laptop power question.

BreckBJ44

Observer
I am trying to powera laptop and ipod charger for a 6 week trip and am looking for a 24v inverter. I found this one online. Any feedback or reviews would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=ML400-24

Here are the specs.

24V DC to AC 400 Watt Power Inverter
This inverter plugs into your cigarette lighter to power laptops, cell phone chargers and other small electronic devices in your vehicle!
Features

400 watts continuous power
800 watts peak power
Provides 3.3 Amps
Anodized aluminum case provides durability
Built-in Cooling Fan
External, Replaceable 40 Amp spade-type Fuse
120 volt AC outlet
Overload Indicator
Power ON/OFF Switch
Cigarette lighter plug

Specifications

Output Wave Form Modified Sinewave
No-load draw < 0.08 amp (24V)
Efficiency Up to 90%
Input voltage range 20-30 VDC
Over voltage shutdown over 30 VDC
Under voltage shutdown under 20 VDC
Low voltage alarm Audible at 20.6 VDC
Overload shutdown Yes
Thermal shutdown Yes
Short circuit shutdown Yes
AC receptacle Two 3-Prong
Warranty 1 year
Inverter weight 2.6 lbs
Dimensions (W x H x D) 5 x 2.25 x 7.25 in.
Weight 5 lbs.

Would this work or should I go bigger? This one is 35$

Kraig

Markgyver

Observer
I have a little coleman one I bought at Big Lots it fits in a cup holder and it can power my laptop and fairly good size printer with no problems.

Its 400 w output

I think the one you are looking at will meet your needs fine.

BreckBJ44

Observer
Yup

Yeah, my truck is a 1981 BJ44 Toyota Land Cruiser from Japan through New Zealand. Stock 24v system, but I intend to put a second 12v alternator and third battery in an isolated loop to power a second fuse panel for all of my accessories that are WAY cheaper in 12v (radio, OR lights, other stuff).

So the modified sine wave is alright? I have heard it may be an issue.

I don't know that much about electrical systems so... thanks!

K

the dude

Adventurer
BreckBJ44 said:
Yeah, my truck is a 1981 BJ44 Toyota Land Cruiser from Japan through New Zealand. Stock 24v system, but I intend to put a second 12v alternator and third battery in an isolated loop to power a second fuse panel for all of my accessories that are WAY cheaper in 12v (radio, OR lights, other stuff).

So the modified sine wave is alright? I have heard it may be an issue.

I don't know that much about electrical systems so... thanks!

K

Buy yourself a 24-12V inverter and save the hassle of a second alt. It's a PITA. I removed the one that was on my BJ40. I have a wiring diagram of a inverter with 3rd battery if you want to see it, it's really simple to do.

The money you save on accessories will be minimal. I don't know how long you have had your rig, but you will find that short of a few items, you will learn to love your 24V system. If you notice, the 12V inverters are near the same price as the 24V

Those inverters you posted will work great. I have a 1500W unit (different brand but i am guessing near identical) and it works great for everything.

762X39

Explorer
the dude said:
Buy yourself a 24-12V inverter and save the hassle of a second alt. It's a PITA.
I second that.You can get 24 to 12 converters in 5,10 and 20 amp capacities to run your 12 volt stuff (most 12 volt stuff like cel phone chargers and DVD players are low draw).I have a 10 amp 24 to 12 in my Unimog and it's plenty to recharge my phone. My Garmin Map60 GPS is rated 6 to 32 volts so I run it straight off the 24 volt system.
Modified sine wave is only not suitable for some switching supply battery chargers for some cordless powertools. The ones that are affected usually say so on the label.True sinewave converters are getting cheaper now that the Chinese are making them and a 400 watt size is getting common.

Robthebrit

Explorer
some switched mode power supplies don't like modified sine wave inverters and pretty much everything electronic use them. Its not that they will fail straight away but they will most definitely fail at some point and way before they would naturally fail. Dissipating more power than intended is the common failure with any device running on a modified sine wave.

Some appliances that are purely inductive loads, old AC motors for example, won't start at all. This is true for all inverters weather they are modified sine or pure.

When i was selected the items for my truck I only bought things that would natively run on 12v or had proper 12v adapters. Running an inverter to power a device which ultimately converts AC back to DC is very inefficient and wastes the limited power we have in these trucks.

If you want to power a laptop from a car look at an vehicle power adapter for your laptop, most of them run natively on 12 and/or 24v. Do choose the power adapter carefully because a cheap DC to DC is going to be no more efficient than an inverter.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94