Last 2500 Suburban

fl0w3n

Observer
You can still buy them, brand new:

Any orders for them in 2019 Q1 & Q2 (I believe 8 total in Q2) have been indefinitely postponed. The 12 or 16 that were made in Q1 is all that will happen for 2019.

So yes, they were available, but I think 2019 is going to be the full on death year of them.

fl0w3n

Observer
Wow, 16.7 MPG ... that's seriously impressive, considering.

My 02 6.0 2500 is lucky to get 11-12 MPG. I wonder if it's that much more improved aero in the GMT900, or is it tuning? I believe the GMT900 still uses the 4L85-E? Most other people I've heard from are right around what I'm getting.

Also, congrats on the rig. It should be a great platform. I think you'll like the suspension options for the 2500 more than the 1500. Check out DMAXStore.com for some solid steering and suspension upgrades. I've run their stuff on multiple GMT 800 2500's.
Also, Lee Power Steering out of Santa Clarita CA does a great job of rebuilding and upgrading the power steering gearbox and pump. I wasn't too impressed with Red Head, but it wasn't terrible. I have yet to try PSC's new options.

D

Deleted member 9101

Any orders for them in 2019 Q1 & Q2 (I believe 8 total in Q2) have been indefinitely postponed. The 12 or 16 that were made in Q1 is all that will happen for 2019.

So yes, they were available, but I think 2019 is going to be the full on death year of them.

That's sad and slightly inconvenient. We use them where I work and nothing else on the market can do what we need.

lilkia

Wow, 16.7 MPG ... that's seriously impressive, considering.

My 02 6.0 2500 is lucky to get 11-12 MPG. I wonder if it's that much more improved aero in the GMT900, or is it tuning? I believe the GMT900 still uses the 4L85-E? Most other people I've heard from are right around what I'm getting.

Also, congrats on the rig. It should be a great platform. I think you'll like the suspension options for the 2500 more than the 1500. Check out DMAXStore.com for some solid steering and suspension upgrades. I've run their stuff on multiple GMT 800 2500's.
Also, Lee Power Steering out of Santa Clarita CA does a great job of rebuilding and upgrading the power steering gearbox and pump. I wasn't too impressed with Red Head, but it wasn't terrible. I have yet to try PSC's new options.

It depends on the year. The latter gmt900s had the 6L9x series trans. Not sure what year that started but I think 2009. I severely dislike the 6lxx trannys. It always seems like its searching for the right gear. The 4l8xs are just always solid even though its only a 4 speed. The 6speed Ally's are much smoother than the 6lxxs.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Ita not built to tow... its built to haul. Look at the GVW. We usually roll down the HW at or slightly over the max GVW.
Yes, I noted that. While that is impressive, the tow rating still seems crazy low compared to older 2500 Suburbans. Or even 1500 Suburbans. I think the two 1500 Suburbans I owned were rated for 9,900 lbs or something close.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yes, I noted that. While that is impressive, the tow rating still seems crazy low compared to older 2500 Suburbans. Or even 1500 Suburbans. I think the two 1500 Suburbans I owned were rated for 9,900 lbs or something close.

It's intended for customers that have ne need to tow a trailer. Its 100% built to carry a heavy load.

We have 4 where I work, they will never tow a trailer.

Explorerinil

Observer
10 18?

The outer door handle issue is not just child locks. There is a physical disengagement to keep the rear doors from being opened after someone is placed in custody from the outside.
As for the inner door handles Ill have to check but Im pretty sure the handle linkage is disconnected. Hitting the child safety lock does nothing.
And the command staff here drives unmarked (sometimes marked) tahoes and sod generally roll around in unmarked units.
Been on 18 years now, 3 different departments and supervise a fleet now, every patrol car I’ve ever seen on every agency around me, the child safety lock or switch is activated, nothing special and no additional equipment added.

fl0w3n

Observer
It depends on the year. The latter gmt900s had the 6L9x series trans. Not sure what year that started but I think 2009. I severely dislike the 6lxx trannys. It always seems like its searching for the right gear. The 4l8xs are just always solid even though its only a 4 speed. The 6speed Ally's are much smoother than the 6lxxs.

I thought about that after, that it might be a different trans.

I'm still impressed it made that much of a difference in MPG having a double OD

Your take is interesting on the 6Lxx vs 4Lxx. I've never owned a 6Lxx rig, but my 2500 Burb with the 6.0/4L80 combo when towing heavy and hitting grades feels like it needs more gears. Or maybe I'm impatient and used to pulling grades with my Duramax...
But the Burb will continually go from 3rd gear 2500 or so RPM to 2nd and wind it up to 4-5k. Then, unless I keep it wound up at 4-5k, as soon as it drops below 3k there's no choice but to let it continue to bog until it slams into 2nd and winds it way back up. Maybe that's more of a complaint on the 6.0 and the narrow power band...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Probably a topic for another thread but I've heard through the Intertoobz that the current K2XX Suburbans will be the last ones to have a solid rear axle. Newer ones will be IRS like the Expedition.

lilkia

Been on 18 years now, 3 different departments and supervise a fleet now, every patrol car I’ve ever seen on every agency around me, the child safety lock or switch is activated, nothing special and no additional equipment added.

Well I promise you BP units are exactly as I stated. It has nothing to do with the child lock. No disrespect intended but since you didnt understand the 10 18, I guarantee you dont know.

Last edited:

lilkia

I thought about that after, that it might be a different trans.

I'm still impressed it made that much of a difference in MPG having a double OD

Your take is interesting on the 6Lxx vs 4Lxx. I've never owned a 6Lxx rig, but my 2500 Burb with the 6.0/4L80 combo when towing heavy and hitting grades feels like it needs more gears. Or maybe I'm impatient and used to pulling grades with my Duramax...
But the Burb will continually go from 3rd gear 2500 or so RPM to 2nd and wind it up to 4-5k. Then, unless I keep it wound up at 4-5k, as soon as it drops below 3k there's no choice but to let it continue to bog until it slams into 2nd and winds it way back up. Maybe that's more of a complaint on the 6.0 and the narrow power band...
No I kinda agree, especially with my 5.7. I think the 4l8x needs another gear on the top end, especially behind the 8.1. But I like the spacing of the existing gears down low with the big block. Its power comes in real low on the rpm curve so it doesnt jump much.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
What gears do you have in the new rig?
My 2011 2500 truck is getting about 14 empty all highway with the 4.10’s.(on winter gas)
The only complaint I have with the six speed is that it always tries to be in the highest gear possible and it’s too slow to downshift.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
First adventure: World's largest PBR beer can

This is not an off-road adventure but more of 50 miles of pavement and 1/4mile of dirt adventure. I had my eye on this giant PBR beer can for many eyars and finally decided that it was time to visit it.

Google GPS coordinates: 36.454922, -114.845195

OfEXXme.jpg

Old rail road water tank, approximately 30 feet tall, and 12ft diameter.

c9dYNZF.jpg

"Aware! Drinking tin flavored piss-water is as American as smallpox covered blankets, shooting unarmed black men, diplomacy by drone, date raping drunk sorority girls with impunity, or over consumption of everything always!"

aQ3ebmQ.jpg

Pretty cool top.

xyI7IS4.jpg

And the moment you all have been waiting for, the 2500 Suburban actually off road!

6bKkSHD.jpg

Another angle.

pRfNmZZ.jpg

This angle looks pretty cool too.

To be continued...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior