Laws Regarding Aggressive Animals

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Quite often, wild or aggressive dog attacks can be thwarted by a closed car door, even back in the USA.

Bears? Not so easily.

That is assuming one is standing next to a vehicle. In the US, in 90% of places, we do not have to retreat when faced with a deadly threat.

Bear spray also works on dogs when the situation dictates.

shade

That is assuming one is standing next to a vehicle. In the US, in 90% of places, we do not have to retreat when faced with a deadly threat.

Bear spray also works on dogs when the situation dictates.
How obtuse is this going to get? Yes, one would need to be standing near a vehicle to enter it.

I wasn't aware this discussion had turned into Deep Thoughts on the Castle Doctrine. redthies was onto something.

F350joe

I’ve been charged at by a male grizzly, corner by a mother grizzly and her cub, harassed by black bears and never a shot or bear spray fired. Had a guy in Alaska fire off multiple rounds to scare off a bear, just aggravated it, still ate his lunch. If you are camping and a bear goes through you trasharoo while you were out hiking and tears into your truck, you asked for it. Welcome to the woods, go learn how to properly store your food. Different species, different protocols. Talk to a local ranger or goggle before heading into bear country.

Livestock is another conversation and many states have laws to protect farm animals. So unless you camp with your cow and pigs, those laws are not really relevant here. That old little dog dragging its ass around the campground is the same as trolling for fish.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Guns are too loud and quick. The sound might startle a bear, but usually just confuses or aggravates them. I've had better luck banging frying pans together.

Bluff charged twice by black bears. It's a stupid technique bears use on other bears. I actually pity them for trying it on humans, because they'll just get shot.

Campground bears are fun. I usually welcome them.

old .45

Observer
If a bear or whatever threatens me or mine to the point where I fear we may be harmed or our equipment is going to be torn up and we are in a remote area taking all the usual precautions you should follow to deter said intruder...... then there is only one option left...... guess what!

DieselRanger

In Yosemite NP, Rangers haze bears in the Valley with Karelian Bear Dogs and shotguns loaded with bean bags. They don't relocate them because once habituated they just come back or find the nearest dumpster to dive in. The oldest bears in Yosemite have learned to recognize coolers by sight and will break in anywhere they can see one just to investigate...and they pass this knowledge to their offspring. They are definitely smarter than the average bears.

In Sequoia NP, I observed a ranger writing the owner of an utterly shredded Honda Accord a ticket for $500 for improper food storage and endangering wildlife. Every window had been broken out and every seat had been shredded to the frames. He hid an empty bag from McDonald's under his seat and then went for an overnight trip.

Bottom line, if the bear is eating your food, let it. If it's threatening you personally, then you always have the right to self defense. A classic South Park episode comes to mind....

TantoTrailers

Interesting read guys, keep this going! I have yet to car/trailer camp in bear country so I definitely need to be schooled on how to keep everything stored correctly, good info, I love animals so I would hate to ever have to use lethal force (not that I even own lethal force outside of a bladed weapon) but if push comes to shove and I'm about to die, I will take a law charge any day

shade

Interesting read guys, keep this going! I have yet to car/trailer camp in bear country so I definitely need to be schooled on how to keep everything stored correctly, good info, I love animals so I would hate to ever have to use lethal force (not that I even own lethal force outside of a bladed weapon) but if push comes to shove and I'm about to die, I will take a law charge any day
If you make a serious effort to camp clean, store food properly, and keep a general awareness of bear safety, you may never find yourself in that situation.

rgallant

Adventurer
If you make a serious effort to camp clean, store food properly, and keep a general awareness of bear safety, you may never find yourself in that situation.

That and avoiding campsites that have problem bears, it is pretty easy to determine. Get out of your vehicle and take a walk around look for bears sign and garbage. If you find either move on or accept you may have a variety of late night visitors.

Nukeproof

If a bear or whatever threatens me or mine to the point where I fear we may be harmed or our equipment is going to be torn up and we are in a remote area taking all the usual precautions you should follow to deter said intruder...... then there is only one option left...... guess what!

You pack up and move to another spot?

Did i win?

Teachyboy

I will treat a animal just like a human if I think you are a real threat I'll take my chances in court. Granted that level will lower depending if my daughter is with me or not.

CampStewart

Observer
You pack up and move to another spot?

Did i win?
Only if you are able to convince the bear that if he gives you time that you will pack everything up and move out, and that is assuming that it is just about territory. If he means to eat you than he may not care if you are willing to pack up and leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles