Larry's 1978 K10

D

Deleted member 374434BT

Thanks for the good info! I now kick myself realizing I've passed over a few in the Upick yards that were in GMT400 3500HD bucket trucks from the county and phone company. I always thought those were 8.1s. DOH!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks for the good info! I now kick myself realizing I've passed over a few in the Upick yards that were in GMT400 3500HD bucket trucks from the county and phone company. I always thought those were 8.1s. DOH!
If they were in GMT400 3500-HD trucks, then they were 8.1Ls (8.1s were in GMT400s in 2001 and 2002). L21's were only in the big TopKick, Kodiak and P-chassis.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Cycling the Great Divide: From Canada to Mexico on North ...
by Michael McCoy, venture Cycling Association
From $9.99
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

RedF

Adventurer
Hey Larry, do you have a permanent solution for leaking engine oil cooler lines? I'm debating cutting the hoses off the steel lines and installing hydraulic hose with Mikalor clamps.

I replaced the two hydroboost pressure lines this spring, and appears one is leaking already, so that's going to be another undertaking!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hey Larry, do you have a permanent solution for leaking engine oil cooler lines? I'm debating cutting the hoses off the steel lines and installing hydraulic hose with Mikalor clamps.

I replaced the two hydroboost pressure lines this spring, and appears one is leaking already, so that's going to be another undertaking!
Outside of replacing the EOC lines with AN fittings and hose the other option is two pipe plugs in the engine block, remove the drainback valve above the oil filter and send the old lines with the trashman. Neither my K10 or Suburban 8.1 have EOC's, mainly because I don't have room to add one and I change the oil every 3K. Although, my bone stock 8.1L Silverado is on its first set of OEM replacement EOC lines and probably due for another set before long

I’ve had good luck with my off the shelf Napa hydroboost lines but AN fittings and hose is another option for the hydrobooster too. Probably what I will do next go around.

RedF

Adventurer
Do you happen to know what AN adapters are required for gmt800 hydroboost? Now that I have the engine oil cooler lines fixed, the power steering is leaking BAD!

The stupid part is I really considered keeping the two hoses because I had a feeling I wasn't done with this, but we were moving and I didn't want more "junk".

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Do you happen to know what AN adapters are required for gmt800 hydroboost? Now that I have the engine oil cooler lines fixed, the power steering is leaking BAD!

The stupid part is I really considered keeping the two hoses because I had a feeling I wasn't done with this, but we were moving and I didn't want more "junk".
I sure don't as I don't mess with much AN stuff. AN fittings are like Legos, there are thousands of different ones. You'll probably need to call someone at Earl's or something

Roadhazardguy

I believe they're 11/16-18 to 6an.
Make sure you get them in o-ring or flare, depending on what your hydroboost or steering box has.

toddz69

Explorer

Every hydroboost I've worked that was made later than 1980 uses 16mm and 18mm adapters to hook up the -6AN hoses. I haven't looked at a GMT800 hydroboost units specifically, but I'd bet it uses the same sizes.

Todd Z.