Last 2500 Suburban

hg1027

Maybe I missed it, did you ever find/make rock sliders? Can't tell in that pic and didn't find anything quickly scanning through.

I'm considering for my 13 Z71. Neighbors with Lexuses are peer pressuring me that they will run away from me with their shorter wheelbase.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Maybe I missed it, did you ever find/make rock sliders? Can't tell in that pic and didn't find anything quickly scanning through.

I'm considering for my 13 Z71. Neighbors with Lexuses are peer pressuring me that they will run away from me with their shorter wheelbase.

hg1027,

No, never put rock sliders on however I still do have the border patrol underbelly tubular frame cage that I can bolt skid plate to. I've been too busy and laze to pull it off.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I had to pull the plug on doing anything to the 2500 for off road travel. I am comparing it to my 2000 Suburban 1500 that is absolutely perfect for off road travel and just do not have the $10-15,000 budget to make the 2500 anywhere close to as comfortable or reliable off road as the 1500.

2500 stays strictly on pavement, only has seen a couple hundred feet of dirt in the last year and even though I drive it 25,000mi/year I have replaced drivers side lower control arm once, passenger lower control arm two times, two sets of rotors/pads, both front wheel bearings once, front passenger wheel bearing two times, front passenger CV, front drivers side CV will need to be replaced soon too.

As far as your neighbors Lexuses shorter wheelbase may or may not be adventageous, it all depends on the trails you plan on running. If you are going on east coast narrow and twisty woods trails, shorter wheelbase has an advantage. If you plan on running long open dirt roads, washboard, southwest trails such as Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Mojave preserve all you have to do is drop the tire pressure to around 15psi in your full size and no Lexus will ever be able to keep up with you, or be more comfortable.

Ultimately you will have to figure out what terrain you are driving on, what your short comings are and modify your truck accordingly. What works for me might not work for you, likewise what works for a Lexus might or might not work for you.

Good luck!

hg1027

Anything you can point to to explain all those replacements? Border patrol abuse got something out of alignment? I've gone through some parts, but that was when I was 17 and driving like a maniac.

It's been a while since I did 25k a year, but if I ever go back to the office my wife will drive the suburban the three miles to the bus stop, and I'll be back in the accord for ~9k a year.

We're probably mostly looking at beaches and deserts in Texas, hoping to get to Colorado in April, but I don't have a trail in mind yet.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Anything you can point to to explain all those replacements? Border patrol abuse got something out of alignment? I've gone through some parts, but that was when I was 17 and driving like a maniac.

It's been a while since I did 25k a year, but if I ever go back to the office my wife will drive the suburban the three miles to the bus stop, and I'll be back in the accord for ~9k a year.

We're probably mostly looking at beaches and deserts in Texas, hoping to get to Colorado in April, but I don't have a trail in mind yet.

hg1027,

BP is not to blame here, all their components were replaced with Moog from what I could tell. I also replaced both upper and lower front control arms/ball joints with DetroitAxle parts immediately when I got the Suburban. So the control arms that were mentioned in the previous post were after I replaced them in the first place. It's the ball joints that keep on getting destroyed and it's much quicker and cheaper to replace an entire control arm with a new ball joint than to just replace a ball joint. I am talking 10 minutes to replace an upper control arm start to finish.

Anyway, not sure why I am having those issues, all driving is on highway or paved roads. I do pull a 5,000-10,000 pound trailer just about every week 500-1,000 miles. However the trailer would explain the brakes wearing quicker not the front suspension parts. Alignment is done on the truck when needed and it drives straight with normal tire weer.

I also do not drive the 2500 hard, the ride is really rough and harsh when it's unloaded, as a heavy duty 3/4 ton should be.

Suburban 1500 and 2500 is an excellent platform, and it will take a lot of abuse on trails that many do not think it will make it, sounds like it's a perfect ruck for your needs.

Burb One

Adventurer
Hey Drei- would you mind taking and posting pictures of the bp tubular add-ons? Curious how they were designed/what they protected. I'm thinking of adding some skidplates for the gas tank, etc when the truck is under the knife for front suspension next week.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Hey Drei- would you mind taking and posting pictures of the bp tubular add-ons? Curious how they were designed/what they protected. I'm thinking of adding some skidplates for the gas tank, etc when the truck is under the knife for front suspension next week.

Burb One,

I have snow coming tonight, have to clean up the yard and driveway a little. I'll see if I can run the front end up some ramps and get a couple pics for you.

The company that did these is from southern California, they have a contract to do skid plates for BP trucks, do not remember their name off the top of my head.

Overlandtowater

Burb One,

I have snow coming tonight, have to clean up the yard and driveway a little. I'll see if I can run the front end up some ramps and get a couple pics for you.

The company that did these is from southern California, they have a contract to do skid plates for BP trucks, do not remember their name off the top of my head.
they also do skids for forest trucks too..

FishinGuns

Awesome thread. Thanks for all the info. I just bought a ‘12 2500 ‘Burb w/45,000miles. Was a Federale’ administrative vehicle in its previous short life. Was primed to buy a new 2021 HD gasser, this was much cheaper! Mine is a tow vehicle also/family hauler. Planning to adjust my TPMS sensors on the low end for unloaded cruising. It rides MUCH better at 45psi all around.

I’ve got build plans for mine. Gotta sell my 5.3 Silverado first. Hoping to drive the beast 300,00-400,000 miles.

Attachments

• 27145E1E-134A-473D-9366-9962A0668DA1.jpeg
    27145E1E-134A-473D-9366-9962A0668DA1.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 33

pigsammy

hg1027,

BP is not to blame here, all their components were replaced with Moog from what I could tell. I also replaced both upper and lower front control arms/ball joints with DetroitAxle parts immediately when I got the Suburban. So the control arms that were mentioned in the previous post were after I replaced them in the first place.

I used a front driveshaft from Detroit axle in my work truck. I have replaced it twice since and it needs replacing now. I have less than 15,000 miles on all three so far. The last one starting vibrating in less than 2,000 miles. Warranty replacement has been a nightmare as well.

Detroit Driveline may be the largest part of your problems.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Awesome thread. Thanks for all the info. I just bought a ‘12 2500 ‘Burb w/45,000miles. Was a Federale’ administrative vehicle in its previous short life. Was primed to buy a new 2021 HD gasser, this was much cheaper! Mine is a tow vehicle also/family hauler. Planning to adjust my TPMS sensors on the low end for unloaded cruising. It rides MUCH better at 45psi all around.

I’ve got build plans for mine. Gotta sell my 5.3 Silverado first. Hoping to drive the beast 300,00-400,000 miles.

FishinGuns,

Congrats on the new toy, it's a great truck and it really likes to tow. 45psi will definitely give you a relatively smooth ride, 80psi is nice for a 10,000# trailer. I think that emissions free 6.0 will definitely last you 300-400k miles, wiring and electronics in it, well, thats a different story all together.

Look forward to watching your build.

FishinGuns

I should have explained more, ha ha! I definitely agree you need to inflate tires for max towing. I won’t be towing that much weight, just a fishing boat, hopefully a bigger fishing boat down the road, maybe an enclosed trailer in the future. I’d rather deal with the dash yelling at me when I occasionally tow heavy, or get a second set of tires and rims. Your situation towing heavy regularly, I’m not sure a TPMS sensor can be programmed take a big enough upper/lower spread psi range. When I get mine done, I’ll report back. My goal is to get largest spread possible to cover as many situations as possible.

One inch of up travel before it hits those supplemental springs (yes, they are a bump stop but GM doesn't seem to be really using them in this case) would be a good indication of why the ride quality is terrible on the truck unladen.

I'd put money this is the culprit. Washboard roads, etc, require more uptravel than something like rock crawling. Having lived in NE for several years, I can attest to the garbage road conditions up there (lived in Maine).

Find out what's limiting the up travel, add 2 to 3 inches, and I'd also bet the ride quality will drastically improve.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I should have explained more, ha ha! I definitely agree you need to inflate tires for max towing. I won’t be towing that much weight, just a fishing boat, hopefully a bigger fishing boat down the road, maybe an enclosed trailer in the future. I’d rather deal with the dash yelling at me when I occasionally tow heavy, or get a second set of tires and rims. Your situation towing heavy regularly, I’m not sure a TPMS sensor can be programmed take a big enough upper/lower spread psi range. When I get mine done, I’ll report back. My goal is to get largest spread possible to cover as many situations as possible.

FishinGuns,

What kind of TPMS sensors are you using? I've been running the cheapest 315 MHz eBay sensors and never ever had any trouble with them no matter if I am running 30psi or 80psi in all the tires. GM did do one thing right, it's ridiculously easy to re-program them without any dealer tools in less than 5 minutes. Makes changing from one to second set of tires a breeze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles