LATEST PROJECT - Truck Drawers/Sleeping Platform

huntertibbs

It's also available at your local Home Depot. Along with standard fittings. Only downfall, it's steel.
Just curious, is steel a downfall because of weight? I'm not real familiar with the utili track system so there may be something I'm missing

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

huntertibbs

Yeah. It can get heavy compared to an aluminum setup.
Thank you, I'm still fairly new to the overland thing. This thread has given me lots of ideas for my own truck that's still in the beginning stages of setup

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

bigmancleverman

Just read every page of this thread !, as every one else said - beautiful work. Got my skateboard bearings, steel tubing, spring handles, ready to dive into a similar project although will not be quite as sweet as Mr roadtripcrazed.

CeeDeeHR

Firstly...Great stuff you made and shared here!
Secondly...can you please help me and share info about "sleeping" part of this post...Nissan Navara/Frontier rear deck is cca 160cm long which is not enough for sleeping bad (especially for two)...am i getting something wrong here? How do you sleep man? ;)

Thanks upfront

theREDwonder

Observer
I spent MONTHS scouring websites and making notes. Drawing plans and erasing plans. When it all came together, I decided to design and build a fully custom truck drawer/sleeping platform system that would house two 4.5ft drawers, on-board fresh water (hot & cold), AND a canopy heater just for good measure!

Hey Doug, what would you estimate was the cost for all the materials, excluding the water tank, plumbing and heater stuff....just the wood and drawer hardware.

EDIT - After re-reading everything you said:
I managed to source the heat exchanger from a friend for nothing ... the pump was ~$120, the hoses and fitting about $100, the tank was around $150 ... my memory is pretty fuzzy after 3 years. I think I put about $800 into the whole project and the water system was a good chunk of that amount. I would guess it was $500-600 for the hot/cold water system including tank, fittings, faucet, etc. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Kobidoo

How did you decide on how many bearings to use for the drawers? I have a 2002 GMC Sierra that I am building a platform bed for and am looking for cost effective ways to make a couple of long drawers. My set up is basically two 16"H x 80" long x 24"W benches, one on each side of the bed, that have lids on the top that you access the contents from. The center is open except for plywood that spans the middle for the bed. I want to make a 48"Lx13"W drawer for my stove and propane tank and an 80"L x 18"W drawer down the middle. I'll post pics once I get some up to add to the variety of builds that I have found here. There are so many options and ideas and they are all excellent.

Last edited:

Rammyboy

More questions!!! Greetings to you all, l have read through roadtripcrazed inspiring thread and am about to start work on my conversion.For the storage drawers I'm going with the skateboard bearings and 1" box.
One thing that bothers me is the lossless of the bearing fit on the fixing bolts. Am I looking too deep into this? Has anybody had any wear issues with the bearings?

For those interested in seeing this build in person, I have committed to attending this year's Overland Expo WEST.

I look forward to seeing you there!

portillagee

Observer
Hi,

Would you mind sharing how you chose to make cuts for all the access panels? The fitment looks great, they look cnc'd.

Thanks.

Nomadic81

Great work! Your link to the bearings goes to the website but not the specific bearing. Could you tell me more about the bearing or where to get it. Also what about in setting the square steel into the drawer side would that save a little space and maybe a little stronger? Thanks.

Gibbs

metapete

What kind of roller bearings did you use for those drawer slides? I'm dismayed at how much long-pull drawer-slides are, and want to build something similar into my Sprinter van, but for my Bike storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles