Late model Ford SuperCabs: Do the doors creak?

Overdrive

Adventurer
Kicking around the idea of a new 3/4 or 1 ton truck and I really like the size of Ford's SuperCab. It's just the wife and I and maybe a dog, so don't need/want the crew cab...would like to keep the wheelbase shorter...so, considering SC SB.

We had an '01 Dodge QC SB, which had the same type (rear-hinged) doors. Problem was, on rough dirt roads, I could hear the door latch area always moving...not really squeaking or rattling, but I could hear the movement where both doors latched into the body, and did not like it.

So, my question is, is this design "feature" not an issue with late model Fords? Those of you who own such a rig, do you hear any movement at the door latch area?

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It could depending on one truck to another. I would suggest test driving one on a rough road and see if you can hear it?

I drove many ext cabs of many makes with those style doors (not a '17+ Super duty however) and would say some rattled and some didn't.

Now, these were also used trucks. So, who knows what kind of roads they were driven on before I drove them.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Some of the guys in the Raptor forum with SCABs have complained of a bit of noise, but those are usually the members who full send all the time.

MR. ED

Observer
2014 scab. Light wheeling/offroading no squeks yet. I've had it pretty twisted a couple times on switchbacks and I didn't notice any sounds.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I beat the ever loving hell out of my 2017 supercab, it spent probably 70% of its life off highway, never had a door rattle unless it was -40 out for weeks, then it rattled a bit over bumps.

Also have a '14 SCAB F150. I have a bit of rattle or jarring on bumps from the latch area where the suicide door latches to the front door, accompanied by rubbing/movement of the weather-stripping along the door seam. My suspension is Icon with Deaver rear springs, so pretty stiff on highway expansion joints and the like, which is where I notice it. Off road/dirt road, when there is plenty else rattling, I don't notice it.

It's not too much of a bother, but I will admit it factors into me somewhat favoring a crewcab for a future F350, though not nearly as much as my 13 year old's habit of continuing to grow legs.

KWJohnston

I had a 2005 F150 Supercab 2wd, no squeaks that I remember but the dang rear seat belts rattled around against the door panel on rough roads. I do remember that. Truck had some suspension noise after high mileage that got annoying too.
I now have a 2017 F150 Supercab 4x4 and it is tight as can be! No noise off road except my stuff rattling around in map pockets and center console. Front drivers door strut squeaks sometimes opening, I just keep it greased.

The Crew cab and Double cab trucks get a lot of coverage for Overland builds. Certainly there doors are more solid, and the configuration work better as a family/people hauler. Once upon a time trucks were bought for hauling STUFF. Now most trucks are bought for hauling PASSENGERS. For MY purposes, the Supercab is functionally superior and I highly recommend them. You save money on purchase price , get a full size bed, and still have plenty of space inside to lock up valuable items. I think you will be happy with it!

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
We are shopping for a super cab. Just two of us and the dog. I had a Tacoma that had the doors creak. We wiped them down with armorall and they were silent. I figured if they are quite on a Tacoma's noodle frame they should be quite on a F250s frame.

tacollie

Glamper
So I picked up 19' F-250 supercab. The doors don't creak or rattle. On really rough wash board they do move enough to make some noise. It's kind of like when the door is only partially closed and you need to give it an extra tug. I'm hoping some decent tires and better shocks will help smooth things out.

phsycle

Adventurer
So I picked up 19' F-250 supercab. The doors don't creak or rattle. On really rough wash board they do move enough to make some noise. It's kind of like when the door is only partially closed and you need to give it an extra tug. I'm hoping some decent tires and better shocks will help smooth things out.

I’ve heard some electrical tape on the strikers does the trick. For a bit anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles