lateral recovery

s.e.charles

just watched this episode and winced at the sideways drag. not surprised there was subsequent effects.

Q: what would be a better solution yielding no collateral damage?*

*i know: "park somewhere else" = not helpful

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
just watched this episode and winced at the sideways drag. not surprised there was subsequent effects.

*i know: "park somewhere else" = not helpful

All he had to do was pull the wheel off and have it cleaned up.
He should have been able to do that if he had the tools to change a tire.

I have had increased success airing the tire back up ( if you are aired down ) to help scoot the vehicle sideways.
I would rather pivot the vehicle most of the time vs trying to pull it completely sideways.

pith helmet

a second truck to pull it forward or backward as this one had it secured laterally. with good communication the lateral truck could let out the lead as the other one pulled. seeing as how this wasn't a 'middle of nowhere diy job' they could've pulled that off. the operator should've stopped before he did. needs to move out of the way, too.

s.e.charles

i would think the sideways tug would most certainly put stress on the internal gubbins at least on the front wheel.

s.e.charles

a second truck to pull it forward or backward as this one had it secured laterally. with good communication the lateral truck could let out the lead as the other one pulled. seeing as how this wasn't a 'middle of nowhere diy job' they could've pulled that off. the operator should've stopped before he did. needs to move out of the way, too.

would a straight front pull (only) have twisted the body enough to jam/ drag it along the tree?

pith helmet

i guess i was thinking you clear the trees with a lateral pull (really didn't get bad till he got toward the crest of the shoulder) then you pull it forward. at least that's my armchair quarterbacking.

chet6.7

Explorer
I think a second truck would have helped. Secure the rear of the vehicle and winch the front of the vehicle while letting out line on the rear as the front comes up. I don't think that pull hurt anything beside the a fore mentioned problem, I would check the tires for any dirt between the tire and rim. The Matt's Off Road Recovery channel has some similar recovery's.

pith helmet

i guess i was thinking you clear the trees with a lateral pull (really didn't get bad till he got toward the crest of the shoulder) then you pull it forward. at least that's my armchair quarterbacking.
...i meant 'get clear of the trees' not, like , cut the trees.

roving1

I feel like you could have turned the traction control off and probably driven out or avoided that whole thing entirely. Guy is the definition of milque toast.

I also feel like tow guy could have walked over and kicked the pile of gravel away that he was about to pack into the wheel instead of just winching in.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The tow guys I’ve seen recover undamaged stuck cars usually like to have someone spin the tires lightly to prevent side loading/ drag. It was likely fine and the screeching was gravel jammed into his brake shields.

s.e.charles

The tow guys I’ve seen recover undamaged stuck cars usually like to have someone spin the tires lightly to prevent side loading/ drag. It was likely fine and the screeching was gravel jammed into his brake shields.
interesting perspective. i can see how the spinning could encourage the vehicle to float and if all or four wheel drive maybe would have prevented the build up of sediment against the sidewalls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94