Late Summer Trek to South Dakota

trekkerr

PART ONE:

Last summer a crew of guys and I decided to plan a trip to South Dakota to the Badlands National Park, The Black Hills National Forest, and side trip to the Devil's Tower National Monument in Wyoming. The three of us would set out in my 2000 Toyota 4runner. Before the trip the lower ball joints were replaced for a little piece of mind as they were due for replacing.

We set out on August 5th from Jackson, Mississippi and landed the first night at a campsite at the end of a FS road past Kansas City.

IMG_7891.JPG

We were tempted to drive through the night but decided it would be better to stay the night. It was hot and we could hear the highway but we eventually got some sleep. We got up pretty early the next morning and hit the road.

IMG_7911.JPG

We arrived at Badlands National Park with plenty of time to check out the park and head to the campsite.

IMG_7936.JPG

We set up the tent and made some dinner after seeing a few sites and retreated to the tent after the flies came out.

The next day would be spent hiking the Castle Trail which was around 10 miles round trip but mostly flat. It was hot, dry, and other-worldly.
IMG_4964.jpg

We were wary of rattlesnakes as the trail made its way through thick brush. However, we saw very few signs of wildlife.

After we spent most of the day hiking this trail we drove down a few of the roads that we hadn't gone down the day before.
X0g_46AuCXG_QANNw0De6NP6QPo7QbPEsO0gWgYb4DNDgLdEyqg7wiC7SqjPd-T5FZeHN5kDxNc1aDgfkjZ25bUtN-Rf1g...jpg
IMG_7973.JPG

After a long day of hiking we were ready for a good meal and chicken tacos were devoured as we sat and took in the sunset.

IMG_7938.JPG

The next day would be spent driving through some more of the park and then heading west to the Black Hills National Forest. I'll talk more of this in part two...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94