Large RTT on a Subaru Forester?

HankLH

We are considering buying a larger hardshell roof top tent. What do you think of mounting this on a Subaru Forester? A 58 inch wide tent would be about 8 inches wider than the roof on each side but an couple inches within the width of the vehicle. We don't overland - yet :). We mostly like to go a ways down a dirt or fire road from time to time.

HankLH

What's the weight of the tent?

We haven't made a final selection but the ones I'm looking at are between 145 and 163 lbs. (I would welcome suggestions here as well :). ). We are planning to add aftermarket roof racks, from what I've seen so far that seems necessary.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We haven't made a final selection but the ones I'm looking at are between 145 and 163 lbs. (I would welcome suggestions here as well :). ). We are planning to add aftermarket roof racks, from what I've seen so far that seems necessary.

I think I would be more concerned with the weight and the wind resistance. On a Forester, I would try to get the smallest and lowest profile tent available.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
If the Forester roof is anything like the Outback you'll be limited to 100lbs max.

Last edited:

highwest

I used to load up my Forester with so much gear and friends that the inside of the tires would go bald... that was before I understood the importance of rotating tires though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94