Large insta tent

MOguy

Explorer
I am looking to a 3 or 4 room large Insta tent. Not for cold weather.

Any recommendations?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
The only insta-tents these days are Shiftpods. They make connectors that you can add several together. But it ends up costing more than the Cabo B&B mentioned up thread.

Attachments

• A312FE57-5ED0-4C9D-A589-A65100017577.png
    A312FE57-5ED0-4C9D-A589-A65100017577.png
    464.9 KB · Views: 15

MOguy

Explorer
I ended up getting a Ozark Trail one but the connectors and pools were to cheaply made and it would two adult size people to set it up. I took it pack and got a Core 9P. I am a fair weather adventure so I didn't need a high end tent. I am getting generator and window AC for it. I will only use this setup when I am campground or base camping. For on the trail I have a smaller lighter tent.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Wal-Mart has a lot of their tents on clearance right now if you don't need higher end gear- check Brickseek to see what's clearanced priced in you area. I saw they had a ten or twelve man for like $49 the other day. I swung in today and grabbed a new Ugly Stick soft tackle bag for $7 and a large bottle of Tiki brand citronella oil for $2.50. As much as I hate WalMart, I'm not above stopping in for good deals.

MOguy

Explorer
I got my core 9P Insta tent. It about 2 minutes to meet up and about the same to take it down. It didn't seem much sturdier the the Ozark tent but people say they last.

aaen

Adventurer
Old thread, but why not just get some ice fishing tents? They are the exact same thing, just stick a group mat down.

MOguy

Explorer
Old thread, but why not just get some ice fishing tents? They are the exact same thing, just stick a group mat down.

If it rains water can get into the tent too easily if you don't have a floor built into the tent, unless you are placing the tent on a platform off the ground.

Bugs and critter would be able to get in easier also.

reaver

I've got the 4 person coleman instant tent, but they make bigger sizes. I can set it up in less than 5 minutes by myself. The poles are definitely sturdy, but we'll see how it does after this year with multiple uses with the family.

dbhost

4 room tent is going to be stupid huge, heavy, and hard to set up even being an instant tent. I think the closest you are going to find at a reasonable price is going to be something like the Ozark Trail 20x10 Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent. Mind you, I personally dislike Ozark Trail tents, but this does suit your requirement... Why one giant tent instead of 2 smaller ones? The issue with the Ozark Trail tents is that OT does not rate them for use in any conditions beyond a perfect gentle summer afternoon in your backyard.

Now that is reportedly the "official stance" of Ozark Trail. HOWEVER, I have heard good things from actual owners / users of Ozark Trail tents.

FWIW, my all time favorite tent has been my Coleman Sundome 6 10x12 from 2005, sadly I loaned it to a friend to take his kids to scout camp and have yet to get it back, 2 years later...

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
4 room tent is going to be stupid huge, heavy, and hard to set up even being an instant tent. I think the closest you are going to find at a reasonable price is going to be something like the Ozark Trail 20x10 Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent. Mind you, I personally dislike Ozark Trail tents, but this does suit your requirement... Why one giant tent instead of 2 smaller ones? The issue with the Ozark Trail tents is that OT does not rate them for use in any conditions beyond a perfect gentle summer afternoon in your backyard.

Now that is reportedly the "official stance" of Ozark Trail. HOWEVER, I have heard good things from actual owners / users of Ozark Trail tents.

FWIW, my all time favorite tent has been my Coleman Sundome 6 10x12 from 2005, sadly I loaned it to a friend to take his kids to scout camp and have yet to get it back, 2 years later...

the large Ozark tent I got was a 3 room and wasn't any bigger (probably lighter) than if I got two smaller ones that would end up collectively being as large as the Ozark Trails tent. However it sucked to setup and take down. It was advertised as quick and easy, one person. You need two full-size taller people to set it up. Because my wife is shorter than those that Ozark Trails anticipated we were unable to but it up and therefore not able to take it down. I just waded it up, wrapped a bungee around it, and through it in the back of my car. I then shoved it in a cart and dragged it into Walmart, took my bungee or, it folded out, the cashier laughed and gave me my money back.

dbhost

Ability for shorter people to set up, or at least help set up is VERY important for my wife and I. My lovely bride is 5' 0" so yeah, if it's too tall for her to help, and needs 2 people, it's not an option for us...

dbhost

Just FWIW, I have been looking for a good quality instant tent, 10x12ish with at least a 6' interior center height. Looking at the reviews of the Coleman, and Ozark Trail models, I am getting a bad feeling about these tents.

The idea here is to minimze futzing with poles. I have no qualms setting up a simple dome tent, I'm probably going to go with another SunDome 6, but the newer ones are 10x10 and lack the second door my older model had.... I'd really like my old tent back!

2 simple poles with speed clips, and one to support the rain fly...

Unfortunately I digress.

What did you ever find that works for you?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles