Large insta tent

MOguy

Explorer
Ability for shorter people to set up, or at least help set up is VERY important for my wife and I. My lovely bride is 5' 0" so yeah, if it's too tall for her to help, and needs 2 people, it's not an option for us...

For me I wanted a tent one person could set up quickly and easily and that is how the Ozark trail tent was advertised. The Core tent I got is easily set up and taken down by one person. I like to set up camp quickly and get on with the fun. One person sets up the tent, another collects fire wood, another get other things organized etc.

dbhost

For me I wanted a tent one person could set up quickly and easily and that is how the Ozark trail tent was advertised. The Core tent I got is easily set up and taken down by one person. I like to set up camp quickly and get on with the fun. One person sets up the tent, another collects fire wood, another get other things organized etc.

Well, please keep us posted. The long time brands that used to stand for premium quality are not living up to the standards they once set... I've seen the Core tents on Amazon, and my curiosity is up.

Overlanding is a bit of a tall word for what I am doing. I am boondocking on what little public camping available land there is throughout the Southwest. I have back issues, and need to simplify setup /take down.

I am running a balancing act between simplicity and comfort...

And some items are driven by climate. Like Air Conditioning...

My long term goals are a custom built truck topper / camper... Not a full slide in, but rather an overgrown home brewed topper...

Reactions: WVI

MOguy

Explorer
Well, please keep us posted. The long time brands that used to stand for premium quality are not living up to the standards they once set... I've seen the Core tents on Amazon, and my curiosity is up.

Overlanding is a bit of a tall word for what I am doing. I am boondocking on what little public camping available land there is throughout the Southwest. I have back issues, and need to simplify setup /take down.

I am running a balancing act between simplicity and comfort...

And some items are driven by climate. Like Air Conditioning...

My long term goals are a custom built truck topper / camper... Not a full slide in, but rather an overgrown home brewed topper...

I used it a few times over the summer. It has been in the rain and some wind. I don't use the rain fly, I have a LARGE tarp I wrap over it when it rains. It took the wind and rain fine. I even have an air-conditioner that I have used in it.

It is very easy to take up and down, even with just one person.

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_121559090.jpg
    IMG_20190705_121559090.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20

dbhost

I used it a few times over the summer. It has been in the rain and some wind. I don't use the rain fly, I have a LARGE tarp I wrap over it when it rains. It took the wind and rain fine. I even have an air-conditioner that I have used in it.

It is very easy to take up and down, even with just one person.

Okay now you've done it... Question time...

1. What BTU output is that AC unit?
  2. Do you use it off grid?
  3. If used off grid, how do you power it?
  4. How do you get the zipper to close in around it better to keep bugs, snakes and the like out?
  5. Is the unit you are using powerful enough to keep the tent cool, particularly at night / when sleeping?
I think I have mentioned this before, but my favorite setup so far is my older 10x12 Coleman SunDome 2 pole tent. It has a front, and a back door. I would put my 5K BTU window unit in the back door, and cover the whole tent with a silver tarp. The tarp goes a LONG way to keeping the heat out, and the cool in. I now have the Swiss Gear 10x20. The 5K BTU unit is kind of small for that, but really kind of maxxes out the generator.

I power with a Harbor Freight Tailgator 2 stroke generator. It's noisy, but the noise can be somewhat mitigated. I use foam anti fatigue mats set up as a cube, the kind you use to cushion a kids play room, as a silencer box. Given that, and at least a 25' distance, and some vegetation, the noise disappears...

I am hoping to step up to a 2KW inverter 4 stroke generator sometime this year maybe...

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Okay now you've done it... Question time...

1. What BTU output is that AC unit?
  2. Do you use it off grid?
  3. If used off grid, how do you power it?
  4. How do you get the zipper to close in around it better to keep bugs, snakes and the like out?
  5. Is the unit you are using powerful enough to keep the tent cool, particularly at night / when sleeping?
I think I have mentioned this before, but my favorite setup so far is my older 10x12 Coleman SunDome 2 pole tent. It has a front, and a back door. I would put my 5K BTU window unit in the back door, and cover the whole tent with a silver tarp. The tarp goes a LONG way to keeping the heat out, and the cool in. I now have the Swiss Gear 10x20. The 5K BTU unit is kind of small for that, but really kind of maxxes out the generator.

I power with a Harbor Freight Tailgator 2 stroke generator. It's noisy, but the noise can be somewhat mitigated. I use foam anti fatigue mats set up as a cube, the kind you use to cushion a kids play room, as a silencer box. Given that, and at least a 25' distance, and some vegetation, the noise disappears...

I am hoping to step up to a 2KW inverter 4 stroke generator sometime this year maybe...
it is about the smallest window AC you can get, I run it off a Honda 2200 watt generator. It is one of The Quiet Ones and this air conditioner runs on the generators quieter setting.

The air conditioner will keep the tent cool at night, at least in my area. It will cool it down during the day but depending on how much sun you're in will depend on how effective it is.

My generator would run a large air conditioner but it would not be able to stay on the Eco Mode / quieter mode. It would draw more power and the generator would make more noise.

my tent has two doors, I put the AC in one on top of milk crate and zip it around the best I can.

dbhost

The tent I want to replace, is actually in very good condition, it's just a LOT of work to set up and take down due to its complex pole design.

It's a Wenger Swiss Gear Appenzell that my wife bought at Sams Club when we were dating. She LOVES huge tents...

313B7R560NL.jpg

As you can see there are these tip outs in the side rooms, those are windows. I put the AC on a milk crate and push it right up against the window screen on the side room we keep the beds on. We use 2 double high twins to make 1 super comfy king... Anyway, I use sping clamps from Harbor Freight to clip a nylon hunk around the opening as best we can, and the AC itself to stop air leakage.

69374_I.jpg

Unless I win the lotto, I don't think a Honda generator is going to be in my budget. Too many other expenses to deal with, and I'd rather spend the $$ travelling and building the repari budget back up. So I am leaning heavily toward the Westinghouse iGen 2200. Just a little bit more $$ than the HF Predator, with a better warranty, and less fuel use...

FWIW, as much as I use it, the HF Tailgator really isn;t a bad unit. It runs my AC, and keeps my battery charged up for my CPAP and USB chargers which is about all I need. I keep food cold in a cooler so no fridge for me...
It does drink more fuel than I like, but that is kind of to be expected considering the type of engine it uses. And I have to carry additional stuff to keep it quiet...

Some things to note for those interested in air conditioning a tent...

#1. Use the smallest size tent you are comfortable with. My setup, the bedroom and middle room stays cool. The opposite side? No way. I keep it zipped up and closed off. Clothes storage...
#2. Use a good tarp to close off your bug screening. Silver with the shiny side outward to reflect heat from the sun, and stop cooled / hot air interchange...

The big issues I have with this setup are.

#1. Complexity. If I could get a good quality instant set up type tent that was roomy enough for my wife, but not too huge, that had an AC port factory built in, I would be all over that. They are few and far between though.
#2. Diffucult set up. THis is an issue with the Swiss Gear tent. 10 poles, and countless strap adjusters for the rainfly. Just a lousy design. My wife loves it, I am not a fan.
#3. Too many pieces. Again, integrated AC boot would be better.
#4. Air leakage. Most tents are designed for passive cooling. I.E. allowing easy flow through ventilation to let natural breezes cool it off. THat is not desireable for air conditioning. You need to close off the bug netting. I've seen some folks that will cut to size block offs from either heavier nylon, or a poly tarp, and velcro over the mesh with peel and stick velcro.

I'll get there. The Core tents look good. And I am not allergic to adding an AC boot should I be able to get my local tailor shop to be willing to do the work...

Last edited:

aaen

Adventurer
If it rains water can get into the tent too easily if you don't have a floor built into the tent, unless you are placing the tent on a platform off the ground.

Bugs and critter would be able to get in easier also.

Hmm, I have yet to see that happen with the many that own them or heard about the complaints from it. , but I could see that being an issue, will need to talk tony buddy who uses his. I Know he puts it on a tarp, he may also have a floor for it to as i know many of them have that option as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles