Layout dilemma....

Geo.Lander

Once again I am seeking the collective knowledge and imagination of this forum :D
We have until the 6th of Dec to lock in out panel designs and i cannot decide what to do with the massive windows we have spec'd with regards to overhead storage around the seating area. The dilemma is as follows:
  • The windows are too big to have suitable overhead storage right now with the platform there too (I need the platform for systems),
  • Currently installing overhead cabinets there would be too much overlap with the frame and glass/too small storage units
Options as I see it:
  • Do I increase the platform height (gaining under seating volume) and say goodbye to the overhead units?
  • Decrease platform height to 20cm from 30cm.. (then we should be able to install 25-27cm tall overhead lockers..
  • Something else I am missing
  • Buy smaller windows They have already arrived after a 6 month wait, so, no..
Some constraints; Yes, we are keeping the big windows and basic layout + the height above the seating to the bottom of the window is needed...
1638116230577.png
1638116329553.png
1638116257602.png
1638116380358.png

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Options as I see it:
  • Do I increase the platform height (gaining under seating volume) and say goodbye to the overhead units?
  • Decrease platform height to 20cm from 30cm.. (then we should be able to install 25-27cm tall overhead lockers..
  • Something else I am missing

Don't have overhead cabinets. You will have a much more open feeling inside the cabin, especially with your large windows. YMMV

billiebob

storage space = weight from what you fill it with

Why not eliminate the overhead storage, reduce the stuff you pack, open up the seating area.

ps, love the open concept. very retro, old school
don't sacrifice seating comfort for a bit of overhead storage
top of the seat cushion should be 400mm above the place yer feet rest

anything less and you'll feel like yer in an old Toyota pickup or Series I XKE

Tempo-Mikafa-Sport-Camper-Porsche-Interior.jpeg

Last edited:

Geo.Lander

Don't have overhead cabinets. You will have a much more open feeling inside the cabin, especially with your large windows. YMMV

Thanks MOG! I was actually hoping someone would have this stance, should we raise the platform a bit then?

Geo.Lander

storage space = weight from what you fill it with

Why not eliminate the overhead storage, reduce the stuff you pack, open up the seating area.

ps, love the open concept. very retro, old school
don't sacrifice seating comfort for a bit of overhead storage
top of the seat cushion should be 400mm above the place yer feet rest

anything less and you'll feel like yer in an old Toyota pickup or Series I XKE

View attachment 694721

Appreciate the feedback billiebob!
That is exactly our design brief when it came the the interior (the likes of architecture from Håkon Mjelva really inspires us).
We have exactly 400mm :D We have to adjust the U-shape thou.

1638120857317.png

Last edited:

billiebob

Minimise the overhead storage, but if you platform is you bed, then make sure you have enough headroom.

My wife explains it a lot better than I do :)

Beautiful camper.
Love the extra depth for the cooker counter and extra depth of the sliding drawers. A big plus of the longer sliders is better leverage holding the drawer from twisting.

Fabulous, well thought out space. :love::love::love:

Last edited:

RoamIt

Not that I'm qualified to even comment, but I would eliminate the overhead storage as well. Some rigs I've seen are a little claustrophobic, love your big windows! If you could raise the platform a little could you have shallow storage under there?

I wonder if you could utilize the corners for some shelving/storage? I saw a build where they had corner shelves. Were not very deep, and were triangle shaped, but seemed like a great way to add some cubby holes to otherwise unused space.

billiebob

Drop the overhead storage, push the windows up as high as you can, and maximize the lower storage.

Free advice worth…
good advice, mostly I like the fact higher windows make the view standing even better
maybe the best part of the day.... waking, standing, stretching, looking outside. tall/high windows work

tanuki.himself

instead of rigid cabinets why not use something like cargo nets that are more tapered from the tops of the windows to the ceiling? its always useful to have space to stuff lightweight things in.

Geo.Lander

fixed the dimensions on the seating, just need to decide on the platform height now (which will dictate window levels).
Right now with a 300mm platform height and our chosen seat arrangement we have 130cm of head room, So we think we can safely increase the platform by 10cm...
Question, are there any serious drawbacks besides headroom when seating/getting up to doing this? Overthinking?... ?

1638292615132.png
1638292598746.png

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I'd suggest giving it a practise run by putting a board up at 1229mm and see if you can move around underneath it and do what you want to do on the bed ( assuming it does become a bed)
, nothing worse than inconstantly hitting your head. We have 1150mm from top of the mattress to the roof and it just works for us.

billiebob

Having built a few, the bare minimum seated is 1M. Getting in and out comfortably implies more than 1M but on an elevated platform one slides off the seat to a floor much lower.... becomes a catch 22 compromize raising the seats.... the seats might be to high above the main floor to slide into with comfort. Maximum rise for steps is 200mm..... you are already at 300..... mock it up, test run it.... invite some buddies over for beer..... sober yer best buddies will be all high fives..... drunk you will get a real result if they trip, stumble, fall and have a good laugh in the process.

ps, if yer buddies won't come thru invite me, I've always wanted a reason to visit Norway.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles