Layout dilemma....

Sitec

Adventurer
I second mocking up your layout in the corner of a room and seeing what it feels like... We have had several parts of the house mocked up as rooms in our truck so we can see if it'll work. I've also mocked up the seating in our hab box using milk crates, ply board and fold out tables so Wifetec can see it all in real time! :)

joeblack5

Sorry to be late to the show.. large windows is very nice.. mounting them high so you do not have to stoop over while standing is very nice as well.
I would be concerned about the structural strength if the wall section above the window gets reduced..

Storage above windows also helps with the strength of the wall panel.

Maybe build a roll cage around the box

RoamIt

I'm planning the same overall large, high window design myself. To address the specific issue with structural strength, I was planning on two things:

1.) Triangular shelves in the corners that would tie the two intersecting panels together, while providing some cubby hole storage space.

2.) Walls separating areas like the shower/bath area going from floor to ceiling that attaches to the wall as well. Ties the floor, to the wall, to the ceiling.

Sitec

Adventurer
We have both sides full of windows... but, theyre bonded in and about 8mm thick, so double up as rigidity for the hab box. Some are covered internally and have become walls. Because of all the fixed glass I have added a large opening rear full width door at the rear of the bed room, two roof hatches and two roof mounted extraction fans. Ours is sat on a 5 point subframe, so I'm hoping there'll be minimal flex in the hab box. I have also braced the internal partitions which sit directly above one of the mounting points.

Geo.Lander

Sorry to be late to the show.. large windows is very nice.. mounting them high so you do not have to stoop over while standing is very nice as well.
I would be concerned about the structural strength if the wall section above the window gets reduced..

Storage above windows also helps with the strength of the wall panel.

Maybe build a roll cage around the box

I am not even sure this is an issue, we will be using outbound windows and their frames seem pretty solid.. maybe I should bring this up with the engineers anyway to see what they say. The chassis and the box mesh is being added to the CAD now so we will get a physics model analysis..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles