or rear locker.

GX470_Prado

Observer
Pedro,

I know this is an old post but I recently picked up a used '07 GX470 and am looking at bumper options. I was wondering if I could Trim the Bumper instead of trimming the Fender Flares?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94