Larry's 1978 K10

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry I have to say that is some pretty choice Colorado scenery you posted there. Good to see both you and the misses out enjoying that 4x4 run. Some cool looking terain that seems tactical in spots. I personally use my chainsaw way more than the winch I dont have. Get yourself a little Stihl or Husquvarna and you will be a happy camper. The truck looks great as usual and those pics and vids make me want to come down your way and go for a rip. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

Thanks Chili! If you ever make it down this way I’ll take you out to show you around. It’s probably not as green here as the Canadian Rockies though. I definitely need to add some kind of saw into tool chest. Thinking of adding a backup camera too.

Hi Larry,

I've followed your build for quite a while but I don't think I've ever posted in your thread. You have an awesome rig, I keep a spot reserved for when I find the right deal on an old square body Chevy like yours, truly a perfect truck. And you just can't beat an 8.1 in old iron! Truck's got it where it counts my friend...

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I work for a company that's contracted at the Pueblo Chemical Depot, where the "PCAPP" site is located. I'm moving to Pueblo West next May when I finish my undergrad, so I'll see you around eventually!

Anyway, I figured I'd chime in and give you 2 more thumbs up from another Colorado kid. Keep up the great work and adventures!

Graham

Thanks! I’ve actually got a few friends working at the Chemical Depot. Seems to be a big operation they have going on out there. One friend moved here from Washington State and my neighbor moved here from Arkansas to work there. Pueblo West is a small area so I am sure we’ll run across each other at some point when you move down here. You won’t see the blue truck out and about much as it spends most of its time in the garage when not out on a trip but you could see my Suburban around as I drive it almost daily. Look me up once you get settled in. I should have an 8.1L in the Suburban by then too.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Larry it would be a pleasure to come down your way and look at your awesome GM trucks. Wheeling with you would just be icing on the cake...:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Just saw this on Facebook. Now for some reason I sure am really anxious for this month’s issue of 4WOR to get here! It was two year’s worth of photo-shoots (OX13 & OX14) so it will be interesting to see which ones made the cut. I hope they used some of the action shots!

15655764175_d61e5219d6_b.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Super cool your truck is going to be in the 4 wheeler magazine Larry. I just dont think it fits in the low buck 4 wheeler category. Your rig is too fine for that label!:Wow1:

toddz69

Explorer
Super cool your truck is going to be in the 4 wheeler magazine Larry. I just dont think it fits in the low buck 4 wheeler category. Your rig is too fine for that label!:Wow1:

I had the same thought! And then thought a bit more about a lot of the rigs in this genre and it probably is 'low buck'. In any case, congrats. Few rigs of your caliber appear in the magazines.

Todd Z.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer

I had the same thought! And then thought a bit more about a lot of the rigs in this genre and it probably is 'low buck'. In any case, congrats. Few rigs of your caliber appear in the magazines.

Todd Z.

I haven’t seen the rag yet but I don’t think it is actually part of the low buck theme for the Jan 15 issue. It looks like there is an overland theme in this issue as well if you look in the lower right hand corner it mentions “Overlanding Tents & Events”. Although I could see how it could be confusing giving the placement of the photo on the cover. Todd is right, in all reality it was a low buck build compared to many in this genre and given it took 20 years to get it to this point. Hell, the paint job was less than $200 in materials and a case of beer back in 1998 when we painted it in a friends barn. To this day there is a water skipper stuck in the clear coat on tailgate. I just keep it claybar’d and waxed before and after every trip to keep it looking mall crawler fresh :coffeedrink:

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Both your trucks are top shelf, but the K10 is a killer beast worthy of the cover of Petersen's or Overland Journal even (in spite of the fact that they seem to snub sqaurebody Chevy's)

Here's to you and all your hard work Larry! :beer:

Bojak

Adventurer
Hey, looks like some guy built one similar to yours. I'll have to get the issue and see how far the similarities go.

Congrats on making the cover. As someone who has read 4wor for years that is cool. Come to think of it Metcalf and his flatfender were in a mag last month too. Cool being around all you celebrities, at least virtually. Again, that is bucket list cool, congrats.

KaiserM715

Adventurer
I got mine in the mail yesterday and had a chance to read the article. Very cool to get a magazine feature. They definitely took the overland point of view in the article (not the cheap truck p.o.v.)/ Your truck has always been one of my favorite builds on ExPo.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Larry I'm sure that I have asked this before but what is your fuel mileage like with the 8.1? Also how many gallons does your tuck hold? (I assume that you have the saddlebag tanks)

I ask because I'm at a crossroads as to where I should go next (it's even got me considering a 4/6BT). I know you aren't a diesel fan and I'm trying to get input on the logistics of taking a 1500-3000 mile trip with a truck that gets 9mpg and has a 16 gallon tank.

The bottom line is that if your truck gets any where near 9 or 10 highway there is no point in me keeping the 350.

warwgn

Explorer
Larry I'm sure that I have asked this before but what is your fuel mileage like with the 8.1? Also how many gallons does your tuck hold? (I assume that you have the saddlebag tanks)

I ask because I'm at a crossroads as to where I should go next (it's even got me considering a 4/6BT). I know you aren't a diesel fan and I'm trying to get input on the logistics of taking a 1500-3000 mile trip with a truck that gets 9mpg and has a 16 gallon tank.

The bottom line is that if your truck gets any where near 9 or 10 highway there is no point in me keeping the 350.

My carbed 496 (8.1L) 86 Suburban gets 9 with a 3 spd th400 in it, I will know soon what it does with a overdrive 4L80E. I would guess Larry gets a little better than mine does now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles