LC 78

ucs308

Observer
Background:

Currently fascinated with the compromise between comfort and size and practicality of “overland vehicles”, I started comparing the current Toyota and Land Rover options ( have also looked at larger trucks), but the shape leaves a lot of wasted space. So I started going back in time, Defender 110/130 and the earlier Land Crusiers. Ideally (eventually) I would like to pop-the-top and sleep in the roof vs having a house on the back, putting up a tent every stop, or using a pop-top tent. Most of the time it will be 2+1 people traveling, so I am also looking to be able to legally seat three people. The back will largely be storage, fridge, etc. Like my 4Runner today. But hopefully with more space.

Questions.

Looking at the Land Cruiser line it looks like the 78 was the last year that had doors in the rear that open left & right vs having a hatch. Do I have that right?

If looking for a LC ( living in california ), which is the best engine for ”over landing”. I saw an LC recently that had a 2.4L 2L-TE. Is that pretty common?

Is there a dedicated Land Cruiser forum ( other than this one) that might be a better place to have these conversations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier